nrg EVGo MA DC Combo charger experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the fine print. I get it. JT probably knows this as he is a VW return customer. I am also a return customer - my first car was a 1991 GTI 16V and this e-Golf is my first experience driving a VW since 1996 (when the GTI was stolen).

On VW's website it says: "The e-Golf. All Golf, no gas. Looks like a Golf. Drives like one, too. Just plug it in, charge it up, and enjoy the solid, fun-to-drive ride you know and love."

I have an e-Golf and I don't use DC charging that much. But what bothers me is that VW tells you in bold words that it is like the gas powered Golf but then in the fine print it says it's got limitations. I would call that false advertising.

I sparingly use DC charging just because I usually don't need it, but I plan to use back to back DC charging because I have a long trip planned and no other car to use. I don't think I should need to rent another car for the trip or sit around for 3 hours to save the battery from a bit of fast charging. Of course, I'm leasing the car so I don't need to worry about voiding warranties. This is exactly the reason I didn't buy it. While I want to drive electric, I didn't want to own anything with less than a 40 to 50 kWh battery for this exact reason.

As usual, VW should be more transparent in their advertising. Remember "Clean Diesel"?

I really like the e-Golf but don't like the VW doublespeak.

f1geek said:
Read the fine print. I get it. JT probably knows this as he is a VW return customer. I am also a return customer - my first car was a 1991 GTI 16V and this e-Golf is my first experience driving a VW since 1996 (when the GTI was stolen).

On VW's website it says: "The e-Golf. All Golf, no gas. Looks like a Golf. Drives like one, too. Just plug it in, charge it up, and enjoy the solid, fun-to-drive ride you know and love."

I have an e-Golf and I don't use DC charging that much. But what bothers me is that VW tells you in bold words that it is like the gas powered Golf but then in the fine print it says it's got limitations. I would call that false advertising.

I sparingly use DC charging just because I usually don't need it, but I plan to use back to back DC charging because I have a long trip planned and no other car to use. I don't think I should need to rent another car for the trip or sit around for 3 hours to save the battery from a bit of fast charging. Of course, I'm leasing the car so I don't need to worry about voiding warranties. This is exactly the reason I didn't buy it. While I want to drive electric, I didn't want to own anything with less than a 40 to 50 kWh battery for this exact reason.

As usual, VW should be more transparent in their advertising. Remember "Clean Diesel"?

I really like the e-Golf but don't like the VW doublespeak.

Good on you f1... like before signing a contract, read the fine print. I don't think doing this once or twice, in cool or cold weather, is as big a damaging factor as it is doing it when it's hot out. Batteries generate heat discharging too, if you drive it a bit slower or easier before doing a QC, the battery will be of a lower temp. Doing 20 minutes and getting the charge back up to 80% is also a lot easier on the battery. The last 20%, even getting it to 90%, makes a lot of heat. This is just a FYI. Do as you please, but this is a prime example of why not to buy a used VW e-Golf returned on lease, most owners won't care, it's not theirs, no responsibility for the long term well being of the car.

JoulesThief said:
What is your thought on running the battery down to just short of the "Red" reserve portion, of having the "19 or 18 miles left" warning flashing in the dash, followed by 30 amps at 240v of on board AC charging up to 94% SOC? Is that acceptable, or ?

Shallow charging cycles are better than deep ones. But for some people, they have to use the majority if not almost all the battery capacity every single day, especially in winter.

It's no different than two people with the same car who have the same distance commute, but one is mostly freeway at an average 60 MPH speed and the other is nothing but stop and go the entire distance. Obviously the former is going to be less stressful on the car than the latter.

If you're one of those people whose commute/location/lifestyle/etc. tends to be hard on batteries, you're simply going to have to accept that your battery is not going to last as long as that EVer in Seattle with a 20 mile round trip commute.

Back