Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the 125mi battery worth trading for?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:18 pm 

I'm considering selling my 2016 for a 2019 SEL.

The only reason I'm even considering it is that I'm under the impression that most of the trips I take that do push the range on my car would be easy in the newer model, but I'm looking for some experience from people who've made the switch. If you're in the Bay Area that's even better since you may know the routes, but otherwise is ok too.

Currently when I drive from San Jose to San Francisco and back, its mandatory to charge somewhere on the route, which is fine but definitely something that would be nice to be optional, not mandatory. Likewise driving over the mountains to the beach. I can make it back but it takes the full capacity of the battery and I have to drive VERY gently. There's little really good charging on that route which is a bummer, it's one of the few times where it really is a major impediment to be in a 2016.

People with the bigger battery who are in the Bay Area, can you drive at proper 280 speeds from San Jose to San Fransisco and back on one charge? How can can you really get on the freeway at 65? 75?

The driver assist features appeal to me by themselves, but if I'm going to consider burning through this much spousal patience with me I need to make sure the range improvement really is enough

Last edited by Sparklebeard on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Is the 125mi battery worth trading for?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:04 pm 

Sparklebeard wrote:
can you drive at proper 280 speeds from San Jose to San Fransisco and back on one charge? How can can you really get on the freeway at 65? 75?

I've driven on 280 from SJ to San Mateo at around 70 mphs average, light climate control, and obtained over 4 mi/Wh in the e-Golf. With a 36 kWh battery, that's plenty of range for SJ to SF and back. Someone in our office has a 2019 SE and he mentioned getting 130 miles range at highway speed without issue, so that sounds about right.

Now, pushing the speed up more to up to 75...I haven't done that in the e-Golf but have done it in the i3 and come closer to 3.5 mi/kWh. I'd think the e-Golf would do better than that (3.7-3.8ish) but total range would still be over 125 miles so even with with the speed and power being capped for the last 10 miles you're still good.

Where I think the problems start is when the weather is super cold require heating, and when the battery degrades. Assuming a 3% annual degradation, you're starting to cut it close by the second year. I would definitely say stick with the SEL trim so you've got the heat pump. Using resistive heating during the cold months (Nov - Mar) is what really kills the range on my 2016 SE.

There's definitely some good deals on the 2019s right now. The fundamental problem though is 200 miles+ is quickly becoming the norm. I was at the Kia dealership yesterday and the guy said their first Niro EV should arrive this week and they'll be streaming in by late April. Never thought I'd buy a Hyundai or Kia, but it does look very appealing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:58 pm 

well I did it!

Left the dealership in Hayward with 7mi on the odometer and 126mi on tbr guessometer. Got home in Sunnyvale with 100mi on the GOM and 36mi on the odo. I was travelling at California speeds on I-880, so I really have to say I’m pleased with the extra range. To have driven 30 miles home and still have more range left than the 2016 would have had fully charged is nice.

The digital dash is interesting, though unless it somehow gets some sort of CarPlay integration in the future (unlikely) it doesn’t do all that much differently from the standard dash. The extra driver assistance features are a nice step up from the 2016 DAP too.

Interesting to note that the 120V portable charger it came with is a bit dinky compared with the Delphi (ClipperCreek) one from the 2016. 10A vs 13A.

Oh! The adaptive headlights are AWESOME. I already loved the LED lighting on the 2016 SEL but the angle lighting during turns is a really nice feature for my rapidly aging eyes.

It also makes different sounds when it’s sitting there doing ‘things’ while parked. I spend lot of time working on projects in my garage so I am used to the clicks and whirs and clinks the car makes when it wakes it’s computer up while charging or just sitting there talking to carney or whatever. The 2019 does it too but DIFFERENTLY.

The cornflower blue GTI Rabbits they had at the dealership made me wish I could have got the e-Golf in that colour.... or seen what kind of a deal they’d give me on two cars in one purchase.... shame about the gas engine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:07 pm 

Sparklebeard wrote:
The digital dash is interesting, though unless it somehow gets some sort of CarPlay integration in the future (unlikely) it doesn’t do all that much differently from the standard dash. The extra driver assistance features are a nice step up from the 2016 DAP too.

I haven't seen it in action but this has been my take just based on videos and reviews. Is there a way to simply disable it?

Sparklebeard wrote:
Interesting to note that the 120V portable charger it came with is a bit dinky compared with the Delphi (ClipperCreek) one from the 2016. 10A vs 13A.

Yeah, I got the same dinky 10a charger with my i3. They're usually made in Eastern Europe. Perhaps there's a practical reason like too many people charging at 12a and tripping breakers, but I'd suspect it's just a cost saving move. I will miss the nice Delphi 12a charger that came with the 2016.

Sparklebeard wrote:
Oh! The adaptive headlights are AWESOME. I already loved the LED lighting on the 2016 SEL but the angle lighting during turns is a really nice feature for my rapidly aging eyes.

