$5,000 eGolf purchase?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egolfEr

Fellow eGolfers...I was wondering if VW has offered any ridiculously low prices to keep your eGolf at the end of the lease. A friend of mine who leased a Leaf for $0 down, $180/month was offered a sale price of $5,000.

Even with the low range compared to the 2018, this is a great price. My thoughts are that since the eGolf is newer, the market really hasnt determined a fair market price for an ev wtih 86 mile range. I find it hard to believe that 2015/2016 eGolfs are selling for $14,000.

Please share your VW end of lease experiences.

Maybe in another 4 or 5 years. Not today. There have been a few recent posts with offers from VW which were not super great.

Leafs I see in that price range on Craigslist here in the SF Bay Area are typically 2011s with serious degradation setting in. As in you might get 50-60 miles on a good day. (Which, honestly, is fine for us for what we own the e-Golf for, just means charging a couple extra nights a week.)

KBB retail range (based on actual sales) in the SF Bay Area for a 2015 SEL in excellent condition with ~25k miles is $15,387 - $18,691 which is a long ways off from $5k.

egolfEr said:
I find it hard to believe that 2015/2016 eGolfs are selling for $14,000.

Me too...seems like a bullish market for pre-owned e-Golfs.

A friend made an offer at a SoCal VW dealership on Sunday for a '15 and they said full price offers or nothing.

NurStrom said:
egolfEr said:
I find it hard to believe that 2015/2016 eGolfs are selling for $14,000.

Me too...seems like a bullish market for pre-owned e-Golfs.

A friend made an offer at a SoCal VW dealership on Sunday for a '15 and they said full price offers or nothing.

I can tell you I have seen the pricing at Manheim wholesale auctions, where dealers go to buy. 2015/2015 are selling for $13-14k about 30k miles.

since many leases started in late 2015 and onwards, most people will be returning their car in late 2018. Once the supply of these cars increases as no one buys them for $14k, especially with the 2018 egolf (200 mile range), new leaf ( 200 mile range), Hyundia ioniq( unlimited mile lease for $275), the new kia, the honda clarity( decent lease rates), I see eGolfs going for closer to $11-12k, hopefully lower.

That is not the current market trend here in the SF Bay Area, yet. There has been plenty of time for 2015s to come off lease, 2016s soon now. I think values are high because they are a wonderful driving car that doesn't look weird and/or a clown car like most non-Tesla EVs.

2018s with 200 mile range?! I hadn't heard that. Would be good news, but still not enough range. I thought 2018 e-Golf is same range as 2017 (which is not 200 miles). Needs to be 300 miles for me to replace my ICE car range extender so as long as I get over 50 a day, I'm good. I'm waiting to see what comes a couple years from now from VAG. Some exciting offerings from VW, Audi, and Porsche coming soon. Tesla best be on their A Game by then, Model S (wonderful as it may be) will only carry them so far.

msvphoto said:
I think values are high because they are a wonderful driving car that doesn't look weird and/or a clown car like most non-Tesla EVs.

The used prices in California are boosted a bit by HOV lane access (white stickers). I'd also suspect the new $150k income cap for the CVRP is driving some silicon valley folks to the used EV market. Incomes above that are common here, but when a basic house runs 7 figures, one needs to remain cost-conscious.

msvphoto said:
I thought 2018 e-Golf is same range as 2017 (which is not 200 miles).

The 2018 model has the same range as the 2017. Any mention of a 200 figure is likely either kilometers or based on European standards, which consider a very optimistic 5-6 mi/kWh.

egolfEr said:
Once the supply of these cars increases as no one buys them for $14k, especially with the 2018 egolf (200 mile range), new leaf ( 200 mile range), Hyundia ioniq( unlimited mile lease for $275), the new kia, the honda clarity( decent lease rates), I see eGolfs going for closer to $11-12k, hopefully lower.

I think they'll stay in the mid teens for a while, even with the anticipated flood of used inventory. The 2012-2014 Focus Electrics are still getting $10-15k and a 2015-2016 e-Golf is a better buy.

Our 2015 LE lease is up next month, but we will extend until we get our Model 3. The residual is $13k. It would sell at retail slightly above that today since it has less than 24k miles. However, I see slight downward pressure on the values due to the expiration of the old White and Green HOV stickers at the end of this year. We had the bumper painted after someone backed into us and we never put the replacement stickers on. I think I'll just return it with the stickers in the glove box since my wife and I don't use HOV for our commutes.

miimura said:
However, I see slight downward pressure on the values due to the expiration of the old White and Green HOV stickers at the end of this year.

Just saw used EVs won't be eligible for the new red stickers if they've been registered for white or green ones. This is gonna be a big shake-up for the market and a massive headache for used dealers.

I just put on my white stickers last week. I'm leasing with 4 months left so it's irrelevant, but if I was an owner I'd be furious at the state right now as putting those stickers on would have decreased my car's value by thousands.

johnnylingo said:
Just saw used EVs won't be eligible for the new red stickers if they've been registered for white or green ones. This is gonna be a big shake-up for the market and a massive headache for used dealers.

I just put on my white stickers last week. I'm leasing with 4 months left so it's irrelevant, but if I was an owner I'd be furious at the state right now as putting those stickers on would have decreased my car's value by thousands.

Not entirely correct. Any white/green sticker issued after 1/1/17 can be renewed with a new sticker starting on 1/1/19 that's good for an additional 3 years. Thus, the value of the E-Golf will depend not on the year of the car, but rather the year of the sticker.

2016golfse said:
Any white/green sticker issued after 1/1/17 can be renewed with a new sticker starting on 1/1/19 that's good for an additional 3 years.

The way I'm reading it, that rule is only for current owners. My understand is once the car's been sold, then the date stickers were issued doesn't matter. It's either a yes or no.

johnnylingo said:
The way I'm reading it, that rule is only for current owners. My understand is once the car's been sold, then the date stickers were issued doesn't matter. It's either a yes or no.

No. The sticker "retains its value" to the new owner, so long as it was issued after 1/1/17. Here's the official text. Note that all it discusses is the sticker and its issuance date. There is no reference, nor should there be, to the model year of the car, nor original owner, nor used.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB544

Back