Need help deciding what Level 2 Charger to get for 2015 SEL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msvphoto

I hope this post isn't like a "what oil do I use?" post in an ICE car forum, my apologies in advance if so.

I have done a whole lot of research and forum searching on this and have pretty much narrowed my choices down to ClipperCreek HCS-40 or Juicebox Pro 40.

My main concern is ability to reliably timer charge because we have the PG&E EV A rate plan starting up on 12/1. I have read of the 2015/ClipperCreek issues and understand they are resolved. I spoke with a service advisor at the VW dealership we bought the car from and were told they can only recommend Bosch. The looked up our car and said the car is up-to-date but also acted unaware of the ClipperCreek timer charge issue when I described it to them. They referred me back to my salesperson saying she probably knows more about what works in "aftermarket chargers" (one last attempt to push Bosch).

I do want to stay in the 30 - 40 amp range. I have a 50amp circuit available.

Thank you for your advice on this!

Make sure whatever EVSE you buy (the charger is in the car, not on the wall) is UL or Intertek approved, for safety (both the brands you suggest are listed). I like Clipper Creek, myself. I've read good things about the JuiceBox as well. Depending on which model year e-Golf, you might want to be sure the Clipper Creek timing issues are resolved by calling Clipper Creek and checking with them. Don't listen to VW's blather about Bosch - VW has commercial agreements with Bosch so that's why they push the Bosch EVSE.

If you're worried about the car's timer and the cost of ongoing subscription to CarNet to keep access to modify those settings in your 2015 US e-Golf, you need to get an EVSE that has its own timer that is compatible with the e-Golf. The only ones I know of that are compatible are the JuiceBox Pro and the ChargePoint Home. The Siemens is definitely not compatible. The newer JuiceBox Pro units do have UL listing. For many years they did not have full listing, they just used listed components inside.

With that said, if you currently have CarNet working with a charging schedule set in the car, the car should continue working even if the connectivity goes away. You just won't be able to change the schedule. This only applies to the 2015 US model. All other years and markets are able to set the charging schedule through the center touch screen.

Sorry for using the phrase charger, I did realize the EVSE isn't e the actual charger--my bad.

I will call ClipperCreek about the HCS-40 I have my eyes on (there is a local used one for $325).

Yes, I am concerned with being able to set the timer with CarNet after trial period for sure. The CarNet folks told me yesterday when I signed up that function remains available but maybe not? Is that not the case?

Sounds like a Juicebox might be the way to go.

I spoke with VW about CarNet. After the 3 year free EV membership, fees kick in if you want to use it. I didn't write down the cost, but I believe it was $18 a month (on a month to month basis) or $120 a year. No functions will be available for free, but if you pay then both controlling charge limits and charge timing are available. If you don't pay, you will only be able to charge the car to 100% SOC and have no ability to set a timer.

f1geek said:
Make sure whatever EVSE you buy (the charger is in the car, not on the wall) is UL or Intertek approved, for safety (both the brands you suggest are listed). I like Clipper Creek, myself. I've read good things about the JuiceBox as well. Depending on which model year e-Golf, you might want to be sure the Clipper Creek timing issues are resolved by calling Clipper Creek and checking with them. Don't listen to VW's blather about Bosch - VW has commercial agreements with Bosch so that's why they push the Bosch EVSE.

in Canada they carry Flo on their parts list - made in Quebec - price is a bit high but qualifies for a rebate in Ontario - I went with them - no issues - generates emails plugged in - done charging and unplugged summary

msvphoto,
The 2015 E-Golf has a "Departure" timer that is programmed from the App or the Web using Carnet features.
This feature are Free for 3 years and I don't know what happens after that.
What I can tell you, is that this E-Golf departure timer is not configurable from the actual Car in the 2015 model.

To make matters worse.
Written into the EVSE/J1772 charging standards is a timer function. The EVSE is able to disallow charging to begin.
The Vehicle should wait in a standby mode until permitted to change by the EVSE.

The 2015 E-Golf does not wait in standby, it goes to sleep.
If the EVSE goes from Standby to Ready the 2015 E-Golf does not wake and does not begin to charge.

Some manufacturers of EVSE's have a workaround. They cause the EVSE to toggle one of the lines, simulating the J1772 EVSE plug being removed and replaced.
This causes the E-Golf to wake and finding the EVSE is ready, begin charging.

"Your mission should you choose to accept it"........ is to find just such a compatible EVSE.

Need a hint?

I've two JuiceBox 40 Pro's and the EVSE charge timer works great with my 2015 E-Golf SEL.
There are apparently other manu's but I have no experience of those.

All the best

Barry

msvphoto said:
My main concern is ability to reliably timer charge because we have the PG&E EV A rate plan starting up on 12/1.

Considered ChargePoint? It's about the same price and the rate plan setup is such a breeze - you simply chose your provider and plan during setup, and it automatically sets the timer itself. I'm on PG&E E-6 and it's really nice to not have to try and set delayed charging on the e-Golf, which I've found to be confusing and unreliable.

msvphoto said:
I do want to stay in the 30 - 40 amp range. I have a 50amp circuit available.

Might you upgrade to a car with a 10 kW charger? If so, may as well future-proof and get a 40A charger.

I can vouch for the chargepoint. I have the 32A model and (since we have chargepoint at my office) it's nice to see an integrated view of your entire electric charging (both home and away). As johnnylingo noted, it will tell you how much your home charging costs based on your rate plan. And the wifi connection makes it easy to manage. If you don't want to use the timers in the Golf, you can just tell charge point to only charge during off-peak hours.

Back