Oh interesting. I thought the SEL only did auto-sensing high beams. Adaptive headlights typically only been on Audi and Porches so very cool to see them on the e-Golf. These would be very valuable to me on Highway 17. Really a shame they couldn't get the 2019s out last summer. I could have paid full MSRP for one and it still would have been $10k less than my i3 and fundamentally had the same features minus moonroof

Congrats on your 2019 SEL!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:16 pm 

johnnylingo wrote:
Sparklebeard wrote:

I haven't seen it in action but this has been my take just based on videos and reviews. Is there a way to simply disable it?

Sparklebeard wrote:

Yeah, I got the same dinky 10a charger with my i3. They're usually made in Eastern Europe. Perhaps there's a practical reason like too many people charging at 12a and tripping breakers, but I'd suspect it's just a cost saving move. I will miss the nice Delphi 12a charger that came with the 2016.

Sparklebeard wrote:

Oh interesting. I thought the SEL only did auto-sensing high beams. Adaptive headlights typically only been on Audi and Porches so very cool to see them on the e-Golf. These would be very valuable to me on Highway 17. Really a shame they couldn't get the 2019s out last summer. I could have paid full MSRP for one and it still would have been $10k less than my i3 and fundamentally had the same features minus moonroof

Congrats on your 2019 SEL!

The whole Gen III Touareg family, 2011 on, has had adaptive headlight feature in their HID headlight assemblies. You do NOT want to rear end someone in one of those Touaregs and have to need to replace two of those headlight assemblies, they are pretty close to 2 grand a pop to buy, let alone install and align, which is a royal PIA. I can imagine it will be the same for the e-Golf headlight assemblies too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:39 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
The whole Gen III Touareg family, 2011 on, has had adaptive headlight feature in their HID headlight assemblies. You do NOT want to rear end someone in one of those Touaregs and have to need to replace two of those headlight assemblies, they are pretty close to 2 grand a pop to buy, let alone install and align, which is a royal PIA. I can imagine it will be the same for the e-Golf headlight assemblies too.

If you rear end someone, unless it's a light tap it's usually going to mean the car is going to be totaled out, especially if airbags are deployed. That's going to be the case with any modern car, adaptive headlight or not.

Go to a junkyard and you'll see cars that are "totaled" but appear to have what looks like fixable damage. A great example is Deutsche Auto Parts' current Project Alltrack, where they bought a crashed one from a Copart auction and are fixing it up and turning it into a rallycross car. The damage, while it looks horrific, really only entailed replacement of these major components:

1. Right front driveshaft.
2. Right lower control arm.
3. Hood
4. Right front fender
5. Right headlight
6. Bumper (which they are not replacing)
7. Driver and curtain airbags
8. Front seatbelts (pretensioners were activated)

The last three aren't necessary if the car will be used strictly as an off-roader, and the factory seatbelts can be replaced with less expensive racing seatbelts which may be required depending on the class they want to compete in.

The car still runs and (once the bent driveshaft and lower control arm was replaced) drove just fine. Frame wasn't bent. Yet the damage, if you were to restore the car to "as new" condition, amounted to over $11,000 IN PARTS ALONE. On car with an MSRP of about $27k (the one they have is a base S model with DSG like mine).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:47 pm 

johnnylingo wrote:

There's no way to disable it, as there are no analog dials at all. And frankly, I wouldn't want to. I strongly prefer the all-digital dashboard. Offers a lot more viewing options for each dial than the old analog dials and is much more visible to my aging eyes in all lighting conditions. Being able to display the native navigation map in between the dials is pretty useful, too, though it would be nice if it was able to show the Apple CarPlay information there as well.

johnnylingo wrote:
Oh interesting. I thought the SEL only did auto-sensing high beams. Adaptive headlights typically only been on Audi and Porches so very cool to see them on the e-Golf. These would be very valuable to me on Highway 17. Really a shame they couldn't get the 2019s out last summer.

Auto sensing high beams and adaptive headlights are pretty friggin' awesome, I agree. Note, though, that they are on the 2018 SELs with DAP as well, not just on the 2019 SELs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:36 am 

In Europe VW offers an even more adaptive headlight system that dims part of the beam to avoid blinding other drivers. In the USA we only get the adaptive system that swivels the headlight beam and automatically activates high beams. BTW the swivel feature has been around for awhile; it was included in my 2010 Golf TDI (lighting package option).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:38 pm 

Sparklebeard wrote:
well I did it!

congratulations! did you buy it or lease it. My lease term will end soon and I'm mulling over this option too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:13 pm 

ronnie10 wrote:
Sparklebeard wrote:
well I did it!

congratulations! did you buy it or lease it. My lease term will end soon and I'm mulling over this option too.

I bought him. I don’t really think I’m going to need a longer range car for quite some time.