Aftermarket LED headlights for SE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icetoe

I'm looking at replacing the halogen headlights in my 2016 e-Golf SE with LED, has anyone else looked into this? Any recommendations on which bulbs to go for (looking for something from Amazon and not the dealership)

icetoe said:
I'm looking at replacing the halogen headlights in my 2016 e-Golf SE with LED, has anyone else looked into this? Any recomendations on which bulbs to go for (looking for something from Amazon and not the dealership)

Take a look around on VWVortex under Mk7 golfs. That's a VW specific make/model/ platform / bodywork type of question... Most questions on here are more power plant/electric motor/EVSE charger or infotainment software specific related.

You can get whole assemblies for around $400-500 dollars for the set. You can't just get bulbs.

Please do not put Xenon/HID bulbs in housings designed for halogen lamps. Such housings do not have the proper light cutoffs and you will blind everybody in front of you. See this video for further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5n38wDe684

In California, upgrading your headlights to more powerful than stock is illegal, and if you blind the CHiPie that is driving towards your car you're likely to get one of those tickets.

I don't think projectors with HID are legal without auto-leveling, either. You would have to run halogens in those fixed projectors posted above.

Verkehr said:
I don't think projectors with HID are legal without auto-leveling, either. You would have to run halogens in those fixed projectors posted above.

My S2000 is projector HID and doesn't have auto-leveling. Though that might be because it wasn't required in the 2000-2009 timeframe the car was on the market.

It does have rather sharp cutoffs in its projection pattern, though.

And yes, I agree, aftermarket headlights without DOT approval should not be used on the street.

It might be worth mentioning that side by side tests I've seen online indicate that while LEDs look brighter from the driver's seat, and may even look brighter when observing them, halogens throw more light down the road.

More info on headlights from IIHS:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/first-ever-iihs-headlight-ratings-show-most-need-improvement

This only covers midsize cars, and although the Prius V with LED lights is the top-rated car, some other cars with LED lights rated poorly. I hope they do a study on compact cars soon so we can see whether LED makes a difference or not on the e-Golf.

I don't know about the eGolf, or any Golf, but every now and then on the Leaf forums someone will post a question about the feasibility of swapping out the single-bulb halogen from the lower trim models to the LED version found on the higher trim levels and the pre-2013 models. That's despite the fact that the LED version has LED's on the low beams only; the high beams are still halogen, and due to the reflector design is just plain awful.

There is an article by Jalopnik's Andrew Collins who did a comparison between his 4Runner's stock halogen bulbs, and an LED retrofit kit similar to one linked above. Besides installation difficulties (those things sticking out the back are cooling fins), one thing he found is that while objects nearer to the truck do appear brighter with the LED's, as mentioned earlier it seemed like it didn't throw light as far out as the halogens. The halogens' light was dimmer but illuminated objects further away.

Edit: here's the article http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/should-you-swap-your-headlight-bulbs-for-leds-1728026383

LED's come in a lot of different flavors, and a lot of different light outputs, and some have focus issues, because the light comes from a different location inside the reflector.

I have been very happy with LED's in several different vehicles: Scion xD, Toyota Matrix and RAV4, Nissan Leaf.

Back