SE vs. SEL Premium differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, Googling helps, I guess :)

Just found this at least somewhat informative video on gestures :)

(tl;dr: you can swipe your hand either to the right or left to navigate from screen to screen)

ThatAdamGuy said:
(tl;dr: you can swipe your hand either to the right or left to navigate from screen to screen)

I’ve got the 9.2” Discover Pro with the gesture interface in my 2018 SEL, but it doesn’t really work as consistently as shown in that video. I’d say it works as described maybe a quarter of the time for me. You have to have your hand at exactly the right angle at exactly the right distance for it to work, which is a hassle. Maybe I’m doing something wrong or it’s just wonky, but in my view the feature is not that great and is one of those things that seems like a good idea in theory but in practice is not that compelling. Not a big deal for me as I’m fine just touching the touch screen.

Otherwise, the infotainment system in the SEL with the huge center screen and the integration of the nav maps into the digital dashboard is very cool and actually useful. Apple CarPlay integration also is fast and smooth — plus the screen is wide enough to accommodate 5 icons across rather than the 4 icons in smaller CarPlay screens in other cars. Every time I see a video or photo of the old analog dashboard in the SEs, it just looks very old fashioned to my eyes.

Ah, good to know about the gesture stuff, thanks!

re the digital dashboard... is it possible to put the Android Auto stuff there, or only in the infotainment display? And -- I should know this -- but... does Android Auto require actually tethering the phone via USB or can it work while the phone is wirelessly charging?

ThatAdamGuy said:

re the digital dashboard... is it possible to put the Android Auto stuff there, or only in the infotainment display? And -- I should know this -- but... does Android Auto require actually tethering the phone via USB or can it work while the phone is wirelessly charging?

Android auto and CarPlay are USB only and do not work with digital cockpit. Unfortunately. The built in nav looks very nice there too, as does the way the charge and power bars on the power gauge illuminate behind the needle

Sparklebeard said:
ThatAdamGuy said:

Android auto and CarPlay are USB only and do not work with digital cockpit. Unfortunately. The built in nav looks very nice there too, as does the way the charge and power bars on the power gauge illuminate behind the needle

I've not ever used Android Auto, but if it's like CarPlay, then it requires USB in the e-Golf, as @Sparklebeard points out. CarPlay maps, audio, and messages do not integrate with the digital dashboard at all -- might be different for Android, not sure. If you choose to display "Now Playing" on the digital dashboard and you're listening to audio from CarPlay, it just shows "Apple CarPlay." Would be nice if it were otherwise. I had a rental of a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica recently and the CarPlay audio showed in the Now Playing display on its digital dashboard, so it's definitely technically possible, but for some reason, VW didn't go there with the e-Golf.

Again, Android Auto might be different than CarPlay, but I have a feeling it is the same. Maybe someone else with Android Auto could speak to this.

Overall, though, I think the digital dashboard is well worth it. Very visible and useful information there, plus it just looks cool.

manybees said:
Sparklebeard said:
ThatAdamGuy said:
I've not ever used Android Auto, but if it's like CarPlay, then it requires USB in the e-Golf, as @Sparklebeard points out. CarPlay maps, audio, and messages do not integrate with the digital dashboard at all -- might be different for Android, not sure. If you choose to display "Now Playing" on the digital dashboard and you're listening to audio from CarPlay, it just shows "Apple CarPlay." Would be nice if it were otherwise. I had a rental of a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica recently and the CarPlay audio showed in the Now Playing display on its digital dashboard, so it's definitely technically possible, but for some reason, VW didn't go there with the e-Golf.

My suspicion is that the headunit could handle the incoming information, and CarPlay is definitely sending out the information but Volkswagen probably is using a CANbus somewhere in the line that doesn't pass that information through :( I wonder if that could be reprogrammed.........

Sparklebeard said:
My suspicion is that the headunit could handle the incoming information, and CarPlay is definitely sending out the information but Volkswagen probably is using a CANbus somewhere in the line that doesn't pass that information through :( I wonder if that could be reprogrammed.........

If you (or anyone) figures out how to re-program the car to do that, let us know! I'd definitely be interested.

Does the SEL's autodimming mirror happen to have Homelink buttons, too?

--Chris

manybees said:
Chris said:
Does the SEL's autodimming mirror happen to have Homelink buttons, too?

--Chris
No, they do not.

Which is rather irritating on an SEL, when you consider my 2015 SEL Passat has it, and cost less MSRP than my 2015 e-Golf SEL. If you have an electric car, chances are good you're going to need to open the garage door opener with a signal, so you can pull your e-Golf inside the garage and charge up properly.

In my old Jetta, I replaced the driver's sunshade with one from a Passat that had Homelink buttons ... and the added benefit of being able to pull the shade further back when it was deployed at the door. I also replaced the flip mirror with an autodimming mirror. It'll be nice to have both of those (autodimming and Homelink) again, as soon as I find the correct part number. The 2018 kit from DAP (for the ICE Golf) should work, but I want to make sure before I order it.

--Chris

Just bought the SE today. I had mistakenly understood that it had sensors that'd help me park (but only the SEL would actually park the car), and now getting in and out of my tight 1 car garage is a nail biting experience :\. I knew that it didn't have auto-folding mirrors, but (again, my bad) didn't realize the mirrors aren't even manually foldable.

Agree with what others said: shame VW didn't offer a mid-level trim. I had no interest in leather seats and only minor interest in the digital cockpit and such. But having parking sensors would have been really nice!

