Purchasing a Used eGolf?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost all of the sources I have consulted state that for the time being it's best to lease EVs only. Do not purchase as their value plummets. I tend to agree and when I look at used EVs it seems very evident that this is the case. Now, I just saw this '15 eGolf SEL with 7k miles for 20K on CarMax. An attractive price for an SEL. Would you consider this deal? The problem is that in a few years this vehicle will be worth probably half the purchase price. Is that a problem...maybe not if I am keeping it for the long term.

How many of you have purchased your eGolf?

Here's the link --> https://www.carmax.com/car/14107375#

eGolf.png

The residual on my 2016 SEL is $14k after my 3-year lease. And used 500e's are selling for ~$4k, i3's for ~$18k, Model S for ~$30k at wholesale auction. I can't find information on e-Golfs but I can't assume its not good. I think $20k for a used, 1-year old, e-Golf is way high. I'd say lease a 2016 while they still have them on lots, take the incentives (that you can't get as a 2nd owner), and run. My lease price was something like $22k, down from the MSRP of $36k.

If you want a cheap lightly-used EV, you'll pay less for a Leaf. eGolfs seem to be holding their value better than the Leaf. A quick search of AutoTrader shows a couple of 2015 Leaf SV's (mid-grade) for under $14k at Surf City Nissan. At Norm Reeves Honda/Irvine they have a 2016 Leaf SV for under $19k, and IIRC this car has the larger 30 kWH battery (the eGolf's is only 24 kWH): http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=90620&modelCode1=LEAF&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D90620%26modelCode1%3DLEAF%26showcaseOwnerId%3D64980369%26mmt%3D%255BNISSAN%255BLEAF%255B%255D%255D%255B%255D%255D%26startYear%3D2015%26makeCode1%3DNISSAN%26maxPrice%3D20000%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2017%26modelCodeList%3DLEAF%26searchRadius%3D75%26makeCodeList%3DNISSAN&showcaseOwnerId=64980369&startYear=2015&numRecords=25&makeCode1=NISSAN&maxPrice=20000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2017&searchRadius=75&listingId=447648254&makeCode1=NISSAN&modelCode1=LEAF

I am purchasing a 2015 SEL-premium that is certified pre owned through VW World Auto for $20,490 with only 1600 miles on it. There are many low mile leases being turned in, you just have to be patient and look every day to find one. The CPO gives you an additional 2 year/24K mile bumper to bumper warranty over the factory one. It also dictates that all original equipment and literature MUST be with the car. So, unless CARMAX matches that with that price then I would seek out one that is CPO.

I missed out on 2 others before I found this one and I jumped on it.

I personally wouldn't purchase an EV unless it has 200+ miles of range. That way, it's not already obsolete and still usable even if the battery life degrades to 70%.

That narrows it down to a used Tesla (still expensive) or used Chevy Bolt, and lease returns on Bolts won't hit the market until 2019. I'm guessing the Bolt will hold its value better than all the EV's with < 100 mile range, but not by much.

joemay7 said:
I personally wouldn't purchase an EV unless it has 200+ miles of range. That way, it's not already obsolete and still usable even if the battery life degrades to 70%.

That depends on your needs. If you need an ICEV substitute, then yes you'll need a 200 mile EV. But if you already have access to one and just want something for commuting, and your commute is short, why not?

I have a short enough commute that I could live with a Leaf that only has 30% of its original capacity left. It won't be able to do anything else, but if it's cheap enough, why not?

If I were just getting into the EV market now and don't mind a used car, I'd be looking at used Leafs myself. For what I paid total out of pocket (including the $2500 state rebate factored in) I could get a slightly-to-somewhat degraded Leaf that will still serve me for several years.

RonDawg said:
joemay7 said:

That depends on your needs. If you need an ICEV substitute, then yes you'll need a 200 mile EV. But if you already have access to one and just want something for commuting, and your commute is short, why not?

I have a short enough commute that I could live with a Leaf that only has 30% of its original capacity left. It won't be able to do anything else, but if it's cheap enough, why not?

If I were just getting into the EV market now and don't mind a used car, I'd be looking at used Leafs myself. For what I paid total out of pocket (including the $2500 state rebate factored in) I could get a slightly-to-somewhat degraded Leaf that will still serve me for several years.

+1 on determine what your daily commuting needs are; OP didn't include where he's from but if we assume you're in CA based on the Carmax listing you posted, there are LOTS of regional EV's to pick from out your way -- out where I am in the Midwest not so much. I've had my used '15 e-Golf LE (had only 1,234 miles on it when I picked it up) for a little over 2 weeks and absolutely love it -- in my case, I had a 5-year old LEAF that could barely make my 40 mile R/T commute in winter; even using cabin heat/defrost on this e-Golf LE I'm still seeing about 30 miles in reserve when I get home so it works fine for me -- cost me about $13K after trading in my LEAF which had reached about the bottom of its depreciation level. This e-Golf may or may not be my 'stop gap' EV while we wait for the Tesla Model 3 but so far has exceeded my expectations (other than Car-net app). I had also looked at new LEAF's but my state dropped its EV rebate program (did get it on the '12 LEAF; my out of pocket after my ICE trade-in, rebate and Fed Tax Credit, etc. was only $17K back then); they offered $199/mo 3 year leases but prefer the flexibility with owning something outright; many, many people simply lease EV's because the tech continues to change so why get locked in but each situation is different; I even looked at used Rav4 EV's, Kia Soul EV's and the others but other than VW most Midwest dealer's that offer these CA compliance EV's won't service them out of state so it limited my choices, perhaps not with the OP.

I bought my 2015 e-Golf SEL, very bright with good vision LED headlights, etc, loaded. I usually go 4 to 6 days between recharges. White with beige interior. I've had it 15 months now, about 9500 miles on it. I have another option for my longer range transportation needs. Get a 240V 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage wired in properly, and your own EVSE so you can recharge, and it's a very, very viable in city mode of transportation for some. I still love the way mine drives.

Don't buy it if all you want is HOV diamond lane access, that will kill the battery quite a bit faster. It's really designed as an urban crawler, a tortoise, not a hare. This car is happiest when you keep the speedo needle at the 12 o'clock position or less. Not 70 mph+ in the HOV lane, your miles per kwh will decline sharply, your recharging frequency will increase and your battery replacement needs will be sooner.

An electric car should not be thought of as disposable like a smart phone or a smart watch. The battery chemistry is the same, and they both need to be tethered, but that's about all they have in common. VW designs for 150k miles with reasonable care from the owner. Key words, reasonable.

Back