Some NRG Evgo stations don't support e-Golf?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC fast charging stations in the Bay Area started popping up in the Bay Area this year. Among those that support CCS / SAE Combo, the only option seems to be to the be NRG stations being installed outside the Whole Foods stores in San Francisco, San Jose, Redwood City, and Santa Cruz.

I downloaded the PlugShare app a few days ago and it's reporting that the one in Santa Cruz doesn't support the e-Golf. WTF? It looks like the one in SF clearly does. Is this a reporting error, or are the stations somehow different?

http://www.plugshare.com/?location=70008

ABB Dual charger SAE and CHAdeMo macines support e-Golf recharging. See Imura's post on fast charging in the technical section, do a search there.

Yes, the known Northern California locations that have the BTC chargers that are not compatible with the e-Golf are:

Santa Cruz
Sunnyvale (Fresh & Easy)
Gilroy

I am the one that added the notes to the Plugshare entries. When they finally connected the NRG network status to the Gilroy chargers, they removed my note. I think I'll put it back. I am hopeful that NRG will eventually install a new firmware from BTC that is rumored to be available. I will probably call NRG and bug them about this issue monthly until I get some affirmative answer from them. I just don't have time to go there and repeatedly try to see if they've fixed it.

miimura said:
Yes, the known Northern California locations that have the BTC chargers that are not compatible with the e-Golf are:

Santa Cruz
Sunnyvale (Fresh & Easy)
Gilroy

I am the one that added the notes to the Plugshare entries. When they finally connected the NRG network status to the Gilroy chargers, they removed my note. I think I'll put it back. I am hopeful that NRG will eventually install a new firmware from BTC that is rumored to be available. I will probably call NRG and bug them about this issue monthly until I get some affirmative answer from them. I just don't have time to go there and repeatedly try to see if they've fixed it.

BMWtech will be in a position today to check if it works or not, coming up from King City, i think Gilroy is on his agenda.

miimura said:
I am hopeful that NRG will eventually install a new firmware from BTC that is rumored to be available.

Ah, so this is strictly a software thing? Sorry, I'm a little clueless what/who BTC is.

I did notice that the Sunnyvale Fresh n Easy location is "updated to work with e-Golf", so that's re-assuring:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/63491

Not too concerned about the Santa Cruz one since I live here, but it concerned me as being unable to fast charge at the Silicon Valley stations would be a big problem.

johnnylingo said:
miimura said:
I am hopeful that NRG will eventually install a new firmware from BTC that is rumored to be available.

Ah, so this is strictly a software thing? Sorry, I'm a little clueless what/who BTC is.

I did notice that the Sunnyvale Fresh n Easy location is "updated to work with e-Golf", so that's re-assuring:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/63491

Not too concerned about the Santa Cruz one since I live here, but it concerned me as being unable to fast charge at the Silicon Valley stations would be a big problem.
Yes, this is new. Interesting that the station must be fully activated before plugging in an e-Golf.

104701.jpg

JoulesThief said:
BMWtech will be in a position today to check if it works or not, coming up from King City, i think Gilroy is on his agenda.
Salinas is before Gilroy, so he would pretty much have to charge on the ABB unit there first and may not need to stop in Gilroy at all, depending on destination and subsequent charging locations.

Ah, I checked the software version on the Santa Cruz one this morning, and it's 7.8 as opposed to 7.9.2. I guess that explains it.

Very annoying they would have variance in support depending on location. Considering these things are online it should be pretty easy to just upgrade it remotely. But from what I understand these NRG stations seem to be haphazardly managed.

Back