Picking up my new e-golf tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czar

Hello everyone,

After coming within hours of picking up a Nissan Leaf, I realize that the e-golf was available in my area, test drove it locally, and then negotiated a lease deal over the phone. I am headed out tomorrow morning to take delivery, and I'm wondering if I should be on the lookout for anything? Is there anything that I need to be aware of when I pick it up? Anything that I should ask them specifically to show me? It's an LE. Besides verifying the charger is there, anything else I should look for?

Thanks! :D

Make sure they include the proper MDI cable. My dealer provided the older style 30-pin iPod/iPhone connector which was useless to me. I had to call VW Corporate to get a free lighting connector MDI cable and was told that the dealer should have provided this upon delivery.

Hetz8500 said:
Make sure they include the proper MDI cable. My dealer provided the older style 30-pin iPod/iPhone connector which was useless to me. I had to call VW Corporate to get a free lighting connector MDI cable and was told that the dealer should have provided this upon delivery.

Interesting Hetz.. i was amazed at how and why VW would include the VERY old iPhone connector in a brand new technologically advanced car. I'll call corporate as well to see if I can get one thrown in too. Good tip!

Thanks for the tip on the cable. I will call VW corporate next week since they did not have the right cable - they actually had and gave me the 30 pin to lightning adapter. Given the experience I was inclined not to argue.

The delivery of the vehicle was a really strange experience. I've bought and sold a lot of cars and this was a unique experience. The dealer didn't spend too much time going over the car. We took a brief ride before I left and went over the Eco features and a few other things but not much.

Put about 60 miles on the way home and then did my first charge at the L2 charger that's about a 5 min walk from my house.

606BE360-155D-41AD-8AF8-61046BFAABCB.jpg

After driving the first time at night, very much wishing I'd gotten the SEL.

The steering wheel controls and leatherette seats were what sold me on ththe SEL. I didn't give much thought to the the headlights. Is that what you're referring to?

Hetz8500 said:
The steering wheel controls and leatherette seats were what sold me on ththe SEL. I didn't give much thought to the the headlights. Is that what you're referring to?

Yes. I don't care about the steering wheel controls. Our (yikes) 3 other cars have them. I like the leatherette and that was actually the feature I was keyed in on for comparison - that and the rims. But I couldn't justify $40/month more on the lease payment for them.

But last night on a quick drive out for some frozen yogurt, I felt like I was in the dark ages with the headlights. I know, I know, 1st world problems, but I haven't driven a car with traditional headlights since 2008 I think. It's night and day difference.

There's also the heat pump and cruise control. For resale value, the SEL is the price performer. I was actually disappointed to see VW come out with the LE, as it takes away some of the exclusivity for not all that much savings, as the 5 things are worth much more than 2K.

To me, VW should be promoting the SEL as an exclusive luxury compact right up there with the BMW 328i

Ron

I agree. The debate, however, for me was that this is not a keeper. I am not planning to purchase this after the lease is up. So, hard to justify with a relatively small commute up 5 miles round-trip per day and extra $40 per month. I went back-and-forth on it. I think if there was more availability in my area, the dealers would've been more likely to spend on the price. I'm hopeful that in three years the range gets better and I'll be able to replace it with something more flexible.

I was at a VW dealership last night, the sales person told me, soon VW will no longer offer the LE, only SEL.

tom said:
I was at a VW dealership last night, the sales person told me, soon VW will no longer offer the LE, only SEL.
Remember the old joke about politicians, lawyers and car salesmen: "How can you tell if they're lying? Their lips are moving." While it could be true, never believe anything a car salesperson tells you without independent verification from an official source. Whether through ignorance or dishonesty to make a sale, there has been more disinformation about EVs spread by salespeople than from any other source. BTW, did they just happen to have an LE on the lot, which you were sort of considering? ;)

Just wanted to add that because of this discussion I attempted to contact VW for a lightning adapter both by phone and email and they said that the trade-in of 30-pin was a "promotion" and it's over and that I should buy one for myself.

sacks said:
Just wanted to add that because of this discussion I attempted to contact VW for a lightning adapter both by phone and email and they said that the trade-in of 30-pin was a "promotion" and it's over and that I should buy one for myself.
That's crazy and disappointing. You buy a "state of the art" car and it comes with a cable using Apple's old technology that was discontinued a year ago. I'd keep pestering them until you get someone willing to help you out.

Agreed, but I've tried 3 times, 2 by phone and one by email and gotten the same basic response. It's a car with such amazing technology backed up with such relatively antiquated technology (see discussion on Car-Net for more proof...). Still enjoying the car though.

Back