Level two charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eg2ff

Has anyone used a slitter on their dryer to run a 220v charger? Was just thinking of doing this to save on installation.

A dryer outlet is typically 30A, so that would limit you to a 24 amp charger. But you definitely don't want to have a dryer and car charger on the same circuit (it might even be a code violation - but consult an electrician). If you're like me and you have a gas dryer (and an unused dryer outlet), having the outlet relocated to your garage might be an option. I had this option, but opted to have a 50A circuit put in the garage since my breaker box could support it and because the cost was not substantially greater.

eg2ff said:
Has anyone used a slitter on their dryer to run a 220v charger? Was just thinking of doing this to save on installation.

Your e-Golf requires a dedicated circuit line and breaker for recharging. You don't want to burn your home down from an electrical fire by ignoring this need.

This vendor (in USA) has a large selection and good descriptions https://www.bsaelectronics.com/

alteregolf said:
A dryer outlet is typically 30A, so that would limit you to a 24 amp charger. But you definitely don't want to have a dryer and car charger on the same circuit (it might even be a code violation - but consult an electrician). If you're like me and you have a gas dryer (and an unused dryer outlet), having the outlet relocated to your garage might be an option. I had this option, but opted to have a 50A circuit put in the garage since my breaker box could support it and because the cost was not substantially greater.

Ive been using this 30A DPDT Switch to 'share' my dryer circuit for the last 3 years. It wasn't my idea, but something I came across while searching several years ago. The switch goes to no-connection in the center, 1 circuit up, other circuit down. It does not allow the two circuits to operate simultaneously.

Back