100 Mile Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a third drive to at least 100 miles:

This one was nearly 101 miles, and it only took 21.2kWh, so it was ~212Wh/mile, which is the best I have managed, so far. I have two drives over 100 miles in our Leaf, with the best one coming in at ~207Wh/mile.

>>>>>I checked out the BMW forum, and the threads I saw related to driving range in the range section pretty much petered off after the weather began warming up. I suspect the i3 is a bit more susceptible to cold weather, and might also have a less reliable Guess-o-Meter>>>>

It still looks to me that the i3 is still having range problems in May according to this thread
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2815

I'm getting 100+ miles pretty regularly and see 5 m/kwh regularly. Even in winter I was getting 4.5. I'd like to see some articles do a controlled test of the two cars to see if there's a significant difference. The batteries I believe are different....egolf Panasonic and i3 Samsung, but the chemistry is similar. Given the i3s 750 lb weight advantage, it seems it should be doing better, even with a smaller battery.

Ron

NeilBlanchard said:
I had a third drive to at least 100 miles:

[snip]

This one was nearly 101 miles, and it only took 21.2kWh, so it was ~212Wh/mile, which is the best I have managed, so far. I have two drives over 100 miles in our Leaf, with the best one coming in at ~207Wh/mile.

NeilB, Impressive! How were you driving? Downshifting for decel or cruising in one setting? Also, any climate, charging, etc?

Cheers,
Tim

cove3 said:
>>>>>I checked out the BMW forum, and the threads I saw related to driving range in the range section pretty much petered off after the weather began warming up. I suspect the i3 is a bit more susceptible to cold weather, and might also have a less reliable Guess-o-Meter>>>>

It still looks to me that the i3 is still having range problems in May according to this thread
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2815

I'm getting 100+ miles pretty regularly and see 5 m/kwh regularly. Even in winter I was getting 4.5. I'd like to see some articles do a controlled test of the two cars to see if there's a significant difference. The batteries I believe are different....egolf Panasonic and i3 Samsung, but the chemistry is similar. Given the i3s 750 lb weight advantage, it seems it should be doing better, even with a smaller battery.

Ron
Tony Williams ran his regular freeway test (62 mph steady, no a/c, no hills, no wind, temp ca. 70 deg.) and IIRR the e-Golf managed 100 miles, the i3 89. The e-Golf has a larger usable battery, and at freeway speeds drag is more important than weight.

I drive primarily in D with coasting as much as possible, as I drive. I use some regen on the stick, generally, just because it is predictable and is all regen. All of my driving is commuting and errands. I stay off the highways, typically, mostly because highways are not part of most of the routes I am on, and I find the traffic frustrating, anyway. We have hills and air temperature makes a big difference in coasting, and consumption while under power, too.

I rarely use HVAC, but almost always have the windows cracked an inch or two in warmer weather, and I like playing my iPod most of the time.

I drive our Leaf Monday through Thursday (my spouse has a longer commute, and the e-Golf has a 15K/yr lease vs the 12K on the Leaf). I made it all four days on just one charge this week, and I hit 112.9 miles on the odometer (so 111 corrected) and it may well come very close to 200Wh/mile for the charge. The dash said 5.6 miles / kWh (which is even more optimistic that the dash in the e-Golf).

Finally got a drive with 100 miles! I had a couple where I was around 95 miles or so...

But this was my first one to a 100 :cool:

ekNufsml.jpg

I meant to post two more drives I had over 100 miles:

That makes 5 in our e-Golf, and I have had 3 drives over 100 miles in our Leaf.

I just set my personal best distance, and the best efficiency I have had in the e-Golf - 115 miles (with ~5 miles left) and a bit over 207Wh/mile:

Just made my first 100 mile drive. Not much left in the battery, but not bad for almost entirely freeway driving.

rPBTD4eh.jpg

The egolf is doing better on range then I expected. I'm getting 5 m/kwh regularly not using ac, and probably more were I to use D with a lot of coasting. The bmw i3 forum seems to be struggling with range, making me wonder if there's a battery chemistry difference. vw uses Panasonic, bmw uses Samsung

Ron

I have just driven 100 miles - the 7th time I have done this in the e-Golf.

On the i3, my brother has the i3 REx, and he went 89 miles on the battery alone, which is pretty darn good.. The REx model has slightly less all electric range, because it has to have a buffer left, to be sure the range extender can keep up.

I am very impressed with the e-Golf. Today I drove up the hill to the Laguna Seca parking lot (6 miles, 3.0 miles per kWh), spent half the day at the track, and then drove a very hot car down again and back to the Bay Area in record breaking heat (it was 108 degrees in Gilroy and the window glass confirmed it) with the A/C set at 76 degrees (90 miles, 5.3 miles per kWh, cruise set at 60 mph and there was some traffic on 101 to help with the range). When I got home I had 6 miles left (and the car went into Eco + mode with about 8 miles left). That works out to 96 miles driven on a charge with 6 to spare and most of it was highway driving- quite impressive! There was only me in the car and minimal luggage, but I am still very satisfied with the range.

Just passed two weeks with the car and got my first 100 mile run!

IMG_6565.jpg

I actually made it home with 97 miles since last charge and told the wife I had to drive down to the store for a minute. She was happy, I brought back dessert, and I got to 101 miles. (I know, the picture is of 100 at an intersection a block from my house.)

Driving conditions were my normal commute in the Bay Area and a few errands. AC on 1-3, and the radio on most all the time.

Realistically, what can be expected on a 98% charge and setting the cruise control at 55 mph for range? 60mph?

At air temperatures in the mid-50's, I drove ~84 miles mostly at 55-60MPH and had about 18 miles left at the end.

Air temp matters - cooler air is more dense, and this requires more energy to move a car through.

TDINutz said:
Realistically, what can be expected on a 98% charge and setting the cruise control at 55 mph for range? 60mph?
Cruise control at 62mph (100kph), full charge, 70F, no AC, flat road, no wind, the car will go at least 100 miles. Slower speeds will go further due to less aero drag.

The flat road part is HUGE. I live in New England, so no such thing as a flat road for more than a mile.

Back