JuiceBox Green

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoulesThief said:
I am beginning to wonder if this is just supposed to be an SAE combo feature only, and not a J-1772 feature? Someone with a 2016 SE with the QC charger combo feature upgrade needs to verify this for us? Or at least go visit a dealership and test demonstrate a J-1772 charger connect /disconnect cycle to verify? Do Audi A3 e-trons exhibit the same behavior, I wonder? No SAE combo plug on them, I suppose.

There's certainly nothing in the J1772 base (not CCS) specification about locking the plug. Having it as an option so that someone won't steal a portable charging station makes some sense, I suppose, but it should be something I can disable.

Locking the charge door is particularly stupid too. It's not like someone can siphon energy out of it. And vandals will just look elsewhere for something to damage.

nsayer said:
JoulesThief said:
I am beginning to wonder if this is just supposed to be an SAE combo feature only, and not a J-1772 feature? Someone with a 2016 SE with the QC charger combo feature upgrade needs to verify this for us? Or at least go visit a dealership and test demonstrate a J-1772 charger connect /disconnect cycle to verify? Do Audi A3 e-trons exhibit the same behavior, I wonder? No SAE combo plug on them, I suppose.

There's certainly nothing in the J1772 base (not CCS) specification about locking the plug. Having it as an option so that someone won't steal a portable charging station makes some sense, I suppose, but it should be something I can disable.

Locking the charge door is particularly stupid too. It's not like someone can siphon energy out of it. And vandals will just look elsewhere for something to damage.
Locking Plugs keep other not so honest EVers from unplugging YOUR car because THEIR car is more important to get a charge.

Locking charge doors are important. Sure a vandal can break a window or pop a tire, however a 'really bad' vandal can short circuit your system out with direct access to the plug.

forbin404 said:
Locking Plugs keep other not so honest EVers from unplugging YOUR car because THEIR car is more important to get a charge.

Doesn't apply in my garage. Which is why I want to be able to turn it off.

Locking charge doors are important. Sure a vandal can break a window or pop a tire, however a 'really bad' vandal can short circuit your system out with direct access to the plug.

They totally can't do anything of the sort. That's like saying that if you bend the prongs of your vacuum cleaner together that that will make your vacuum cleaner spontaneously explode. The J1772 connector hot lines feed into the input of an AC-DC power supply. The CCS pins do connect to the battery, but there's a contactor in the way (which is why you can't electrocute yourself by touching them).

And if they want to immobilize the car, they'll just slash the tires like they would any other car (damaging two tires moots having a spare).

I have an OpenEVSE so am able to modify the source code of the unit, and found that you can toggle the pilot pin from -12V to +12 two times, with a 1 second delay between each transition, in order to "wake up" the charging system on the 2015 eGolf. I tried different delays and different toggling sequences, and this sequence has been working perfectly for 14 months. When this pilot pin toggling is done, the amber light near the charge plug on the eGolf will illuminate, and the normal charge process will begin. This doesn't follow the J1772 specification but at least this is an easy work around.

I'm sure the JuiceBox people could implement the same pilot pin toggling. I posted the necessary code change for the OpenEVSE in this thread http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=148

Back