Ottawa Canada Winter charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoss

Good day,

I am doing my homework on the egolf.
In my case, the car will be mostly charging outside in my driveway overnight.
With snow in the winter and freezing rain ect... Did any of you encountered any problems with the car charge port being opened at night?

Most EV charger connectors are plastic which may be a problem in the morning?
Maybe snow freezing the charger handle with the charger port?
Maybe extreme cold (-30C) would break some charging port or the door to the charging port?

Thanks

TheBoss said:
Good day,

I am doing my homework on the egolf.
In my case, the car will be mostly charging outside in my driveway overnight.
With snow in the winter and freezing rain ect... Did any of you encountered any problems with the car charge port being opened at night?

Most EV charger connectors are plastic which may be a problem in the morning?
Maybe snow freezing the charger handle with the charger port?
Maybe extreme cold (-30C) would break some charging port or the door to the charging port?

Thanks

with ole fridge freezer magnetic gasket innards you could make a cover for the area that would shield snow shed water ,, I will be charging in the garage so temperatures will be the same ( unheated ) probably going with a Flo unit as it is offered at VW parts

There have been instances where freezing rain has frozen the locking pin on the e-Golf into the locked position. Do a search on how to press or push it back in, to free the charging handle from the vehicle. I see this as problematic in the design.

miimura said:
Here is a story about a home-made cover for the charging connection for an i3. Something similar might be useful if you charge your e-Golf outdoors in the winter.

BMW i3 Life Hack: Charge Port Snow Cover

Hi Miimura,

That Charge port snow cover idea is awesome. I know I will have to come up with something similar.
I hope VW comes up with something made to fit there eventually...

Thanks again.

Back