When considering the 2015 SEL vs the 2016 SE...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDegolf

Some things to consider before going for the 2015 SEL instead of 2016 SE:

2015 SEL

Cons:

- Some are made in Mexico, not Germany. So far, there has been 1 recall for Airbags that affected e-Golfs made in Mexico only.
- Leatherette(not real Leather Seats). They look good, but some prefer the fabric seats.
- Doesn't include Apple CarPlay -On the 2016 SE/SEL, the integration is pretty good. There are some bugs, but I mainly like that as soon as I plug in my phone, it will directly take the screen to CarPlay. No fumbling around through menus, sub-menus, or confirmation screens. Navigation system is pretty good.

Pros:
- Parking Sensors
- 7.2 kw charger and DC Fast Charger
- HID headlights
- Built-in navigation
- Multi-function steering wheel

SDegolf said:
Some things to consider before going for the 2015 SEL instead of 2016 SE:

2015 SEL

Cons:

- Made in Mexico, not Germany. So far, there has been 1 recall for Airbags that affected e-Golfs made in Mexico only.
- Leatherette(not real Leather Seats). They look good, but some prefer the fabric seats.
- Doesn't include Apple CarPlay -On the 2016 SE/SEL, the integration is pretty good. There are some bugs, but I mainly like that as soon as I plug in my phone, it will directly take the screen to CarPlay. No fumbling around through menus, sub-menus, or confirmation screens. Navigation system is pretty good.

Pros:
- Parking Sensors
- 7.2 kw charger and DC Fast Charger
- HID headlights
- Built-in navigation
- Multi-function steering wheel

How about the charging times with 7.2kw charger and DC Fast Charger? 3.5 hrs at home on 240V and 30 minutes to 90% or better SOC on a 50kw DC CCS fast charger, for those whose time is worth something on any round trip longer than a single recharge.

I wish I was getting prices on a 2015 SEL that were similar to the 2016 SE. I can't get dealers to come down far enough on the 2015 models (Washington DC Metro area). I think my ideal e-Golf is the 2016 SE with the quick charge package installed. I tried the CarPlay on the 2016 SE during a test drive and it's great. Makes the additional nav features on the SEL seem pointless.

MLS said:
I wish I was getting prices on a 2015 SEL that were similar to the 2016 SE. I can't get dealers to come down far enough on the 2015 models (Washington DC Metro area). I think my ideal e-Golf is the 2016 SE with the quick charge package installed. I tried the CarPlay on the 2016 SE during a test drive and it's great. Makes the additional nav features on the SEL seem pointless.

Not with the LED headlights, DC quick charge, and multi function steering wheel with cruise control and phone activation hands free. With all incentives, tax credits, and state rebate, I am in my 2015 SEL for $15,300 before taxes, registration and dealer process fees. No lease buy back fee, excess wear and tear fee, etc. Title is mine, free and clear. To each his own, Car play to me, seems pointless.

Having an e-Golf made in Germany, not Mexico, is of value to me also.

The SE is made in Germany.

I think the importance of CarPlay will become more apparent for some people once the Sirius trial is expired.
If you're not a subscriber, that's an accumulated savings over time.

The headlights of the SE can be upgraded aftermarket for about $500.

It'd be interesting to find out whether the steering wheel can be upgraded and functionality coded via VCDS.

I go back and forth between preferring cloth or vinyl. I always preferred my cloth seats in the beetle, never wants leather again after seeing what happens to it over time with my BMW, but the vinyl is so easy to clean after the dog has been riding in the back seat of the Jetta Sportwagen.

I haven't missed the lack of a faster charger yet, the DC chargers are non-existent anywhere within a couple hundred miles of me and I have a flat rate utility company that does not offer TOU or metered option. I haven't even upgraded the stock EVSE because our commute pattern is covered each night.

I expect the eGolf will have a 200 mile range in the next year or two to compete with the Bolt, which should happen right as our SE comes off lease. If it doesn't happen, and if the battery hasn't taken a huge hit from the desert heat, we will likely just buy the SE out for an out of pocket price of less than $16K (including the payments of the lease and taxes, etc.).

2015 eGolfs are made in Germany (in the original Wolfsburg plant), and not Mexico. The VIN starts with a "W" (for West Germany -- the 17 digit VIN scheme was invented in the 1970's to begin in the 1981 model year) and in the lower left corner of the Monroney sticker under "Parts Content" it even says "Final Assembly Point -- Wolfsburg, Germany." Mine even came with a hanging tag on the mirror that is signed "The Team from VW Wolfsburg."

What the heck, mine didn't come with a hang tag :(

I wonder if the tech took that off when he drove it from the original lot to our purchasing lot since it was a dealer transfer.

RonDawg said:
2015 eGolfs are made in Germany (in the original Wolfsburg plant), and not Mexico. The VIN starts with a "W" (for West Germany -- the 17 digit VIN scheme was invented in the 1970's to begin in the 1981 model year) and in the lower left corner of the Monroney sticker under "Parts Content" it even says "Final Assembly Point -- Wolfsburg, Germany." Mine even came with a hanging tag on the mirror that is signed "The Team from VW Wolfsburg."

My 2015 egolf Limited edition is made in Wolfsburg Germany.

I chose the 15 over the 16 SE primarily for the fast charger. That was a deal breaker for me.

Prefer the LED lights but cant have it all and pay very little.

I corrected my post. From my online checking, it appears the 2015 SEL is made in both Germany and Mexico. The 2016 SE appears to be made only in Germany for now.

SDegolf said:
From my online checking, it appears the 2015 SEL is made in both Germany and Mexico.

When I was looking for an eGolf online last year, I never saw one with the telltale "3" at the beginning of the VIN.

RonDawg said:
SDegolf said:
From my online checking, it appears the 2015 SEL is made in both Germany and Mexico.

When I was looking for an eGolf online last year, I never saw one with the telltale "3" at the beginning of the VIN.

"3" designates country of origin as Mexico. "W" indicates Germany.

Back