Soon to be in Massachusetts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the phone with my Local VW dealer in the Metro-West area of Massachusetts.

Outside Charger was installed last month ( July)
Sales going for training in late Sept/Oct
Service probably going about that time too.

They are thinking that the E-Golf will be here in November.

Such a shame to sell in Winter time in New England...

I may wait till Spring if that is true.

They didn't' know about price at this point.
but the Woman was very nice in answering my questions.

Cool - I've been looking for (MA) dealers that would have a clue! B-) Who'd you go to?

For background:
- Live NW of Boston (by NH border)
- Active E - Electronaut
- Model S P85 owner
- Passed on early-order "Electronaut Edition" i3 for a variety of reasons...

But *VERY* geeked about possibly getting an e-Golf instead! B-)

Rob

snooproberob said:
Cool - I've been looking for (MA) dealers that would have a clue! B-) Who'd you go to?

For background:
- Live NW of Boston (by NH border)
- Active E - Electronaut
- Model S P85 owner
- Passed on early-order "Electronaut Edition" i3 for a variety of reasons...

But *VERY* geeked about possibly getting an e-Golf instead! B-)

Rob

Very interesting to me to hear that a P85 owner, and former Electronaut would prefer an eGolf over an i3. I had figured that the i3 would be a better driving experience (performance, handling, etc), and a more premium feel. Would you share what appeals to you about the eGolf over the i3?

There has been some general complaining (in the BMW fan group) about the i brand being a different/new type of BMW - and lacking some of the appeal of the original BMW brand ("The Ultimate Driving Machine"). While I like the styling on both i3 and i8, that's a minor factor (I've been a BMW fan since the 80's - 318i ;-). And - no question the i3 drives quite nicely - better than the Active E :)

But really it boiled down to four things:
1) BMW's lease residual value was horrible - which to me said "we don't back the value of this car as we don't know how it will do" (contrasted to Tesla's approach).
2) They decided to retain the transmission hump strip in the back seat - basically making this a 4 person car instead of 5 - WTF?
3) It's a completely new car - with no aftermarket parts (wheels, sports tuning, etc) - and I had concerns about if and how fast that stuff would appear (turns out it was pretty quick - a pleasant surprise! ;-).
4) The price point was too high for a car that - realistically in my cold weather, hilly driving environment, will probably be 65-70 miles of range in the winter or other bad driving conditions (rain, snow, wind, highway speeds).

I love the size of the i3 and e-Golf over the Tesla - but in terms of practicality, the Tesla is a highway speed car, that has very predictable energy consumption at 65-75mph, with different passenger and cargo loads, and it's got tons of space (read - is like a family wagon or small minivan for people with young kids).

I've always been a Golf fan (drove and considered GTI and R in 2013)... so I view a 5 passenger electric flavor a great option, that even has tons of after-market stuff available at the get go :) So - will see what it drives like, what the pricing/residual is like, and go from there...

It's here in MA...! :)

I just traded my 2010 GTI for an e-Golf. Personally I didn't like the look of the Leaf or the i3, so I'm glad it came along. When my lease is up maybe the 'affordable' Tesla will be on the road, but for now the e- Golf is my ideal BEV.

I think I saw it on the lot at VW in Bedford ma (next to Lexington).

I think I may go with the Soul EV - NOT for the looks - but because it has a better Mile per Full Charge then any of the others.

Tony Williams will be doing a drive like he did with the Spark EV, Soul, Leaf and Rav one.

I was to know what he gets before I decide on the E-Golf or Soul EV.

Still VERY disappointed that the E-Golf didn't keep the Liquid Battery battery heater/cooler. THAT alone was one of it's biggest selling points for the Cold Climate here.

Well we just bought one in MA. In our case from Wellesley VW. We pick it up in a day or so, depending on when the registry coughs up a plate. (we want the EV plate).

Dealer was generally clueless, we are their first electric sale. In particular to get the color combo we wanted, they have to swap with Old Saybrook. They sent someone that had no clue about electrics (the usual gopher) to drive it down, (120 miles) on the coldest day on record. He got about 60 miles from Boston, then started charging with the 110 volt charger, not knowing how to find a level 2.

I suspect ours will come back on a flatbed, rather than have the gopher drive it...

Anyway, the dealer now knows that EV plates exist, and our sales person has learned the difference between levels 1, 2, and 3 chargers, (and the level 3 connector conspiracy) and that plugshare and chargepoint will show him how to find them on the road, and this forum has a good list of EV chargers.

I bought mine in Medford where they have two sales guys who really know their stuff on the eGolf.
I looked at Minuteman in Bedford first because it is MUCH closer to my house but they were clueless about the car. I knew more than the salesman after half a day of online research. Medford actually directed me to one of the knowledgable guys when I went in saying I was interested in the eGolf. In Bedford, the first salesman wanted to keep the sale even though he didn't know the car. From what I heard at Medford, each dealership (that's selling the eGolf) sent two sales and two service people to training, so they should all have someone who knows the product.

Back