bearing/axle noise while slowing on practically new car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwe18hole

My 2019 e-golf has less than 1000 miles. While slowing to stop, it makes some kind of noise. It sounds like it is coming from the rear axle/wheels/bearings. It reminds me the type of noises I got from my 10-15 year old cars. This car is pretty new. It is happening almost all the time, does not seem to go away. I am thinking taking to the dealer and get it checked. Anybody had a similar experience?

My 2017 e-Golf has a rear friction brake bias at low speeds (I assume this is true for all Mk 7.5 e-Golfs). Since most of my use of the friction brakes is at low speed, I see more brake dust on the rear wheels than on the front wheels. Because the car is so quiet, I can hear the rear friction brakes make a hissing/rubbing noise when stopping. I do not believe this noise is abnormal, other than I imagine I wouldn’t be able to hear it if the car had a noisy petrol or Diesel engine. I think it is possible you are hearing the same sound. If this is your first EV, you probably are able to hear many other noises previously masked by the engine. Then again, if you are concerned, take it to the dealer - it is under warranty.

Your car also makes a noise or a "growler" sound below 17 or 18 mph, to warn pedestrians, but that noise come from the right front of the car.

Back