100 Mile Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may try a trip to Santa Barbara, 82 miles the short cut way. 86 miles all freeway. Do a recharge and drive back home. Got to prove there's no such thing as range anxiety, when I still have a TDI Passat.

Battery was charged up and showed 129 miles on it, when unplugged from the charger, 2.5 mile drive home. Pretty sure that number is pie in the sky unreal.

BTW, another customer told me that doing those 30 minute charges to 80 or 90% state of charge, don't seem to deliver as much miles as a slow charge at 7.2 KWH gives you? Anyone have any experience with this?

TDINutz said:
I think I may try a trip to Santa Barbara, 82 miles the short cut way. 86 miles all freeway. Do a recharge and drive back home. Got to prove there's no such thing as range anxiety, when I still have a TDI Passat.

Battery was charged up and showed 129 miles on it, when unplugged from the charger, 2.5 mile drive home. Pretty sure that number is pie in the sky unreal.

BTW, another customer told me that doing those 30 minute charges to 80 or 90% state of charge, don't seem to deliver as much miles as a slow charge at 7.2 KWH gives you? Anyone have any experience with this?
If you don't go over the posted speed limit on the freeway, you should make it no problem.

You need to differentiate between the actual battery level (graduated in 16ths at the lower right of the instrument panel) and the range estimate presented by the GOM (Guess-O-Meter). If you drive downhill, then charge on a L2, it will show a crazy high number. Conversely, if you live on a moderate hill and charge at home at the top of the hill, you will always see a dismally low number. Ignore it. Just look at the battery level gauge. See my other thread about how fast the ABB fast chargers really are.

Well, today is a great Thanksgiving. Temps were 58 F most of the day, and I pulled 114 miles with 11 miles left to the next recharge. I did a lot of polished concrete freeway in light traffic to do this, at 50 mph, and 20% two lane pavement country road at 40-45 mph. Some stop light traffic too, about 12 miles worth. Drove mostly in Eco+ mode, and no fan, no nothing running. A few freeway intersections and lane merging cost me some acceleration bursts to 65 mph to get with the main flow of traffic to change lanes, took a big toll. This was not flat country at all, did go up and over some mountain ranges, and the Conejo Grade was climbed too. When you need 100 miles between recharges, 50 mph and turning everything off should help you get there, provided you don't gain too much altitude from point A to point B.

20151126_133933_zpslpohtmgm.jpg

20151126_133928_zpsid7kvq8j.jpg

20151126_134318_zpsrhuq7gmd.jpg

20151126_141352_zpsdaqidvep.jpg

I did it! This drive was from Ventura to Irvine. Granted there was a lot of traffic which probably helped. From the 22 and 405, I was going about 55mph.

Almost 4 hours to do 108 miles is not exactly hauling the mail. I'd say that helped your range quite a bit.

I wasn't initially aiming for the century mark, but when I saw it come into spitting distance, I decided to push a bit.
A good chunk of this was freeway driving with the radio on; temperatures were between 50 and 64 F. Driving in the rain took a toll.

12487024_10153503718917669_5392955031844934105_o.jpg

Will we need to start a new thread for the 133 mile club, when the new 2017 e-Golf comes out with a 32kw traction battery with a 10 kwh charger pack and CCS quick charge? Will they be higher voltage, say 720V? Waiting.... very, very patiently, until they go on sale deeply discounted, probably when the 2018's arrive.

JoulesThief said:
Will we need to start a new thread for the 133 mile club, when the new 2017 e-Golf comes out with a 32kw traction battery with a 10 kwh charger pack and CCS quick charge? Will they be higher voltage, say 720V? Waiting.... very, very patiently, until they go on sale deeply discounted, probably when the 2018's arrive.
Now you're just making stuff up.

We don't know when or how big any future battery pack will be on the e-Golf. I also don't expect any increase in on-board charger power. Nobody but Tesla has released an on-board charger with more than 7.6kW charging power in the USA. The M-B B-Class and Toyota RAV4 EV have the 10kW chargers made by Tesla. Also, what little has been leaked about future battery packs indicates that VW will use the same pack arrangement, but will use higher capacity cells. That means that the pack voltage will continue to be up to 360VDC just like it is now. Only future cars that have much bigger packs like the Q6 or Mission E could have higher voltage packs. It also remains to be seen how VW group will implement that. Using 700-800VDC throughout the car is not a small change from the <450VDC currently used by all EV makers.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
Now you're just making stuff up.

