2015-6 e-Golf HVAC 72F fix Tech Tip 87-15-02

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much to everybody on this forum. I took my 2016 e-Golf in for the safety recall and mentioned the climate control fix. The technician said he didn't believe the setting could be changed. However, when I showed him the tech tip in this thread, he said he would try it even though the tip was labeled only for the 2015 models. A short time later, I got my car back and I can confirm that this tech tip works perfectly for the 2016 models too. I would not have had a clue that this could be fixed if not for this forum. Thanks everybody for forming this community.

JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:
What we really need is a VCDS scan of the 2015/2016 models before and after the adjustment.

Have you scanned yours yet?
I'll try the beta tonight. I haven't been able to scan it with any other versions yet.

EDIT: the newest beta can't scan newer than 2015 e-Golfs.

bizzle said:
JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:
What we really need is a VCDS scan of the 2015/2016 models before and after the adjustment.

Have you scanned yours yet?
I'll try the beta tonight. I haven't been able to scan it with any other versions yet.

EDIT: the newest beta can't scan newer than 2015 e-Golfs.
Maybe send Ross-tech an email with what is going on?

There's no technical difficulty. When you go to scan the car the drop-down specifically limits the eGolfs to 2015 and older.

sirshan said:
...so confirmation today.

Turned on car, blower stayed OFF like I left it when I shut down yesterday.

I turned on the blower and it went to 65 degrees (where I left it yesterday when I turned it off).

Seems to be working the way I want it to now.

Dealership work performed at - Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek, CA. Since you like pictures:

Hi there, I thought I would give a little insight to why (or why not) some dealerships would perform the 87-15-02. Performing tech tips or TSB's we have to follow it to the letter. So when it says it only applies to a 2015 VW will not pay us if we perform it on a 2016. As a tech (I am Tech 1297) I have to carefully word what I write on the RO to document the repair and so everyone can get paid. In the case of this car I knew the tech tip would work and changed the setting so that the customer would be happy (even if VW would not pay us).

I'm more than happy to help you guys with information (that I can give out) and maybe help with some insight on how things are done. The e-Golfs are so new that we are all learning tips, tricks and repairs all the time.

Thank you for your assistance and for doing what's right for the e-Golf customers.

Any news on VW changing the charging plug locking behavior of the e-Golf vehicle inlet?

Thanks!

f1geek said:
Thank you for your assistance and for doing what's right for the e-Golf customers.

Any news on VW changing the charging plug locking behavior of the e-Golf vehicle inlet?

Thanks!

I don't want to get this thread too far off topic. I have brought this up when I have talked to VW since the first e-Golf showed up at our dealership. Unfortunately I have no idea if/when they will change that.

I asked them to put in a setting so that it wont lock at all, will unlock once fully charged and then locked all the time. alas, I'm just a master tech at a dealer..

BrianZ said:
[Hi there, I thought I would give a little insight to why (or why not) some dealerships would perform the 87-15-02. Performing tech tips or TSB's we have to follow it to the letter. So when it says it only applies to a 2015 VW will not pay us if we perform it on a 2016. As a tech (I am Tech 1297) I have to carefully word what I write on the RO to document the repair and so everyone can get paid. In the case of this car I knew the tech tip would work and changed the setting so that the customer would be happy (even if VW would not pay us).

Hi Brian,

So this work is reimbursement-eligible from VWoA? My dealer told me that "Tech Tips" generally are not warranty reimburseable as they are "customer preferences" and at least one other member here has been told the same thing. One member actually paid to have this done on his car. My car is a 2015 and IIRC the person who did pay to have it done on his car also has a 2015.

Otherwise, thanks for the time to come here to give us some insight on the car, and on how VW does things.

RonDawg said:
BrianZ said:
[Hi there, I thought I would give a little insight to why (or why not) some dealerships would perform the 87-15-02. Performing tech tips or TSB's we have to follow it to the letter. So when it says it only applies to a 2015 VW will not pay us if we perform it on a 2016. As a tech (I am Tech 1297) I have to carefully word what I write on the RO to document the repair and so everyone can get paid. In the case of this car I knew the tech tip would work and changed the setting so that the customer would be happy (even if VW would not pay us).

Hi Brian,

So this work is reimbursement-eligible from VWoA? My dealer told me that "Tech Tips" generally are not warranty reimburseable as they are "customer preferences" and at least one other member here has been told the same thing. One member actually paid to have this done on his car. My car is a 2015 and IIRC the person who did pay to have it done on his car also has a 2015.

Otherwise, thanks for the time to come here to give us some insight on the car, and on how VW does things.

To be totally honest I'm not 100% sure if it is. I'll ask my warranty admin on Monday to get clarification.

BrianZ said:
RonDawg said:
BrianZ said:

Hi Brian,

To be totally honest I'm not 100% sure if it is. I'll ask my warranty admin on Monday to get clarification.

Good Monday Morning everyone. I spoke with both of my warranty admins (probably two of the best in the industry IMO) and both said a Tech Tip like 87-15-02 they would be able to get VW to pay. The car would have to be under the factory warranty coverage for us to claim the repair.

