Availability of 2017 e-Golf in NorthernCalifornia, discounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JoulesThief Thanks for the tip off on the MBZ 250 - I didn't even know that car existed! Plus I'm a Mercedes fan.

Initially I'm reading the car only has an 87 mile range. Then I found this article:

http://insideevs.com/mercedes-b-class-ed-set-bump-range-300-miles-report/

Today’s B-Class ED gets 104 miles of range on the US EPA cycle (from $41,450 +dst); although we should note it is listed officially at 87 miles due to the initial model year offering having an “optional range” package (details) that provided full access to the battery’s abilities, and opened up a further 17 miles of range – an option that is now standard.

To be fair, this new 500 km/310 mile bogey that Auto Motor Und Sport is reporting is most definitely on the European NEDC scale – which is far more lenient than the EPA.

The current B-Class Electric Drive (with extended range added in) is touted at 230 km (143 miles) by the company in Europe; so in this case – a 500 km/310 mile projection for the next generation of B-Class ED would translate to an apples-to-apples comparison of about ~360 km/225 miles.

So now I'm wondering - would this achieve the range I need? If there's a charging station at the office (at the moment not validated) then the Mercedes would be a strong candidate.

The big question I'd have for you e-Golf folks is do you buy the above claim that the current B class gets either 104 or 143 miles range?

rihallix said:
@JoulesThief Thanks for the tip off on the MBZ 250 - I didn't even know that car existed! Plus I'm a Mercedes fan.

Initially I'm reading the car only has an 87 mile range. Then I found this article:

http://insideevs.com/mercedes-b-class-ed-set-bump-range-300-miles-report/

Today’s B-Class ED gets 104 miles of range on the US EPA cycle (from $41,450 +dst); although we should note it is listed officially at 87 miles due to the initial model year offering having an “optional range” package (details) that provided full access to the battery’s abilities, and opened up a further 17 miles of range – an option that is now standard.

To be fair, this new 500 km/310 mile bogey that Auto Motor Und Sport is reporting is most definitely on the European NEDC scale – which is far more lenient than the EPA.

The current B-Class Electric Drive (with extended range added in) is touted at 230 km (143 miles) by the company in Europe; so in this case – a 500 km/310 mile projection for the next generation of B-Class ED would translate to an apples-to-apples comparison of about ~360 km/225 miles.

So now I'm wondering - would this achieve the range I need? If there's a charging station at the office (at the moment not validated) then the Mercedes would be a strong candidate.

The big question I'd have for you e-Golf folks is do you buy the above claim that the current B class gets either 104 or 143 miles range?
At this rate for a B-Class 16k for 3 years, you might as well get a Tesla 3

The M-B B-Class does not have enough battery for your commute. JT was only suggesting it as a comparison of interior quality.

The 2017 BMW i3 REx (94Ah) would also do your commute but it might start up the engine as you get close to home. It has 97 miles of EPA All Electric Range. The i3 is not my taste and the REx coming on would bug me too, but it is a viable choice and you would never have to stop to charge on cold rainy winter commutes. The i3 BEV has only 114 mile EPA range compared to the 2017 e-Golf's 125 miles.

My VW dealer says the new e-Golf that has the range won't be released until at least September, it may even skip from the 2017 right to the 2018 model year.

Talked to a Mercedes dealer (who I trust / have bought from before) and he thinks with the range extender the Merc B250e should do 120 miles - but on doing research this doesn't work out. He's not an EV expert IMO. The B250e has an option to overfill the battery to achieve this range, Mercedes don't recommend this feature is used frequently as it would wear out the battery.

Pushing hard to find out if a charge point would be available at the office reducing my required range from 98 to 49 miles.. There's one 1.2 miles away (too far) and private ones belonging to another company. Hoping the private ones may be made accessible. This would really open up possibilities.

Test drove the i3 and the e-Golf.

- the e-Golf you could pretty much drive like a normal car; if a passenger wasn't told they'd assume they were in a regular gasoline car except for the car being so quiet. Liked the build quality (on the SE). Stereo was fine. But this car doesn't have the range yet.

