$79 lease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bizzle said:
Hmm, I better get on the phone tomorrow morning.

My wife just initiated paperwork for a 2016 SE at $199 per month. After the $2k loyalty bonus and 0 down, we're at $236 after taxes (that's for 10K miles). I'd rather get 7500 miles and close to that $79 dollar per month.

Well, the OP had a down payment of $3200, which is $91/mo. So if you were paying the same amount down, you would be at $108/mo, or a $29 premium per month for the additional miles. I understand that additional miles are about 10 cents if figured into the lease at the beginning, so that's 7500 miles or $750, or $22/mo, so that comes to $79+22=$101/mo. So really your deal is off by only about $7/mo. And you're paying everything monthly, rather than up front, which is certainly worth something. So I'd say it's not a bad deal at all, if you can/will use the full 30K miles over three years.

Did I get this math right?

stevestrange said:
bizzle said:

My wife just initiated paperwork for a 2016 SE at $199 per month. After the $2k loyalty bonus and 0 down, we're at $236 after taxes (that's for 10K miles). I'd rather get 7500 miles and close to that $79 dollar per month.

Well, the OP had a down payment of $3200, which is $91/mo. So if you were paying the same amount down, you would be at $108/mo, or a $29 premium per month for the additional miles. I understand that additional miles are about 10 cents if figured into the lease at the beginning, so that's 7500 miles or $750, or $22/mo, so that comes to $79+22=$101/mo. So really your deal is off by only about $7/mo. And you're paying everything monthly, rather than up front, which is certainly worth something. So I'd say it's not a bad deal at all, if you can/will use the full 30K miles over three years.

I believe you did. My main issue is I didn't realize I could go down to 7500. We're keeping our TDI so we have something for long trips. This will only be used in town. I won't be using those extra 7.5K miles.

bizzle said:
stevestrange said:
bizzle said:

I believe you did. My main issue is I didn't realize I could go down to 7500. We're keeping our TDI so we have something for long trips. This will only be used in town. I won't be using those extra 7.5K miles.

You might be surprised. We kept our 2001 Audi S4 for long trips. It tends to sit in the driveway three months at a time, while we rack up the miles on our two EVs :).

stevestrange said:
You might be surprised. We kept our 2001 Audi S4 for long trips. It tends to sit in the driveway three months at a time, while we rack up the miles on our two EVs :).
Problem is we live out in the desert. Closest charge station that isn't local is 90 miles away. In fact, I'm not exactly sure how we're going to get it home :)
So this will strictly be driven around town even though I wish it'd be otherwise.

So now that I've gone back and checked your math something was not working out.
I then re-read the original post and he said he paid $3200 out of pocket as well as qualifying for the $2000 loyalty bonus.

Does that mean he actually "paid" $5200 toward the lease up front? This seems to be confirmed by him stating that he'll end up paying $700 out of pocket once he gets his 2500 back from California.

If that's true, then I think I may have already received the same deal (or possibly better?)

stevestrange said:
I'll second that... I figured the 10k miles/year would be fine for my eGolf, but I'm already over schedule for the three years ;) I too had a 2001 S4 (avant, 6MT) for 12 years, and just sold it :( We kept the allroad for long trips, but it's been barely started up since we got our eGolfs. Before I sold the S4, I found myself preferring to drive the eGolf, if you can believe that - I found it more enjoyable to drive - the only exception being the S4's twin-turbo kick when accelerating on the highway from 60mph up to...well, never mind. ;) The eGolf's handling and roadholding has been a very pleasant surprise, and the around-town acceleration is a lot of fun. Our gas credit card bill has gone from ~$250/month to zero, while our electric bill has gone up only ~$100/month, and if anything we're driving even more miles than we used to pre-eGolf. Needless to say we're very pleased with our eGolf experiences so far.

I am picking a 2016 egolf SE today from a bay area dealer for what seems like a too good to be true price -

total downpayment (including all taxes): $3472
monthly payment: $52 + taxes

CA credit: $2500

3 yrs 7500 miles per year

so my out of pocket for 3 yrs not including annual servicing fee would be -
3472 + (57*35) - 2500 = $2967 = about 82 per month all in.

I did qualify for $2K owners loyalty discount.

Anandp said:
I am picking a 2016 egolf SE today from a bay area dealer for what seems like a too good to be true price -

That is truly astounding.

Anandp said:

If you feel you got a good deal, go for it.

Yeah, I think I'll leave it at 10K miles because my sales manager said it would only remove 1 residual point and result in a $9 per month reduction.

So it goes from 237 per month to 228 (these are after taxes at 8%).

This is after loyalty bonus of $2,000 and no money down.
Can someone please help me with the math to see if I'm getting as good a deal as you guys are getting in North California?

