Change oil now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Any idea how I can stop my 2015 e-golf from telling me to change my oil every time I shut it off?

Thanks!
Shawn

shawner123 said:
Hello,

Any idea how I can stop my 2015 e-golf from telling me to change my oil every time I shut it off?

Thanks!
Shawn
Take it to the dealer and have them change the settings so that it never does it again.

Thanks, I was curious if anybody knew a way to shut off the message without having to take it to a dealer since taking it to the dealer for anything is a nightmare.

miimura said:
shawner123 said:
Hello,

Thanks!
Shawn
Take it to the dealer and have them change the settings so that it never does it again.

You could buy a VCDS or find someone on here with one that lives in your area.

miimura said:
shawner123 said:

Actually I'd take it to the dealer and INSIST they change the oil. If you have an oil change special coupon for that dealership even better! :lol:

RonDawg said:
miimura said:
shawner123 said:

Actually I'd take it to the dealer and INSIST they change the oil. If you have an oil change special coupon for that dealership even better! :lol:
Actually you know they might have put in the wrong software in OP just like the guy with 'off road' mode.

It's too bad, I really love this car but unfortunately VW has been such a completely worthless company from the beginning I'll never do business with them again, now I feel even better about putting my deposit down on the new Tesla, such a shame they don't care about their customers or their cars.

I remember trying to raise holy hell about my car shutting itself down in the middle of the road leaving me stranded blocking traffic in the middle of LA (where everybody wants to kill you when this happens) and VW was just completely clueless as to what happened and did nothing to help me...the VALET actually called his boss who was able to somehow resurrect the car (VW still has no idea how he was able to do this despite me describing the exact procedure he used, I guess random Mexican valets know more than VW technicians, scary but not surprising!) sure enough there was a recall for the exact problem many months later. After the recall software update the driving dynamics of the car has completely changed, of course once again VW is completely clueless as to what I am even talking about, or what I even mean by driving dynamics, six months from now after enough people complain there'll be another update etc but not an OTA update of course, I'll have to somehow get down to the dealer where they treat me like I'm inconveniencing them for having to bring their broken car in for them to fix. I understand the headaches of being an early adopter, but you'd think the company would embrace and encourage customer input, take it seriously, and offer help when the issues come up. Good times!

VW is not a worthless company. The dealership you are using is worthless. I would try a dealership in Orange County, or perhaps VW of Santa Monica. Find a dealership that has a lot of e-Golfs for sale and has sold a lot of them, and you'll find qualified e-Golf technicians that can fix these temporary glitches.

JoulesThief said:
VW is not a worthless company. The dealership you are using is worthless. I would try a dealership in Orange County, or perhaps VW of Santa Monica. Find a dealership that has a lot of e-Golfs for sale and has sold a lot of them, and you'll find qualified e-Golf technicians that can fix these temporary glitches.

To be fair to the OP, that random shutdown problem was a mystery to everybody including VW up until very recently. There was a thread started here (or maybe VW Vortex) by someone with that problem who took their car to VW Santa Monica and IIRC they had no clue what the issue was either. A couple of people may have gotten their eGolfs Lemon Lawed, since there was no known fix at the time.

To the OP, I can tell you that Teslas have their own issues, and Consumer Reports mentioned this not too long ago: http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/tesla-reliability-doesnt-match-its-high-performance/

They do treat you well at the Tesla service center, as long as your car is under warranty. Outside of warranty, expect to pay through the nose, as a few Tesla Roadster owners are finding out.

JoulesThief said:

ha HA, VW of Santa Monica is where I bought the e-golf and is exactly the one I'm talking about, I've also tried the one in DTLA as well as Glendale. VW is a worthless company from the top down, the diesel scandal is the proof, their complete lack of concern or care for their customers is what forms my opinion, as i said, I love the car, but the way they have treated me since the moment I signed on the line for this car, through all of the problems it has had, is why after a lifetime of VWs and coming from a VW family, I will never do business with them again, it's horrifying how little they know about their own car. VW's response to my question about why my electric car is telling me I need to change the oil is to bring my electric car in to have its oil change, for Christ's sake when I bought the car they didn't even include the car charger, and then wanted me to drive my electric car, that I couldn't charge, back to pick up the charger that they forgot, yikes!

Of course, I'm not blaming VW for having a car with a problem, everything has problems, especially new things like electric cars, that's why I said I expected issues as an early adopter, what I did not expect, especially after the comforting lies I was told when I was sold that car, was to be treated like a complete non-human once I signed the contract for the car. From the first day I brought this car home they didn't even remember to give me the charger for my electric car, and then expected me to come back and get it, since then it has just been service nightmare after service nightmare of nobody at the company caring at all about a customer, and being talked to like there is nothing wrong with the car and then sure enough a recall for the exact problem comes out. I'm not expecting a Tesla to be trouble free, I'm just hoping they maybe will care about my satisfaction just the tiniest amount, which would be a huge improvement over my experience with VW. I also have no problem paying for service, it's the lack of any service or customer care at all from VW, paid or free, that has ended my lifelong relationship with them.

