2015-6 e-Golf HVAC 72F fix Tech Tip 87-15-02

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:
Sorry Joules, but I will not 'edit my post' just because I supposedly have bad information.

I asked the Dealer, he looked up the tech tip and 'contacted' volkswagen for me. If someone can post the exact item they did to fix a 2016 temp fix then I can take it to my dealer, tell them to eat it and fix it.

We also had cases where the dealer has loaded the wrong software (see the thread about Off Road mode) so I'm a bit suspicious that my dealer didn't want to fix it with Volkswagen corporate leaning on them to fix my car.

When and if they come out with a fix I can use, then I can.
In a sense of they didn't want to do it, they have had my car for a total of about 3 weeks while trying to fix my radio stalk issue, so I will assume that during this time, there was no working tech tip for the 2016 as I asked about it at the same time.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Stubborn, and ignorant, figure it out on your own, then, like I did, since you have a comprehension problem, and you are confusing effort with results, your efforts aren't enough. Someone above flat out told you you got bad information, there's your sign, their 2016 HVAC is fixed, your's isn't. You get to figure out who is BS'ing you. Your credibility is suffering. You add negativity to a post, instead of results, and correct, current information.

Good luck.
The only negativity has been yours. I said I asked and they said no and someone else said they got it. That's all we have.
Sorry man, but the most negativity in this forum has been yourself in screaming RTFM and ASK THE DEALER. I asked , they said no. Maybe next month they will have a change of heart, but I asked.

Update: My Sales Advisor at Sunnyvale Volkswagen emailed me a week or so ago and said he had just applied some new fix to his own e-Golf and it appears to keep it's setting even overnight. So yesterday, I took mine in for the battery management recall and the HVAC adaptation.

The Service Consultant still needed me to describe the HVAC problem and I got the the impression that maybe this wasn't an automatic thing they'll do if you just walk in and ask for "TT87-15-02 adaptation". That is, I think he needed me to describe symptoms so he could record them in the service record. Not sure.

In any case, my 2016 SEL has had this applied and the HVAC settings now remain where I left them, even overnight. Finally the HVAC works like it it supposed to!

ewEYmgd.png

kirby said:
Update: My Sales Advisor at Sunnyvale Volkswagen emailed me a week or so ago and said he had just applied some new fix to his own e-Golf and it appears to keep it's setting even overnight. So yesterday, I took mine in for the battery management recall and the HVAC adaptation.

The Service Consultant still needed me to describe the HVAC problem and I got the the impression that maybe this wasn't an automatic thing they'll do if you just walk in and ask for "TT87-15-02 adaptation". That is, I think he needed me to describe symptoms so he could record them in the service record. Not sure.

In any case, my 2016 SEL has had this applied and the HVAC settings now remain where I left them, even overnight. Finally the HVAC works like it it supposed to!

ewEYmgd.png

Thank you Kirby, for a perfect example of how to get it done. Print out a working example of a job ticket sheet and present it to your service writer after describing what is not working correctly, and that this is how it is done. Make his job easy to perform.

I have stated many times before... that when you own a VW, you need to be smarter than the service writer and the technician, on how to fix problems like this. If you print them out the instructions on how it is done, as shown here, if they can't follow the directions, you need to take your car to another dealership that can follow directions. Names of successful dealerships that can follow directions being posted up helps all of us avoid the incompetent dealerships.

The example above is as concise and brief as possible on how to get this fix done on your car. Make a note that this is an adaptation performed on port number 5 or window number 5 or channel number 5 on OASIS or OTIS for the service writer and the technician.

forbin404 said:
JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:
Sorry Joules, but I will not 'edit my post' just because I supposedly have bad information.

I asked the Dealer, he looked up the tech tip and 'contacted' volkswagen for me. If someone can post the exact item they did to fix a 2016 temp fix then I can take it to my dealer, tell them to eat it and fix it.

We also had cases where the dealer has loaded the wrong software (see the thread about Off Road mode) so I'm a bit suspicious that my dealer didn't want to fix it with Volkswagen corporate leaning on them to fix my car.

When and if they come out with a fix I can use, then I can.
In a sense of they didn't want to do it, they have had my car for a total of about 3 weeks while trying to fix my radio stalk issue, so I will assume that during this time, there was no working tech tip for the 2016 as I asked about it at the same time.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Stubborn, and ignorant, figure it out on your own, then, like I did, since you have a comprehension problem, and you are confusing effort with results, your efforts aren't enough. Someone above flat out told you you got bad information, there's your sign, their 2016 HVAC is fixed, your's isn't. You get to figure out who is BS'ing you. Your credibility is suffering. You add negativity to a post, instead of results, and correct, current information.

Good luck.
The only negativity has been yours. I said I asked and they said no and someone else said they got it. That's all we have.
Sorry man, but the most negativity in this forum has been yourself in screaming RTFM and ASK THE DEALER. I asked , they said no. Maybe next month they will have a change of heart, but I asked.

Find either:
A. a competent VW dealership near you, or
B. Learn from others that have been successful.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

You are wrong and thread crapping here. I asked nicely for you to clean up your post. Others with 2016's are proving you wrong, you've lost veracity. Which means that now, I pretty much have to discount the value of ALL of your posts here, until you take some accountability for posting up and removing your garbage and misinformation.