We don't know when or how big any future battery pack will be on the e-Golf. I also don't expect any increase in on-board charger power. Nobody but Tesla has released an on-board charger with more than 7.6kW charging power in the USA. The M-B B-Class and Toyota RAV4 EV have the 10kW chargers made by Tesla. Also, what little has been leaked about future battery packs indicates that VW will use the same pack arrangement, but will use higher capacity cells. That means that the pack voltage will continue to be up to 360VDC just like it is now. Only future cars that have much bigger packs like the Q6 or Mission E could have higher voltage packs. It also remains to be seen how VW group will implement that. Using 700-800VDC throughout the car is not a small change from the <450VDC currently used by all EV makers.

Wait a sec... this was posed as a question... not speculation or guessing. Nothing wrong with planting some seeds in VWland on peoples expectations on charging times on the whole VAG/Porsche, group, so that the technology trickles down a bit faster. :mrgreen:

105.7 miles over 3 days of freeway/local driving. It has 6 miles to spare.

It was nerve wrecking on the way home...

write2warriors said:
105.7 miles over 3 days of freeway/local driving. It has 6 miles to spare.

It was nerve wrecking on the way home...

Nice work! Congrats on overcoming range anxiety.

I'm not in the 100 mile club yet, but I'm also in New England.
I think I got my biggest range on one charge yesterday - I certainly got closest to running out of juice. It was down to speed-restricted tortoise mode for the last mile to my house (which includes a hill).
I only got 85 miles, but at an average speed of 38mph and with 65% of it on highways at New England traffic speed (65+). Averaged 4.4mi/kWhr and the guesstimate said 3 miles range when I got home.

miimura said:
Volkmar Tanneberger said at CES that the next e-Golf battery pack would be 37 amp hours (up from the current 28) and Jocham Böhle recently said that the next MQB platform (Mk VIII) e-Golf would have 300km real-world range, up from 190 on paper / 120 real-world. (He also said they would switch to 48V power, but I'm not sure what that refers to.)

GadgetGav said:
miimura said:
Volkmar Tanneberger said at CES that the next e-Golf battery pack would be 37 amp hours (up from the current 28) and Jocham Böhle recently said that the next MQB platform (Mk VIII) e-Golf would have 300km real-world range, up from 190 on paper / 120 real-world. (He also said they would switch to 48V power, but I'm not sure what that refers to.)

The numbers I've seen quoted are 24.2 kw up to close to 32 kw for the traction battery. While it will give you more range, it will take longer to charge, also. Not a big deal if overnight recharging, could be a big deal if doing a long distance trip.

A non issue for me, the Passat TDI fills the bill for longer trips just fine, and is more comfortable on longer drives.

GadgetGav said:
miimura said:
48V refers to an upgrade for ICE vehicles where there is a portion of the car running at that voltage. People in the industry have been talking about changing everything that runs on 12VDC to 24V or 48V for a long time. However, the current motivation for VW/Audi to implement 48V is electric superchargers. I doubt that the Audi vehicle that is currently running as a prototype will run anything but the supercharger and maybe air conditioning on 48VDC when released. There are simply too many ancillary devices that use 12V power.

I know I'm late to this party but today I finally managed to join the club. I rarely can go more than a day or two between charges but this week it turned out that I only made local (non-highway) trips, and with temperate weather needed neither heat nor A/C.

IMG_0103_zps1dpkqtj9.jpg

I comfortably achieved 100+ miles on a single charge of mixed driving a couple weeks ago, including a lot of rush hour traffic on my daily commute over a few days. I cannot figure out how to upload the picture here from my phone, but I managed 101 miles (5.6 miles/kWh). The car estimated that I had 10 miles left.

REM said:
I comfortably achieved 100+ miles on a single charge of mixed driving a couple weeks ago, including a lot of rush hour traffic on my daily commute over a few days. I cannot figure out how to upload the picture here from my phone, but I managed 101 miles (5.6 miles/kWh). The car estimated that I had 10 miles left.

You need to have a photo hosting app like Photobucket, that you save it to first. Once saved on your app, you copy and paste the URL of the photo here, using the "Img" icon above, and paste it in between the two{img} your url for your photo.jpg here{/img}

I tried driving in Eco+ for the first time yesterday when we got caught out a little longer than planned. Driving in that mode was miserable. If that's what it takes to make it to the 100 mile club, I'll happily never join. I don't think I've crested the 5.0mi/kwh barrier yet.

Back