One thing that would help me is if some of you figuring your money down are including your $2,000 loyalty bonus in it.
For example, from the way you listed that 82 dollars per month figure, it should also include the $2,000 dollars to the total amount down, right?
(i.e., 3472 + [$2,000] + (57*35) - 2500 = $4967 = about 140 per month all in)

Anandp said:

What dealer?

I also picked up a 2016 e-Golf SE from a Northern California dealer last Sunday. Since most of the lease details here include the $2000 loyalty discount, I thought I'd add my lease details since I did not qualify for the discount. I was able to get another dealer to go lower by about $150, however, I wanted to do business with a dealer that was closer to my home. Here are my numbers.

Drive off price: $3200 (includes all taxes, fees and first month payment)
Mileage: 7500/year
Payment: $117/month (before tax)

The only added accessory on my SE was the factory First Aid kit ($36).

Hope that helps others negotiate a good deal.

lry said:
Anandp said:

What dealer?

- Serramonte VW dealership

I called around and got a dealer to give me $1295 down and 156.21 after taxes or $0 down and $196.48.

bizzle said:
I called around and got a dealer to give me $1295 down and 156.21 after taxes or $0 down and $196.48.

Down payment and drive off costs can be different between different dealers. Some quotes I received quoted down down payment costs that were not inclusive of taxes and other fees. Ask for the drive off costs and a breakdown of charges.

I didn't post the entire break down but those prices are the actual out of pocket costs in their entirety.

bizzle said:
I didn't post the entire break down but those prices are the actual out of pocket costs in their entirety.
Does your costs include the loyalty discount of $2000? If not, you're getting a deal that bests the three offers I negotiated by almost $800. Congratulations!

matics said:
bizzle said:
Does your costs include the loyalty discount of $2000? If not, you're getting a deal that bests the three offers I negotiated by almost $800. Congratulations!
It does include the loyalty bonus (but I'm not counting the California rebate).

So I have the choice of a white eGolf with first aid kit for $1295 out the door with 35 payments of 156 after taxes or $0 out the door with 35 payments of 196.48 after taxes
or
white eGolf with lighting package for $0 out the door with 35 payments of 237 per month after taxes.

These amount don't account for the $2500 California rebate, but it sounds like you were able to score a better deal. It doesn't seem like my two dealers are going to budge any lower than they have.

I don't know what the lighting package entails so I don't know which one is the better option. Any advice?

@bizzle, I sent you a PM with some numbers and contact info for the best deal I was able to find on a 2016 SE.
bizzle said:
matics said:
bizzle said:
It does include the loyalty bonus (but I'm not counting the California rebate).

So I have the choice of a white eGolf with first aid kit for $1295 out the door with 35 payments of 156 after taxes or $0 out the door with 35 payments of 196.48 after taxes
or
white eGolf with lighting package for $0 out the door with 35 payments of 237 per month after taxes.

These amount don't account for the $2500 California rebate, but it sounds like you were able to score a better deal. It doesn't seem like my two dealers are going to budge any lower than they have.

I don't know what the lighting package entails so I don't know which one is the better option. Any advice?

Thanks, if my math is correct it seems to beat my deal by about $1500 over the life of the lease but with a significant down payment.

Even if I could get it in writing I don't think they'd be able (or willing?) to match it.
When I presented the lower offer to the dealer with the lighting package (a difference of $1000 dollars over the life of the lease), they said they'd hate to lose my business to another dealer but that was the best they could do.

I even asked the dealer that was offering me a lower offer to tap into the TDI money that VW had dispensed to the dealers but they claimed they didn't know anything about it and they couldn't give me any lower offers (then they found out the model they had just driven in from another dealer had a first aid kit in it and upped my payments by 3/month but then eventually agreed to not charge me any more).

Maybe my dealers aren't hurting as badly as those others?

bizzle said:
Thanks, if my math is correct it seems to beat my deal by about $1500 over the life of the lease but with a significant down payment.

Even if I could get it in writing I don't think they'd be able (or willing?) to match it.
When I presented the lower offer to the dealer with the lighting package (a difference of $1000 dollars over the life of the lease), they said they'd hate to lose my business to another dealer but that was the best they could do.

I even asked the dealer that was offering me a lower offer to tap into the TDI money that VW had dispensed to the dealers but they claimed they didn't know anything about it and they couldn't give me any lower offers (then they found out the model they had just driven in from another dealer had a first aid kit in it and upped my payments by 3/month but then eventually agreed to not charge me any more).

Maybe my dealers aren't hurting as badly as those others?

Gamers, tell them to keep the $35 worthless first aid kit, and you'll keep the $3 a month over 36 months. The lighting package must be the LED headlights, and that only comes on the SEL model, I believe? SE model comes with Halogen headlights, they suck the juice out of the 12V battery under the hood, in short order.

Back