Verkehr said:
Of note, this is not a TSB. It's a tech tip (hence the TT) and the dealer will not be able to charge VW for it like a TSB performed under warranty, so they will either generously offer you free labor or charge you for it. I got the latter but still opted to pay $68 in labor and feel it was worth it to save years of minor annoyance every time I start the car.

The fix was successful and the HVAC system now retains the previous settings when parked more than 20 minutes.

Go ask for a full refund, this is warranty work. Seriously. The dealership does charge VW for it... about $56 is what I saw the charges as being, to VW.

So I brought my 2016 SE in today for the recall and also mentioned TT 87-15-02. They stated it was not for a 2016.

Went through all the jargon to let them know I hated it and ended up with getting a fix that returns the temp to whatever you left it at last state is what will show up next time instead of that dreaded 72.

So far all is good. Tonight I left shut off the car at 65 degrees. Lets see if thats what pops up tomorrow. If so, Im fine with that. Just as long as its not that darn 72 degrees every time.

sirshan said:
So I brought my 2016 SE in today for the recall and also mentioned TT 87-15-02. They stated it was not for a 2016.

Went through all the jargon to let them know I hated it and ended up with getting a fix that returns the temp to whatever you left it at last state is what will show up next time instead of that dreaded 72.

So far all is good. Tonight I left shut off the car at 65 degrees. Lets see if thats what pops up tomorrow. If so, Im fine with that. Just as long as its not that darn 72 degrees every time.

Name of dealership, please.

sirshan said:

^^^^ That is the adaptation (that's what VW calls this sort of change) described in TT 87 15 02

kirby said:
sirshan said:

^^^^ That is the adaptation (that's what VW calls this sort of change) described in TT 87 15 02

And that adaptation change in settings is performed in channel number 5 on OASIS so you can let the technician know that important tid bit.

...so confirmation today.

Turned on car, blower stayed OFF like I left it when I shut down yesterday.

I turned on the blower and it went to 65 degrees (where I left it yesterday when I turned it off).

Seems to be working the way I want it to now.

Dealership work performed at - Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek, CA. Since you like pictures:

Thank you... lets see if we can find the tech tip reference number or TSB for the 2016 model and publish it here.

What we really need is a VCDS scan of the 2015/2016 models before and after the adjustment.

Might get a Scanner again...got rid of it when I sold my MKV, didn't think Id have another VW so quickly.

Anyhow, Ill see if I an ask the tech that did the work. IF I get it, Ill post it here for sure.

sirshan said:
Might get a Scanner again...got rid of it when I sold my MKV, didn't think Id have another VW so quickly.

Anyhow, Ill see if I an ask the tech that did the work. IF I get it, Ill post it here for sure.

Thanking you in advance, sir.

sirshan said:
...so confirmation today.

Turned on car, blower stayed OFF like I left it when I shut down yesterday.

I turned on the blower and it went to 65 degrees (where I left it yesterday when I turned it off).

Seems to be working the way I want it to now.

Dealership work performed at - Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek, CA. Since you like pictures:

So basically my dealer was right and your was smarter than mine as they could figure it out.
Ok I'll call VW again and get the answer.

kirby said:

ewEYmgd.png

Forbin404 Yet Kirby's documentation suggests that the adaptation procedure does work. So it remains to be determined who got bad information, but it is fixable. The job is for you to take your car to a qualified dealership that CAN get the job done, not the one feeding you misinformation. That bad dealership doesn't deserve your business, take it elsewhere. They created this fiasco, and have proven themselves not worthy of your business. Success should be rewarded, incompetence let go or banished.

Thanks for the info on this Tech Tip. I absolutely love my egolf but the most annoying thing was the 72F HVAC issue, and now it's fixed. The dealer would have had no clue but when i refereneced the tech tip they figured out how to fix it. They are still pretty green when it comes to the egolf. There were 2 other egolfs at the dealership getting the recent recall work done.

The original post on this topic should be a sticky in this forum.

Update on my climate control fix: as requested by New Century's service manager, I brought the car in this morning (didn't have time to until now) as per my appointment. I mentioned that my visit was per the service manager. Service advisor (same as the last time) was aware of my impending visit.

He brought over the tech who was going to work on my car, and who apparently worked on it the last time. The tech said the "confusion" was because the specific problem was not articulated in the initial write-up, just a mention of the specific TSB/TT number which he said was applied. I was in and out of there in about 5 minutes. I even brought a to-go breakfast with me that I had just barely begun to bite into when the tech said my car was ready. They didn't even bother with a formal service request order.

I did some errands with the car, came home, and let the car sit for about 2 hours. I get back in, and the settings stayed the same as when I left the dealership this morning. WOOHOO!

For those who are unhappy with their service at their VW dealer, for any reason, make sure you mention your concerns in the survey you'll get from VWoA. I was not harsh at all with my answers (the worst rating I gave them was a middle rating, due to my having to wait longer than originally promised), but I did give criticism where warranted, and praise where warranted. Within a day I was contacted by the aforementioned service manager by email wanting to address my concerns and with the offer to have the climate control issue fixed at no cost to me, and even offered to pay for a rental if I so desired. When I mentioned that I was there on a return visit as per the request of his boss, the service advisor implied that he (and the tech) got a good chewing out by the service manager as a result of my answers, even though that was not my intent. So those surveys are being taken seriously at least at the managerial level.

Back