Standard Charging Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeedub

So like many others I have had issues with the scheduled charging features of my 2015 E-Golf SEL. Things would work as expected for a few days and then blam, no charge. Anyway, I gave up on that and have been trying another method for the past month or so. I charge at my office for free, so I dont need to think about off peak hours, it would be nice if the schedule worked and the climate control came on as I was getting ready to leave but I typically just turn it on through my phone.

All I am really trying to accomplish is to get an 80% charge (to be nice to the battery) Monday through Thursday and then on Friday charge to 100% to make it through the weekend without charging. So what I have done is set the minimum charge level to 80% so whenever I plug in and the battery level is below 80% it will start charging up to 80% and stop. When I first started doing this I was able to get to 100% charge (at least I am pretty sure I was) by pressing the standard charge button next to the plug on the car. It would light up and charge to 100 percent without issue. It was my understanding that this button set the charging mode to standard and ignored any of the charging schedules or profiles.

Well the past few times I have tried this the car only charges up to 80% and then stops. It seems to have reverted to one of my old charging schedules or just stopped at the 80% min charge. I cant delete all of the scheduled charging profiles or I am not able to set the 80% min charge feature which I would like to keep for battery life reasons.

So most of the time I remember to check carnet on my phone and start charging again to get up to 100% But I would really prefer to not have to remember to do this every time. Also if someone borrows my car and plugs in it would be nice to be able to tell them just to push the standard charge button and have it fully charge as intended.

Has anyone else run into this? Anybody have a solution or good workaround?

eeedub said:
So like many others I have had issues with the scheduled charging features of my 2015 E-Golf SEL. Things would work as expected for a few days and then blam, no charge. Anyway, I gave up on that and have been trying another method for the past month or so. I charge at my office for free, so I dont need to think about off peak hours, it would be nice if the schedule worked and the climate control came on as I was getting ready to leave but I typically just turn it on through my phone.

All I am really trying to accomplish is to get an 80% charge (to be nice to the battery) Monday through Thursday and then on Friday charge to 100% to make it through the weekend without charging. So what I have done is set the minimum charge level to 80% so whenever I plug in and the battery level is below 80% it will start charging up to 80% and stop. When I first started doing this I was able to get to 100% charge (at least I am pretty sure I was) by pressing the standard charge button next to the plug on the car. It would light up and charge to 100 percent without issue. It was my understanding that this button set the charging mode to standard and ignored any of the charging schedules or profiles.

Well the past few times I have tried this the car only charges up to 80% and then stops. It seems to have reverted to one of my old charging schedules or just stopped at the 80% min charge. I cant delete all of the scheduled charging profiles or I am not able to set the 80% min charge feature which I would like to keep for battery life reasons.

So most of the time I remember to check carnet on my phone and start charging again to get up to 100% But I would really prefer to not have to remember to do this every time. Also if someone borrows my car and plugs in it would be nice to be able to tell them just to push the standard charge button and have it fully charge as intended.

Has anyone else run into this? Anybody have a solution or good workaround?
This really sounds like you set the MAX button to 80 , not the Min.

Are you SURE you set the Min? The Min is in a different place than the Max Charge setting.

I'm not sure on the 2015 infotainment as I heard you can only set those values there (compared to the 2016 where you have multiple places - Web/App/Car) to set those values.

And if so, make sure you are up to date on the software (get the recall done as well), I stopped hearing the charging woes recently and was asssuming an update would fix that.

It is called "Minimum Battery Charge Level (percentage)" and described "The system will charge to this level as soon as the charging plug is connected when a departure time is selected"

It is not the max setting in the Profile/ Location where you can set the "maximum battery charge level" and the "maximum charging current at this location"

At least initially (I think) pressing that standard charge button next to the plug would cancel/ignore all of this and give a standard 100% charge. This was working fine for me until it stopped.

As far as I know on the 2015's this is only accessed through carnet, no settings in the infotainment system (which is annoying in itself)

The car has been at the dealership several times and most recently received the high voltage software update. I have asked if there were any TSBs for the car and was told that there weren't any outstanding, but not sure if I believe that. Is there any way to check which other TSBs have been applied?

So quick update. I have turned down the 80% Min charge level and went back to regular scheduled charging. First few days were hit or miss, worked sometimes, other days no charging. Good news is that the "standard charge" button next to the charge port seems to work as it should. I have played around with settings in carnet a bit and for the past few days have successfully charged on schedule. I think just the act of updating settings and sending info to the car helped trigger some sort of reset that made things work for me, as I didn't make any substantial changes to settings.

So anyway, hopefully I am all set now but we will see how next week goes.

Well, things were almost going well.

The car just stopped charging at 80% (my mon-thurs profile) even though it was showing the friday departure time active... arggg. Guess its time to go to the dealer again.

Back