Super charger Tesla

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egolfone

Did someone try to charge an e-golf on a tesla super charger ? To the best of my knowledge the plug is the same although the current is more important. In other words, what would happen if I plug my eGolf on a Tesla charger?
Would appreciate all comments on this.
e-Golf 2014-12 - 12,500 km

I don't know about the EU, but for North America Tesla uses a proprietary connector on their vehicles which is different from the J1772 or CCS or CHAdeMO connectors found on US market EV's. Even if you can mock up an adapter, I believe these stations track the VIN of the car it is charging, as Tesla has also been tracking owners' Supercharger habits to see who has been abusing the privilege of "free charging for life" which can only be done if they know which car (by VIN) is charging where and when and how often. So I imagine that it would reject a charging attempt by a non-Tesla vehicle.

Tesla has been in talks with a few manufacturers (primarily Nissan) over opening up access to their SuperChargers but so far nothing has come to fruition. Tesla is already having overcrowding problems at some SuperCharging locations and sharing access with non-Tesla vehicles will only make that worse.

Tesla Supercharger definitely does not work with any VW e-Golf. Maybe Aston Martin will be the first manufacturer to work with Tesla to access the SuperCharger network when they release their first BEV in a few years.

Back