2017 SE $24.5K + taxes and fees, 0% APR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NurStrom said:
hattrick said:
Hello everyone,

Just drove home with a 2017 e-golf SE (bare bones, no DC) for $25,956 OTD (California Bay area).
Does out the door include taxes and license - like the name implies, right?

Correct - total final out of pocket.

I bought SE with DC Fast Charge last Saturday from San Jose VW dealership. 25K + 3K in tax and fees (plus 0% APR loan).
The funny thing was how readily sales person just said 'ok fine'. MSRP was 32.5K. I decided to buy rather than to lease. He said 'how much I want to pay', I said 26k, he immediately said 'fine, that's a deal'. I was a bit shocked :shock:. hen I said.. 'oh, you probably have discount for my employer, why don't you make it 25K'. He said 'alright, lets make it 25'. Thats it, I bought it. Now I think he might have gone even 2-3k lower. This seems like a good time buy. Try your luck! May be I should have gone for SEL at 10-11k discount :p .

So far I love the car. I have a few questions about some settings etc, which I will ask in a different thread.

raghu1111 said:
I bought SE with DC Fast Charge last Saturday from San Jose VW dealership. 25K + 3K in tax and fees (plus 0% APR loan).
The funny thing was how readily sales person just said 'ok fine'. MSRP was 32.5K. I decided to buy rather than to lease. He said 'how much I want to pay', I said 26k, he immediately said 'fine, that's a deal'. I was a bit shocked :shock:. hen I said.. 'oh, you probably have discount for my employer, why don't you make it 25K'. He said 'alright, lets make it 25'. Thats it, I bought it. Now I think he might have gone even 2-3k lower.

So far I love the car. I have a few questions about some settings etc, which I will ask in a different thread.

Congratulations. That is certainly a great deal. I told the sales guy at Capistrano VW (SoCal) that folks on this forum have been getting really good deals lately and I asked him if up to $8200 off of MSRP is realistic. He said that is in their range.

Big thank you to all of the contributors on this forum sharing the deals that they are getting. It makes it a lot easier to negotiate. It's kind of like co-workers sharing their salaries with each other ... except minus the jealousy factor.

NurStrom said:
raghu1111 said:
The funny thing was how readily sales person just said 'ok fine'. MSRP was 32.5K. I decided to buy rather than to lease. He said 'how much I want to pay', I said 26k, he immediately said 'fine, that's a deal'. I was a bit shocked :shock:. hen I said.. 'oh, you probably have discount for my employer, why don't you make it 25K'. He said 'alright, lets make it 25'. Thats it, I bought it. Now I think he might have gone even 2-3k lower.

Congratulations. That is certainly a great deal. I told the sales guy at Capistrano VW (SoCal) that folks on this forum have been getting really good deals lately and I asked him if up to $8200 off of MSRP is realistic. He said that is in their range.

Man...how a month gone by sure changes the dynamics. Just within the last 5 weeks, the SEs have been disappearing in SoCal. The $8K incentives are now only $4K and they are keeping the inventory low. Like I mentioned in my other post . Shopping for a white SE for my mother. She loves my SE.

Stevens Creek VW is advertising 7.6K off of SE with DC fast charge. 25k after discount. Same as what I paid one month back.

$7,650 off MSRP on 2017 Volkswagen eGolf SE w/DC Fast Charge : https://www.stevenscreekvw.com/new-vehicles/new-vehicle-specials/

raghu1111 said:
Stevens Creek VW is advertising 7.6K off of SE with DC fast charge. 25k after discount. Same as what I paid one month back.

$7,650 off MSRP on 2017 Volkswagen eGolf SE w/DC Fast Charge : https://www.stevenscreekvw.com/new-vehicles/new-vehicle-specials/

Thank you for calling that deal to our attention.
Too bad the SoCal dealerships are keeping the inventory down ... they are playing supply demand pricing .
Would it be worth buying one from Sunnyvale and driving back to SoCal? or flat bedding it?

Local dealer offered me $2500 in state incentive and another $4000 iv vw incentive. That brings the sale price on a 2017 SE with DCFC down to $25840 from $32340 MSRP.

I can't get him to move at all on price. Is this really the bottom? Do VW dealers typically not negotiate?

TheRanDMC said:
Is this really the bottom? Do VW dealers typically not negotiate?

20% off MSRP not including state $2500 rebate is usually the best we've seen. I suspect those types of sales will be more common over the summer and in to the fall as VW has their sales events and is in increasing pressure to get ZEV credits from e-Golf sales.

At those numbers you're at about 15% off MSRP which is certainly not a bad deal for a car that's only been out a few months.

johnnylingo said:
TheRanDMC said:
Is this really the bottom? Do VW dealers typically not negotiate?

20% off MSRP not including state $2500 rebate is usually the best we've seen. I suspect those types of sales will be more common over the summer and in to the fall as VW has their sales events and is in increasing pressure to get ZEV credits from e-Golf sales.

At those numbers you're at about 15% off MSRP which is certainly not a bad deal for a car that's only been out a few months.

Maybe it's because I'm out on the east coast, but I was told that is as low as VW can go... Maybe I'll wait until summer I'm in no rush, just a little anxious since stock seems to be so limited out here.

TheRanDMC said:
Local dealer offered me $2500 in state incentive and another $4000 iv vw incentive. That brings the sale price on a 2017 SE with DCFC down to $25840 from $32340 MSRP.

I can't get him to move at all on price. Is this really the bottom? Do VW dealers typically not negotiate?

what do you mean by $2500 state incentive? The state credit is yours to claim on top of anything you can negotiate with the dealer (provided you meet income eligibility). None of the purchase deals you see here factor federal or state incentives. A couple of months back i negotiated my deal for $26K out the door (this was in NorCal). Applied for $500 from PG&E and just got the check last week. After getting the $7500 tax credit next year the car will have cost me $18K (unfortunately I make too much to qualify for the $2500 from CA otherwise it would have been $15.5K! - oh well you can't have it all :)

hattrick said:
TheRanDMC said:

what do you mean by $2500 state incentive? The state credit is yours to claim on top of anything you can negotiate with the dealer (provided you meet income eligibility).:)

I live in CT and was told that the CHEAPR program was an inventive that was applied to the purchase price of the car. From what I've researched, that is correct the incentive is credited to the purchase price of the vehicle according to the DEEP CHEAPR program website.

Although I'm noticing now he quoted me at $2500 off for state incentive when the program only offers $2000 for this car...

I could probably use his email to make them take the $500 off.

raghu1111 said:

VW in Oakland promised me (by email) price out of door in $26,5. But later they kind of betrayed me, saying that I negotiating too mach and closed the deal. Steel need to give them "good" review on google.

I got this deal in Stevens Creek VW. Unfortunately they didn't want to go lower. But good thing, it was 0% finance. And since April, look like any VW not giving good deals for eGolf.

sokokyu said:
If you're in California, the E-Golf does qualify for $2,500 as far as I can tell:

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles#1214

Yes, $2500 provided you're under the income limits and either buy or do a 30 month lease. This is why I'd assumed he was in California.

Deals on the east cost seem harder to come by, unless you're willing to wait for closeouts. I recall seeing someone in New England got a 2015 SEL for $27.5k not including the federal tax credit or any state rebates. Still, the 85 mile range on the 2015/2016 models really limited the buyers, hence the end of year fire sales. I don't know if you'll see that on the 2017/2018s even as we get closer to 2019.

Back