2017 VW 120 volt charger won't release from the car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADV

I've read about the 2015 models having this problem, but I would have expected it to be resolved by now. Our brand new 2017's VW 120 volt charger won't release from the car without a lot of fiddling and locking and unlocking with the key fob. Took 10 minutes last night. It doesn't seem to be affected by having the charger plugged or unplugged, or whether the charge light is green, orange, or off.

Thoughts???

ADV said:
I've read about the 2015 models having this problem, but I would have expected it to be resolved by now. Our brand new 2017's VW 120 volt charger won't release from the car without a lot of fiddling and locking and unlocking with the key fob. Took 10 minutes last night. It doesn't seem to be affected by having the charger plugged or unplugged, or whether the charge light is green, orange, or off.

Thoughts???
Time to go to homedepot and pick up a set of these
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Precision-Pick-and-Probe-Set-4-Piece-60004H/204314893

REad your owners manual several times while trying to disconnect the EVSE handle. Standard procedure is to have the car locked while recharging. The green light while charging oscillates up and down in brightness, over a 2 to 3 second cycle. To remove the handle, press the unlock key on the Key fob quickly, twice within a 1 second period. and only then after doing so with the key Fob, then grab the EVSE to remove it from the charging port. DO NOT start pulling on the EVSE handle before you hear the pin unlock from the EVSE handle.

If you can't figure out how to do it correctly, go to the VW dealership and have them demonstrate it to you on their own EVSE the correct method to unlock the car to release the EVSE so that it can be removed promptly.

Again, reread your owners manual carefully while attempting to press the keyfob unlock button quickly 2x, then push the latch button on the EVSE handle and withdraw it.

See whole video. 4:10 is where important part starts, some of which when charging at home can be skipped.

https://youtu.be/OpFWv5o73QM

If the car is actively charging with the green LED slowly pulsing dim and bright, no amount of unlocking will release the charging handle. You have to stop the charging first. That is accomplished by pushing the button with the plug icon next to the charge port. When the LED is not pulsing any more, it's stopped charging. Then you can unlock and remove the charging handle.

The OP is being quite clear that he cannot unlock and get the handle out even if the lights are off. Assuming that's accurate it's a malfunction in the vehicle or EVSE.

egolf2017toronto said:
The OP is being quite clear that he cannot unlock and get the handle out even if the lights are off. Assuming that's accurate it's a malfunction in the vehicle or EVSE.
The dealership has to recharge these cars. You'd think they either noticed it, or they broke it themselves. Or the OP broke it. The charged, unplugged, charging or not charging condition of the EVSE unit has NO BEARING on the locking pin device on the car. The Key Fob, how it's operated, and the button inside the port on the left side control the lacting pin. The vehicles locking and unlocking system controls the latching pin. Which tends to indicate it might be operator error. The "a lot of fiddling" indicates they can get it unlocked. So... there's the clue, it does unlock, they just are not familiar with the procedure on how to get it to do so.

Thank you gentlemen. Joules did in fact accurately predict my situation, although it could have certainly been just about anything based on my loose description of the matter. I had just gotten the car, was low on kms and was frantic to figure this out. The handle not properly releasing when unlocking was the result of not pulling hard enough and the plug needing some lube.

The locking and unlocking via the key fob or by proximity sensors will initiate charging/lock the handle, and stop charging/release the handle, respectively and predictably every time.

Thanks for you help!

ADV said:
Thank you gentlemen. Joules did in fact accurately predict my situation, although it could have certainly been just about anything based on my loose description of the matter. I had just gotten the car, was low on kms and was frantic to figure this out. The handle not properly releasing when unlocking was the result of not pulling hard enough and the plug needing some lube.

The locking and unlocking via the key fob or by proximity sensors will initiate charging/lock the handle, and stop charging/release the handle, respectively and predictably every time.

Thanks for you help!

Suggest you use a silicone based spray lube on the pin, every 3 to 4 months, more frequently during raining, snow, or freezing thawing water cycles of winter. DO NOT USE Oil based of WD 40 based lubes on that pin. They will attract dirt, dust and grit. Use silicone.

Back