- the BMW i3 Rex was fast / nippy. But still struggling with the radical body styling. Would rather blend in with the Golf. Apparently you get free fast charges at some store locations like Peets. Not sure how extensive this network is. Sounds cool.

Right now happy not to have to make an instant decision. Can run for a while on older / less fuel efficient cars.

rihallix said:
- the BMW i3 Rex was fast / nippy. But still struggling with the radical body styling. Would rather blend in with the Golf. Apparently you get free fast charges at some store locations like Peets. Not sure how extensive this network is. Sounds cool.
A new i3 will include 2 years of free DC Fast charging at all NRG eVgo sites. The Villages at Corte Madera is a eVgo site.

eGolf is going for about $199/month
I3 is going for about $199/month
I3 rex is going for about $400 /month
Chevy Bolt leases for $399/month

eGolf 2017 is probably going to lease for $299/month.

Tesla Model 3 is Supposedly going to lease for $250/month.

This is going to be ugly at the end of the year.

The 35.8kwh e-Golf, based on VIN numbers I am seeing on 2016's, to me indicates that VW will not have an "official" 2017 model e-Golf in the USA.

I would, however, consider any e-Golf with a VIN in the 013XXX range on up to the 018XXX for last 6 digits, as being very "late" model 2016's, that were actually made on the production line in the USA as "2017" models. :geek:

If I was driving surface Blvds with speeds up to 40 or 45 mph in temps above 70F in a major city built in a flat valley like in San Jose, I feel quite confident that with the way I drive, I'd have no problems getting 160-168 miles on a recharge in a 2018 e-Golf, pretty consistently. Make it freeways and the way folks drive in Nor Cal, and I'd move that down to 105 to 110 miles, driving at a max of 65 mph. And even then, I'd feel much more comfortable limiting my driving speed to the far right lane with the trucks and no doing over 60 mph. Driving fast, much over 55 mph, pushing air out of the way, drains the battery quickly, and reduces your range between recharges significantly. You can't have it all, yet, with electric cars, with big commutes, unless you spring big money for a Tesla S or X model.

Bought a vehicle - in the end elected for a regular gasoline car leased for 2 years, so ready for imminent changes when new EV's emerge. Decision basis:

• e-Golf 2017 would have borderline have made the 98 mile roundtrip but (a) was not out yet (b) no clear deadline for when it would be released (c) even with the 125 mile range I can imagine there would be days with rain or headwinds - highway 280 is 70mph+ when range anxiety would be severe to fully justified

• the B250e was a great car but as discussed simply doesn't have the range at 87 miles

• the BMW i3 REX would certainly make the distance. Primarily the shape was the issue - it looks so abnormal. I'm sharing the car with my wife. Was hearing issues with the narrow tires wearing out very quickly / getting punctures - but really it came down to the unique look of the car

The entire experience led me back to a BMW dealer where I ended up getting a great lease on a base model BMW 330i for 2 years. They have a new engine this year which is ever so slightly more efficient. Between the low lease payments on the 330i, the gas mileage, the lack of paying for a wall charger the i3 REX and 330i came out almost identical when adding upfront deposit, payments and charger + installation.

I learned an immense amount about the state of electric cars and their drivability through this experience. In 2 years I'll be back in the market and suspect the EVs that are out there will be more viable, meaning:
- no more anachronistic looks (i3)
- proper range (the e-Golf Mercedes B250e will reliably do the range)

I suspect the entry of the Tesla Model 3 in Q4 will really shake the market up, and the threat of this launch has been spurring the car manufacturers into action which will bare results over the next 2 years. These conventional car manufacturers can't allow Tesla to get too big a foothold and Tesla is now progressing from a niche, luxury segment to becoming a highly established approaching mass market competitor.

I previously had a Mercedes B Class electric drive car (now the B250E). I liked the car but it was totaled in property tax season. My eGolf currently suits my needs but I was happy with the B.

I was not willing to touch my reserve for a car. That is hardly an emergency.

Back