Accidentally plugged in the charger while car was still on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemdye

Hey Everyone,

I accidentally plugged my car into the charging station before pressing the stop button inside. Now I can not unplug it from the wall charger, and I can't turn it off from inside. I tried the un-lock button on the FOB to no avail. Any tips or hints? The good news is that I'm not going anywhere for awhile with the pending snow-storm...

Thanks,
Mike

mikemdye said:
Hey Everyone,

I accidentally plugged my car into the charging station before pressing the stop button inside. Now I can not unplug it from the wall charger, and I can't turn it off from inside. I tried the un-lock button on the FOB to no avail. Any tips or hints? The good news is that I'm not going anywhere for awhile with the pending snow-storm...

Thanks,
Mike

How about turning off the breaker to cut power to the charge station? Maybe it will allow you to turn off the car and disconnect the plug. I don't know.

REM said:
mikemdye said:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks,
Mike

How about turning off the breaker to cut power to the charge station? Maybe it will allow you to turn off the car and disconnect the plug. I don't know.
did you try pushing 'I' and getting Carnet to help you out?

Something similar happened to me a couple times. I couldn't turn off the car. I think if you don't step on the brake it should work. I was so used to pushing on the brake because it's required to power it on that I pressed on it when trying to turn it off but when I took my foot off the brake, it turned off.

From the Owners manual:

1. make sure the selector lever is at "P" shift position
2. unlock your car
3. press and hold the immediate charge button while at the same time press the unlock button on your key

this should allow you to pull out the charger, if it cant be removed get "expert assistance"

Back