To be fair to the OP, that random shutdown problem was a mystery to everybody including VW up until very recently. There was a thread started here (or maybe VW Vortex) by someone with that problem who took their car to VW Santa Monica and IIRC they had no clue what the issue was either. A couple of people may have gotten their eGolfs Lemon Lawed, since there was no known fix at the time.

To the OP, I can tell you that Teslas have their own issues, and Consumer Reports mentioned this not too long ago: http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/tesla-reliability-doesnt-match-its-high-performance/

They do treat you well at the Tesla service center, as long as your car is under warranty. Outside of warranty, expect to pay through the nose, as a few Tesla Roadster owners are finding out.[/quote]

Anyway, this was VW's latest response to the fact that an electric car needs an oil change after 3,000 miles:

"I wanted to look into this further for you so I contacted a Service Advisor at VW of Van Nuys. He advised that while it seems to be appearing sooner than it should, based on your e-Golf’s mileage, there are still components within your vehicle that require oil in order to perform."

Here is a copy of the maintenance schedule:
http://www.vwcorporatefleet.com/vw/documents/pdfs/MY15%20e-Golf%20-%20Maintenance%20Schedule.pdf

Nowhere is any type of oil mentioned at all, in fact nothing at all is mentioned for 3k miles. So once again here is VW customer care, passing along advice from yet another dealer, saying that I need to bring in my electric car to have it's oil changed. WOW!

shawner123 said:
Anyway, this was VW's latest response to the fact that an electric car needs an oil change after 3,000 miles:

"I wanted to look into this further for you so I contacted a Service Advisor at VW of Van Nuys. He advised that while it seems to be appearing sooner than it should, based on your e-Golf’s mileage, there are still components within your vehicle that require oil in order to perform."

Here is a copy of the maintenance schedule:
http://www.vwcorporatefleet.com/vw/documents/pdfs/MY15%20e-Golf%20-%20Maintenance%20Schedule.pdf

Nowhere is any type of oil mentioned at all, in fact nothing at all is mentioned for 3k miles. So once again here is VW customer care, passing along advice from yet another dealer, saying that I need to bring in my electric car to have it's oil changed. WOW!
Never use that Advisor again! haha OMG an Oil change on something that doesn't have an ICE engine.

Unfortunately, VW of Van Nuys has the most smug and horrible service advisors I've ever encountered in my life. And I drove BMWs for years!

A truly horrible place with the most hostile and worthless team in the service department. I still haven't had the recall fix cause they screwed up the last time I went there. I'm dreading getting this thing serviced anywhere. By the way, Galpin offered to throw in free oil changes on the car for three years to sweeten the deal so apparently they've figured out how to change the oil on an electric car -- or at least charge you for it.

I once had a bunch of crazy problems with a Chevy that nobody could fix and after going through message boards I finally emailed GM Chairman Bob Levy. He responded to my email and got all of the wonkiness fixed on that car free of charge at the dealership of my choice. That was some amazing customer service for a 5 year old car out of warranty and owned by nobody of note. Shocking even that they did that. I'm not expecting that from VW but at the very least their service advisors should not be such raging dickbags. Seriously, the guy I've had to deal with at VW of Van Nuys is too horrible to work at the DMV. Imperious and dismissive - just what you want in the SERVICE department.

This is my first and almost certainly my last VW. They have nothing but contempt for their customers in my opinion. With everything that's come out about them recently and an entire class of miserable owners it's a shock they still have customers.

Unfortunately, eGolfeGirl, that's par for the course as those of us with long time relationships with VW (the cars, not the brand) have come to terms with.

Even more unfortunate is putting up with such a poor relationship, the only way things will change is by voting with your feet, which is why after being a VW person since birth, I will never do business with them again, there are too many choices now to stick with a company that lies to is customers, RIP the people's car.

bizzle said:
Unfortunately, eGolfeGirl, that's par for the course as those of us with long time relationships with VW (the cars, not the brand) have come to terms with.

It's the dealerships, er stealerships in larger cities that have this attitude. The smaller dealerships outside of the Los Angeles area try a lot harder to do a better job. At least that has been my experience.

When you live in Los Angeles, going "outside of Los Angeles" for servicing/repair work is not exactly convenient with an ICEV, and rather difficult with a sub-100 mile range battery electric especially if there are no QC stations along the way (and/or your particular car lacks the capability).

RonDawg said:
When you live in Los Angeles, going "outside of Los Angeles" for servicing/repair work is not exactly convenient with an ICEV, and rather difficult with a sub-100 mile range battery electric especially if there are no QC stations along the way (and/or your particular car lacks the capability).
Do you have a better solution? I am all ears on VW dealerships that are customer service oriented in the Los Angeles area.

Despite my initial hiccup with using New Century in Glendale (when the 72F climate control issue was not resolved), I'll use them again. The service manager was very receptive to the concerns I raised when I filled out the online customer survey and bent over backwards to make sure they were addressed. From what I gathered on my return visit, a few employees might have gotten their butts chewed by him as a result of that survey.

Back