SoCal VW e-golf SEL lease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah the parking lot is pretty far from the building. I'll only be living like this for about two weeks so, no big deal.

Forgot to mention that the dealer gave me the HOV stickers too so I got to make use of that right away on the trip home.

Well, I was unable to track down that $29,354.00 price anywhere in SoCal.

(The original poster indicated to me that it was a Costco member deal, but the Costco member price at the dealership I went to was exactly $700 under invoice, so $33-something.)

I was only able to drum up a couple prices south of $30k on the last couple days of the month, but in the end decided to hold off due to buyer's fatigue. I can see why VW apparently sold only 293 of these in June.

Supposedly there was some kind of new promotion from VW starting after Independence Day weekend, so I waited another week and now I'm getting slightly lower quotes, but not lower enough! The residual value (on a 36/10K lease) has dropped from 37% to 36% and the additional depreciation actually makes the lease work out to cost MORE than it did last month. Go figure.

If anyone hears of a good deal on the SEL, I'd love to know. I was hoping to have this in my garage before the end of this month, but I'm reassessing my other options, which include both jumping brands (e.g. to Fiat) and just holding off until the 2016s come out.

anesthete said:
I'm reassessing my other options, which include both jumping brands (e.g. to Fiat) and just holding off until the 2016s come out.
I don't think the 500e is in the same league as the e-Golf, but I've never driven it, so what do I know...

If you really care about things like CarPlay, I would strongly consider waiting to see what they do with the 2016s. The new head unit is already available in the 2016 e-Golf in Europe with CarPlay active. Also, once they announce what will be in the US 2016 e-Golf, they will probably have to make the deal better on the remaining 2015s.

Anyway, this is the kind of stuff that I really hate about dealing with car dealers. I know what you mean about "buyer's fatigue". VW can change their promotions with the dealers at a whim, including the residuals, so the net result to the customer is always in flux. Anyway, if you can get the dealer selling price below $30k on a SEL, that's a pretty good deal. There's nothing you or the dealer can do about the residual.

This is my – yikes – fourth car. We have 2 Land Rovers and a fully loaded Mini Countryman, and I can tell you unequivocally, this is the nicest to drive. I only got the LE, so I imagine an SEL is a bit nicer. None of the other electrics I've seen combine the elegance, sportiness/fun, handling, and overall package the e-Golf offers.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't pay much less for an LE than what you were quoted for an SEL.

anesthete said:
Well, I was unable to track down that $29,354.00 price anywhere in SoCal.

(The original poster indicated to me that it was a Costco member deal, but the Costco member price at the dealership I went to was exactly $700 under invoice, so $33-something.)

I was only able to drum up a couple prices south of $30k on the last couple days of the month, but in the end decided to hold off due to buyer's fatigue. I can see why VW apparently sold only 293 of these in June.

Supposedly there was some kind of new promotion from VW starting after Independence Day weekend, so I waited another week and now I'm getting slightly lower quotes, but not lower enough! The residual value (on a 36/10K lease) has dropped from 37% to 36% and the additional depreciation actually makes the lease work out to cost MORE than it did last month. Go figure.

If anyone hears of a good deal on the SEL, I'd love to know. I was hoping to have this in my garage before the end of this month, but I'm reassessing my other options, which include both jumping brands (e.g. to Fiat) and just holding off until the 2016s come out.

Back