ThatAdamGuy said:
I knew that it didn't have auto-folding mirrors, but (again, my bad) didn't realize the mirrors aren't even manually foldable.

The mirrors on the SE and SEL are manually foldable (in a 45-degree upward angle). You can upgrade to power folding mirrors by purchasing (1) the mirrors, (2) the switch, (3) new door modules, and (4) a programming tool such as OBDEleven to activate them. When doing this mod, you also enable approach puddle lights and passenger mirror dipping when you in reverse gear. Around $400 all in.

For parking sensors, I've added them to my van. The kits themselves are less than $20, but you have to wire it up and have be willing to drill into your bumper.

A belated thanks for the info! I did finally figure out how to fold the mirrors manually (takes quite a bit of pressure compared to my last car!). And re the 'upgrade'... that sounds like a reasonable cost, except that I'd need to pay the labor costs to have someone do this (I'm not comfortable tackling it on my own), so that'd likely get pretty pricey :(. I've gone the low-tech route for now, just padding my garage in strategic spots. But I guess that won't help me in parking garages and the like.

Re parking sensors... those are just for helping with front and rear distance, right, nothing on the side?

I still do wish I had bought that SEL instead :\. Shame there's no after-purchase (official) upgrade option.

ThatAdamGuy said:
A belated thanks for the info! I did finally figure out how to fold the mirrors manually (takes quite a bit of pressure compared to my last car!). And re the 'upgrade'... that sounds like a reasonable cost, except that I'd need to pay the labor costs to have someone do this (I'm not comfortable tackling it on my own), so that'd likely get pretty pricey :(. I've gone the low-tech route for now, just padding my garage in strategic spots. But I guess that won't help me in parking garages and the like.

Re parking sensors... those are just for helping with front and rear distance, right, nothing on the side?

I still do wish I had bought that SEL instead :\. Shame there's no after-purchase (official) upgrade option.

I learned long ago, when I wasn't interested as much in working on my cars any more, to buy the car new, set up with all the features I felt I had to have. If it meant spending more for an upgraded package that had some features I really didn't need, then so be it. I wanted leatherette interior and HID or LED headlights, and I wanted a tan interior color that is cooler in the summer time, since it gets quite hot here in Southern CA. To get those, and a whole bunch more features, I had to pay the premium price for the SEL in the 2015 model. Came with a better heater too (which I rarely if ever use) and a better steering wheel with hands free phone, (which I do use). If you have to save longer, than so be it, hindsight being 20/20 will only help you the next time. Get it right the first time.

You're absolutely right. One of the well-documented amusing / infuriating things about human nature is that we tend to freak out about money from a perspective of percentages vs. absolute amounts.

In my case, it was a choice between paying an effective (after taxes, rebates, credits) ~$16.5K vs. $23.5K. I balked because, wow, that's a 42% increase (!). But in the grand scheme of things, while $7K isn't chicken-feed, it's certainly not remotely beyond my means (I wouldn't have to borrow, or skimp on something else to pay it).

Lesson learned.

(in my defense, this is only the 2nd car I've ever bought in my life, so I don't have a lot of practice at it :D)

ThatAdamGuy said:

Yes, parking sensors are just for helping with front/rear distance when parallel parking. The factory blind spot monitors (which are independent of the parking sensors) are also used for rear cross traffic alerts.

ThatAdamGuy said:
You're absolutely right. One of the well-documented amusing / infuriating things about human nature is that we tend to freak out about money from a perspective of percentages vs. absolute amounts.

In my case, it was a choice between paying an effective (after taxes, rebates, credits) ~$16.5K vs. $23.5K. I balked because, wow, that's a 42% increase (!). But in the grand scheme of things, while $7K isn't chicken-feed, it's certainly not remotely beyond my means (I wouldn't have to borrow, or skimp on something else to pay it).

Lesson learned.

(in my defense, this is only the 2nd car I've ever bought in my life, so I don't have a lot of practice at it :D)

Hey, you can always try to sell the car and get the SEL instead. There is a considerable interest about the car from folks in states who are not (formally) allowed to buy them (OH, TX). Then, there is also Carvana. Just for kicks, I tried to price out my SE but in the end I got the 'error' message that the car 'broke' its pricing algorithm and that I will need to leave my personal info to get in touch with an actual person to complete the quote. Just an idea. Certainly, not ideal but there is a remote possibility you won't actually loose money on the sale.

Heh, intriguing idea that, yes, had crossed my mind!

I'd probably wanna get my PG&E rebate filed and back first, though, right?
And what would this mean for the $7500 Fed tax credit? Hmm.

ThatAdamGuy said:
I'd probably wanna get my PG&E rebate filed and back first, though, right?
And what would this mean for the $7500 Fed tax credit? Hmm.

The $7500 federal tax credit and $800 PG&E rebate are both simply tied to the purchase with no strings attached, as far as I know. You'd want to get the PG&E check in your hand first - mine took only a couple weeks if I recall. Also make sure you keep a record of the vehicle's sale date/amount, battery capacity and weight for 2019 tax purposes.

The thing you would have to forfeit is the pro-rated amount of the state $2500 rebate any any county rebates (Santa Cruz and Monterey are the only ones I'm aware of that offer this). If you had the car for for 6 months, 6/30 = 1/5 so you keep $500 of the rebate and send $2000 back to them.

Your resale value will take a hit due to the fact that used EVs don't qualify for most rebates, but you may find a buyer who doesn't qualify for the state $2500 anyway in which case it wouldn't matter to them. Since your sale price would like be $7-8k less than new , buying used saves them some money on taxes and registration fees, so in the end everyone kind of breaks even.

Back