Trade in 2015 for a 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s4alex

Anyone here seriously considering trading in their 2015 for 2016?

Hear me out, so I really dislike the infotainment the the stupid MDI connector. For the cost of trying to source a MIBII new or someone selling off on eBay or whatnot, plus trying to get a USB plug instead of that MDI connector, it will probably cost a few thousand. For that same few thousand, it might be worth it to just trade in the car.

Who knows, I know, to many it will be a waste of money, but I was really do want the MIBII. I do use that on a daily basis. And am hoping the speed and usability is MUCH improved on the 2016's.

Kbb doesn't yet list a trade in value on the 2015 e-golf, but based on other Golfs, it looks like depreciation might be $4,000 plus federal and state rebates. With the 2015 going for $30,000-$32,000 new, I'm guessing the trade in value might be $18,000 ish - maybe $20,000 private sale. Then a new 2016 would be full MSRP at this point, $36,500 and then you claim the rebates again (presuming your federal and state taxes were high enough) so $26,500 plus the sales tax, so $28,500-29,000. So the upgrade would cost on the order of $10,000 for a purchase.

If leassed, and paying the early termination fee it might be less. Either way, that's a boatload of money.

Get a nice iPad and mount, streaming Bluetooth to the stereo, would be a much better value and when you sell the e-Golf you get to keep the iPad.

I was thinking about that but after checking into this I decided that it doesn't worth for me to spend big money for upgrade. I can live with what it can offer so far.

If it would have greater range - this would be different story.

I'd rather wait for the 2018 200 mile model...(if I wish hard enough it'll happen)

BTW- I called VW and they sent an MDI lightning cable for free as a "token of gratitude" for being a customer.

Also, after the Sirius trial was over, I purchased a 32GB microSD card to hold a boatload of music when that's not enough I simply stream music via bluetooth from my idevices.

Speaking of SiriusXM, ours finally stopped working about 4.5 months after purchase and repeatedly rebuffing their requests to subscribe. The strange thing is that they never got down to the price that I'm currently paying for SiriusXM on my other car.

Jlo said:
I'd rather wait for the 2018 200 mile model...(if I wish hard enough it'll happen)

BTW- I called VW and they sent an MDI lightning cable for free as a "token of gratitude" for being a customer.

Also, after the Sirius trial was over, I purchased a 32GB microSD card to hold a boatload of music when that's not enough I simply stream music via bluetooth from my idevices.
Agree on all counts!

I'm gonna wait until 2018 when there will no doubt be an improvement in battery and/or motor technology that will increase range.
I don't need an MDI cable at all, as my Android phone does fine with BT audio.
I also keep my music on a 32GB SD card in the reader in the glovebox. So, I'm covered.
I generally don't use SiriusXM for music, as their audio quality isn't very good.
But, for those who are thinking of keeping after the trial, I recommend calling in to cancel, and they will offer you a promo price of $25 for 6 months. At that price, it's worth it for news and talk.

200 mile range does sound nice, but I've done great with the 2015 range - except for the first few days where I was constantly watching the range gauge. Does a watched gauge fall faster?

Speaking of the gauge, has anyone noticed that the large marks on the battery gauge are in it bits - as in two bits equals a quarter so every 12.5%?

A free MDI to Lightning? I read your post a day late. Last night I bought a generic on Amazon for $12. I'll report in on how it works for those who can't charm their way to a free cable.

Back