Should I expect charge depletion after parking for 2 weeks ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EggGolf

Hello

I apologise if I'm asking a question that has been answered before but...

I'm planning to leave my car at an airport for two weeks and clearly it will not be plugged in. Should I expect the charge to be depleted after two weeks?

Does anyone out there have experience of this?

Thanks

Longest I've left my car unused is 3 days. It did retain it's charge same level I left it. Well, not exactly two weeks but hope it helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Our e-Golf was not used for 8 days during my trip and the remaining range was exactly the same after that period(105km). The charging status had probably changed during the period, but not in a noticeable way really. The temperature was around 12-22 ´C during the period. I remember VW recommends in user guide that you leave the battery with ~40-60% charge, if you are not using thecar within longer periods.

-Sami
--

The manual says if the battery charge level is below 3%, never park the vehicle for more than 21 days without charging.

Sitting for two weeks shouldn't deplete the battery much at all.

Lithium Ion self-depletion rate (charge loss with no load) is about 3% per month.

Battery life is affected most by storing at severely depleted charge states, or at near full charge states at high temperatures.

Ideal storage charge is 40%-ish in cool weather.

Left car in garage with 47% SoC on 5/25, untouched until today, with 47% still indicated. Drove 8.7 miles at 4.3mpkw, or 2kw of power used. SoC dropped 11% to 36%, which is more like 2.3kw, but the difference is still under the 3%/month loss rate.

Side note: Car-Net was unable to contact the car after 2+ weeks for updated battery or door open/locked state (however I didn't try unlocking, flashing lights, etc.,) which led me to fear the 12v battery had died, but Car-Net regained connectivity after I powered up the car with no problems.

Back