He also said if your local dealer does not want to perform it or wants to charge you for performing the Tech Tip to call VW customer care. They want you to be happy and will most likely make the dealer perform the adjustment at no cost.

I have had to pay for TSBs in the past when they were related to my stereo bluetooth functioning, but the car was out of warranty at the time.

BrianZ said:
Good Monday Morning everyone. I spoke with both of my warranty admins (probably two of the best in the industry IMO) and both said a Tech Tip like 87-15-02 they would be able to get VW to pay. The car would have to be under the factory warranty coverage for us to claim the repair.

He also said if your local dealer does not want to perform it or wants to charge you for performing the Tech Tip to call VW customer care. They want you to be happy and will most likely make the dealer perform the adjustment at no cost.
I had my car in for the high voltage recall and asked them to do apply TT87-15-02 (mentioned it explicitly) and they ignored me. It's still resetting to 72 twice a day. :evil:

GadgetGav said:
BrianZ said:

I had my car in for the high voltage recall and asked them to do apply TT87-15-02 (mentioned it explicitly) and they ignored me. It's still resetting to 72 twice a day. :evil:

I wonder why they ignored you.

2cwlde9.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder if I've missed the golden answer from JoulesThief, or is it just RTFM... It's a chance I'm willing to take..! :D

GadgetGav said:
2cwlde9.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder if I've missed the golden answer from JoulesThief, or is it just RTFM... It's a chance I'm willing to take..! :D

God helps those who help themselves. - Ben Franklin

Hi everyone,
I own a 2016 VW e-Golf SE, in urano gray. I had to take in my car for a mandatory safety recall, and I was also able to successfully get the VW dealer to change the climate control settings, so it no longer defaults to 72F. It now stays on whatever setting I had it on last, even overnight. Yay! Thanks to all the posters who told me about this solution!

Here's what I did:
I printed out the service invoice from poster 'sirshan':
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/spangilinan/SnapShotVWworkPerf.jpg

Then I wrote these keywords, hoping they might be helpful to the technician:
"Tech Tip 87-15-02"
"Adaptation"
"Settings ==> Window Number 5"

They did the repair, and on my service invoice it says:
"programmed performed the tech tip reprogram the air condition control head all ok"

The work was done by Kearny Mesa VW in San Diego, CA. If you need this work done, ask for Stella, she was my service adviser and was very friendly and helpful.

Snoopy said:
Hi everyone,
I own a 2016 VW e-Golf SE, in urano gray. I had to take in my car for a mandatory safety recall, and I was also able to successfully get the VW dealer to change the climate control settings, so it no longer defaults to 72F. It now stays on whatever setting I had it on last, even overnight. Yay! Thanks to all the posters who told me about this solution!

Here's what I did:
I printed out the service invoice from poster 'sirshan':
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/spangilinan/SnapShotVWworkPerf.jpg

Then I wrote these keywords, hoping they might be helpful to the technician:
"Tech Tip 87-15-02"
"Adaptation"
"Settings ==> Window Number 5"

They did the repair, and on my service invoice it says:
"programmed performed the tech tip reprogram the air condition control head all ok"

The work was done by Kearny Mesa VW in San Diego, CA. If you need this work done, ask for Stella, she was my service adviser and was very friendly and helpful.
Thanks Snoopy

This is good to hear. I just forwarded these posts to my Encinitas VW service manager. Last I heard, they were waiting on a software update to fix the 72 degree issue, but it sounds like you just need to know the right setting to change. I guess I could always go down to Kearny Mesa if i had to. Was there any fee Snoopy?

Sptgolf said:
This is good to hear. I just forwarded these posts to my Encinitas VW service manager. Last I heard, they were waiting on a software update to fix the 72 degree issue, but it sounds like you just need to know the right setting to change. I guess I could always go down to Kearny Mesa if i had to. Was there any fee Snoopy?

You can go to Encinitas.

Key words to the service writer.

"HVAC settings don't remember my last settings when I shut off, I'd like that changed so that it does remember MY last settings"

"Tech tip number 87-15-02"

"OTIS or OASIS"

"Adapatation #5, switching on behavior"

That's all they need to get in there and get the new adaptation value in there to remove the 20 minute timer and temp settings. It will then remember the settings where you left it.

Print this out if you need to and hand it in to the service writer, he needs all the info.

JoulesThief said:
Sptgolf said:

You can go to Encinitas, tell them you are frustrated that your Climatronic won't remember your last settings, it's an irritating or a defective default value which you should have the option of not using.

Then mention to them that there is a tech tip. Give them the number of the tech tip, have them call in, and that the change is in "adaptation" in window or port 5, for changing the setting.

A master technician in the service bay should know exactly what you are talking about...

Key words...

"HVAC setting are wrong"

"Tech tip number 87-15-02"

"Adapatation"

"OTIS or OASIS in port or window 5"

That's all they need to get in there and get the new adaptation value in there to remove the 20 minute timer and temp settings. It will then remember the settings where you left it.
Don't say the setting are wrong. Per repair information it is working correctly if it turns on at 72f. Tell them you want it changed. And give them the tech tip number. Make sure they put all that information on the repair order and it's correct..if nothing is on thr repair order the tech won't know what to do

Back