What VCDS cable works?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phr00t

I'd like to monitor the battery capacity myself, and I understand I can do that via a VCDS cable & software. I'd like to buy in, but confused on what cable & software will actually tell me that information. This cable is cheap on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/VIMVIP-VAG-COM-409-1-Scanner-Volkswagen/dp/B00K6498D0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445344849&sr=8-1&keywords=vcds+cable

... but will it work? It comes with "VAG Lite"... will I need to buy more software just to get the battery capacity figure?

I signed up for an account to post there... however, I highly doubt they will support anything that isn't their own expensive cables. Ahh well.

Perhaps I will see if I can get that information from a local dealer...

Hej guys.

I used to have one of the cheap cables that worked fine with my 2005 Multivan. However, the cable refused to work with the e-Golf. I visited a friendly workshop and they has a working "HEX+CAN" cable. This is the one which is on sale from Rosstech for 3-400 €.

So I opted for revisiting the friendly guys instead of updating my equipment...

Edit: BTW, the amazon cable won't work!

Cheers,
Oliver

Cheap cable will not work as it comes with very old soft. eGolf is supported only from the most resent release of their app. Look up this forum, I did ask this already.

You need Release 15.X (15.7 is the latest) of the soft and at least Micro Can interface. That's my setup that works.

phr00t said:
I signed up for an account to post there... however, I highly doubt they will support anything that isn't their own expensive cables. Ahh well.

It's not just a cable, it's all the development that went into the cable, and the software. If you bought the car, buy the cable, if you leased it, what's to worry about, you don't own the car anyways, you are just renting it.

vetaldj said:
Cheap cable will not work as it comes with very old soft. eGolf is supported only from the most resent release of their app. Look up this forum, I did ask this already.

You need Release 15.X (15.7 is the latest) of the soft and at least Micro Can interface. That's my setup that works.

What kind of information do you get with that setup? Can you monitor how the battery is aging?

JoulesThief said:
phr00t said:

It's not just a cable, it's all the development that went into the cable, and the software. If you bought the car, buy the cable, if you leased it, what's to worry about, you don't own the car anyways, you are just renting it.

Eh, it is a value proposition. I'd like to tinker, but probably not if it is going to cost me $250.

I'm not sure about checking battery with VCDS, did not have much time to play with that.

I had cable from my other Golf, and I used that to made some tweaks like Day light off, dipping right mirror etc. Will check it out some day and let you know.

Thanks!

Back