Why different charging %

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eg2ff

Yesterday, my first day with the car I filled it up at work and it was at 100% when I left, but today when i filled it up and it indicated it was full it was only at 86%. What am I missing?

Where are you reading digital state of charge values? That is to say, what is the "it" you mention.

When i charged up yesterday the display on the dash said 100 miles, and today it says 86.

Ahh. That is the GOM range you are reading. This is not %. The GOM is the Guess-O-Meter (GOM). The car's computer predicts how far you can drive with the energy currently stored in the battery, using your recent previous driving history to predict your range. The GOM range is highly variable depending on how you drive (fast vs slow, uphill vs downhill), the ambient temperature (hot vs cold) and how much you crank up the heat or A/C. If you drive fast and use a lot of energy for heating or A/C, expect the GOM range to drop; conversely, if you drive slowly and turn off the heating or A/C, expect the GOM range to increase. You will have to experiment a bit with your driving style to get more or less range showing on the GOM. Have fun!

I suggest keeping a log of your charging activity and how much range is used on, say, your daily commute or other typical trips. I did this for a couple of weeks after I got my car, and it gave me a good baseline of what I can expect. Enjoy the car.

Definitely don't trust the GOM. Even my battery level meter I have to be careful. For the first half I get about 10 miles per minor segment but then the rest gets fewer and fewer miles until it's down around 4-5 miles per segment.

Thanks all for your explanations! I have a commute of 53 miles each way, and have had between 20 and 30 miles of charge left after each leg of the trip. The evenings see better mileage, I think because of the cold temperatures over the past few days, don't laugh, 37°, but not using the heater. I am able to plug in at work, sometimes with quite a bit of jockeying to get a spot.

Back