How to activate CCS charging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys,

I bought a second hand e-Golf m.y. 2015. It has CCS-connector, but it won't start charging when connected to a fast charger. I took the car to official VW workshop for repair, but they couldn't fix the problem. It took 3 weeks for them to realize that this car has not been equipped with CCS fast charge option originally. (CCS is optional accessory in Germany).

As I said, car has CCS-connector. And according to the workshop, all cables and other accessories for the CCS are installed also. Only thing that is missing are the correct parameters and configurations in the car software.

Is it possible to enable fast charging by changing some values with VCDS? Does anyone know which parameters should be changed?

It is really a weird case. All the cables etc. look like they have been installed originally by VW, or by a very skilled mechanic.

This is news to me. Even in the original 2014 German release, I don't remember seeing anything about DC fast charging requiring a software unlock

Poke around the menu and you should see a setting for maximum current when doing L1/L2 AC charging. Perhaps there's a option around there for DC fast charging on/off.

BenCarljamin said:
It is really a weird case. All the cables etc. look like they have been installed originally by VW, or by a very skilled mechanic.

Retrofitting DC charging hardware would be ridiculously complex if someone didn't have a plan for the software activation aspect. You have to dismount the traction battery to run the cable to the charge port! How fast is the AC charger? 7.2 or 3.6kW?

There is no option to turn on Fast charging in the menu. But I believe it could be done with VCDS.

This car has 3,6kW charger on board. I know the retrofit for the DC charging would be almost impossible for DIY-person. But anyway this car has everything installed. I don't know by whom, maybe even by manufacturer? But still VW dealer claims that this car was originally sold without DC charge option, and they can't (or won't) turn it on.

So, can anyone help me with activation?

I have NEVER heard of a car that has a CCS-connector but no ability to charge with CCS.

On eGolfs without the CCS, the two large pins below the round connector are missing. It is just a blank panel.

My guess is that the original non-CCS charging port was damaged, and was replaced with one with the CCS port but the two extra wires are not connected to anything.

RonDawg said:
My guess is that the original non-CCS charging port was damaged, and was replaced with one with the CCS port but the two extra wires are not connected to anything.

This is my guess too.

Which charging related modules do you see in VCDS?

That would explain it, but the dealership told me the cables are also installed. They even measured some resistance values etc. because at first they thought the cables are damaged.

Which charging related modules do you see in VCDS?

I don't have VCDS, so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll try to find one and give it a try.

Back