What Is On Your Title/Registration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GLX

I just received the paperwork for the 2015 e-Golf I am purchasing and noticed a few things that have raised an eyebrow. Dealer is in Illinois, maybe just a state thing? Please comment on the below questions.

1. Model: "GOLF". Thought it would say e-Golf.
2. Body Style: "SD". SD is usually Sedan, Golf=Hatchback. I believe it should be 4H for 4 door hatchback.
3. SEL-I just realized there are no SEL markings on the vehicle. Is that correct, no SEL markings?

If it doesn't say e-Golf maybe I won't have to pay the NC electric vehicle fee of $130 annually.

California DMV for some reason doesn't specify the model (nor the color) but mine does say "HB" under "Body Type." Under "MP" it does say "E" which I'm sure means "Mode of Power" and "Electric" as on my other car it says "G" in the same field.

My 2015 SEL does not have "SEL" badging on it; I only recall seeing that on 2012+ Passats and maybe the current Jetta. The only external trim designation I've seen on Mk VII Golfs is the non-electric SE version as a neighbor of mine has a gas-powered Golf SE. I don't particularly like VW's placement of the "SE" emblem on that car as it looked like an afterthought; if my car had that, I would probably remove it.

Unlike a Mazda 3 or a Subaru Impreza, the Golf is not available anywhere in the world as a sedan, so I wouldn't worry about that. It could be a lazy DMV clerk (or dealership clerk who forwards that info to the DMV).

As mentioned above, the VIN is the most important part. It could be that your DMV's database has not been updated with names of models. I recently bought a 2017 VW Golf Alltrack and the "Alltrack" name is not in almost all insurance databases when I was shopping around, so my insurer has it registered as a Golf (they don't have the "Sportwagen" name in their database either). For that matter, VWVortex doesn't have a specific sub-forum for the Alltrack, so us owners have simply piggybacked onto the MkVII Golf Sportwagen forum since it's basically a GSW with a raised suspension, AWD, and some body cladding.

RonDawg said:
California DMV for some reason doesn't specify the model (nor the color) but mine does say "HB" under "Body Type." Under "MP" it does say "E" which I'm sure means "Mode of Power" and "Electric" as on my other car it says "G" in the same field.
Actually, it's "Motive Power". When this is entered wrong by the dealer it causes hassles to get the White HOV stickers. You have to file a from called "Statement of Facts" to get it corrected.

Jeremy1026 said:
Curious as to what the $130 fee is used for?

A few states are adding extra fees to pure electrics to offset the loss in revenue from not having to purchase gas. Gas taxes help fund road repairs.

95GLX said:
I just received the paperwork for the 2015 e-Golf I am purchasing and noticed a few things that have raised an eyebrow. Dealer is in Illinois, maybe just a state thing? Please comment on the below questions.

1. Model: "GOLF". Thought it would say e-Golf.
2. Body Style: "SD". SD is usually Sedan, Golf=Hatchback. I believe it should be 4H for 4 door hatchback.
3. SEL-I just realized there are no SEL markings on the vehicle. Is that correct, no SEL markings?

If it doesn't say e-Golf maybe I won't have to pay the NC electric vehicle fee of $130 annually.

I'm also in IL and had the dealer transfer my Illinois 'EL' plates (traded in a LEAF) over to my e-Golf (my car came from CT); they needed to have me sign an IL SOS form called an 'Affirmation for Electric Vehicle' so if your dealer didn't have you sign this and/or give it to you in your paperwork the car may simply have been registered as a 'regular' plated car -- it's worth it in IL as the 'EL' EV plates are good for 2 years and cost $36 versus our annual fee of $101 -- too bad NC charges a surcharge; as others have said, would imagine NC will know by the VIN that it's an EV eventually. As far as the other stuff; each state seems to omit and/or lump models together; my paperwork says GOLF ELECTRIC even though that's not what VW calls it; as far as trim markings, don't think that VW adds anything besides the e-Golf emblems to distinguish between the SE, SEL and Limited Edition (which is what my car is); they do seem to add these to their ICE powered Golf's but the e-Golf seems to only have the e-Golf script on the rear hatch

As someone else stated-The $130 electric vehicle fee in North Carolina is to pay for roads that is normally paid when you buy gas. I could understand this if all you had were electric cars but I still have 3 gas vehicles. I don't mind it though as we have some damn nice roads. Heck, the road in front of my house was freshly paved 2 months ago and it's smooth as butter.

Still waiting on paperwork back from VW to register the vehicle. Yes, the VIN will show it's electric.

PacBlue-Where in IL did you purchase your CPO e-Golf and did you get a good deal as well?

95GLX said:
As someone else stated-The $130 electric vehicle fee in North Carolina is to pay for roads that is normally paid when you buy gas. I could understand this if all you had were electric cars but I still have 3 gas vehicles.

Even if there were no electric cars on the roads, present gas taxes still are insufficient to pay for road repairs on their own, and tax money has to be diverted from elsewhere to supplement it. That's because the gas tax hasn't been increased in years; the Federal gas tax is fixed at 18.4 cents/gallon, and has been since 1993. 18.4 cents in 1993 is the equivalent of over 30 cents today. Also, ever-increasing fuel economy means cars are using less fuel (and thus drivers paying less gas tax).

This is the reason why states are implementing an extra fee for electrics, and why some states are contemplating a per-mile-driven system of taxation.

Back