Anyone got a great deal this week?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I browsed this forum all night last night and decided I should aim for 7700 total cost for a 36 month lease SE without a fast charger, 10K miles/year. Today I called Stevens Creek and Sunnyvale and both are unwilling to come down from 9000-ish saying that they sold so much last couple of weeks and inventory is so low, that they really don't care for lowering the price. One dealer is working getting it lowered to 8,300 for me at 10K miles a year and said that's the best they can and willing to do.

I can't decide if that's just their negotiation strategy or if it's true, and if I should grab one while there's supplies. Has anyone had a hard time negotiating this week?

ventimocha said:
I browsed this forum all night last night and decided I should aim for 7700 total cost for a 36 month lease SE without a fast charger, 10K miles/year. Today I called Stevens Creek and Sunnyvale and both are unwilling to come down from 9000-ish saying that they sold so much last couple of weeks and inventory is so low, that they really don't care for lowering the price. One dealer is working getting it lowered to 8,300 for me at 10K miles a year and said that's the best they can and willing to do.

I can't decide if that's just their negotiation strategy or if it's true, and if I should grab one while there's supplies. Has anyone had a hard time negotiating this week?
A rule with dealers are, if you aren't in their lobby, why offer you a deal you will just take to another dealer.

If you are in the lobby you should get the $7700 deal you want (It's around the same as my deal which includes conquest rebate).

forbin404 said:
ventimocha said:

A rule with dealers are, if you aren't in their lobby, why offer you a deal you will just take to another dealer.

If you are in the lobby you should get the $7700 deal you want (It's around the same as my deal which includes conquest rebate).
Does your deal (round 7700) include taxes? That's one thing I can't decipher from many posts here, whether tax is included or not. That counts for about 360 total.

Based on the Sales Figures from VW, they sold 609 last month vs 237 in Dec 2014. http://media.vw.com/release/1121/
The leasehackr posting on this car probably helped sales as well. http://leasehackr.com/blog/2015/12/24/californians-e-golf-117-month-0-down
Stevens Creek also lowered the newspaper ad special on the car to $179/month with $0 down payment for 3yr/7.5k . This would help sell to the masses. http://www.stevenscreekvw.com/ (5th ad on the front page)

I'm led to believe the e-golf is selling pretty well now. Inventory is pretty low statewide.

The 2016 SEs are certainly selling well; I've seen more e-Golfs driving around this month than ever, and every time I've looked at a parked one, it's been a 2016 SE. Bay Area EV shoppers are usually looking for a commuter car, so this comes as no surprise.

The 2016 SELs have been a different story. Something to consider if you're debating between the two and want to score a deal

SDegolf said:
Based on the Sales Figures from VW, they sold 609 last month vs 237 in Dec 2014. http://media.vw.com/release/1121/
The leasehackr posting on this car probably helped sales as well. http://leasehackr.com/blog/2015/12/24/californians-e-golf-117-month-0-down
Stevens Creek also lowered the newspaper ad special on the car to $179/month with $0 down payment for 3yr/7.5k . This would help sell to the masses. http://www.stevenscreekvw.com/ (5th ad on the front page)

I'm led to believe the e-golf is selling pretty well now. Inventory is pretty low statewide.
Sigh, looks like I'm a week late to the party.

I signed a 10k annual lease on a '16 SE last weekend from a dealer in the LA area. I negotiated $1k down with 35 remaining payments of $195, all inclusive. ($7825 total) I think I could have done a little better from an OC dealer but they didn't have one in stock. Good luck.

ventimocha said:

Go down to Sunnyvale on Sunday the 31st. Today, it says they have 24 SE's on the lot. Stick to your number and just keep pounding on them to get the number down to where you think it should be. Do the walk-out if you have to. It's the last day of the month, so if they want to book the sale, then that is the time to do it.

miimura said:
ventimocha said:

Go down to Sunnyvale on Sunday the 31st. Today, it says they have 24 SE's on the lot. Stick to your number and just keep pounding on them to get the number down to where you think it should be. Do the walk-out if you have to. It's the last day of the month, so if they want to book the sale, then that is the time to do it.

Late in the day on the 30th of the month will work too. Show up after having an early dinner on any weekday evening, last 2 or 3 days of the month. If need be, don't be afraid to head to Southern California if it will save you enough money, or consider looking at a leased 2015 SEL also.

Time is on your side provided you can weather your own impatience.

While it might be true they are selling them like hotcakes, the fact of the matter is the eGolf SE is using what is rapidly becoming outdated technology.
Next year's model should see a range increase. VW is still trying to get an accurate read on the EV market's pulse. Last year they offered SEL and LE models. This year they offered SEL and SE models and then added in an SE with quick charger option.

VW has also been in the news a lot and taken a hit to their brand. People willing to ignore those issues were cashing in on the deals. Just because they sold hundreds with firesale pricing doesn't mean they'll do it again the following quarter with regular pricing. If the dealers think that's true chalk it up to hubris.

My wife and I first looked an eGolf the first day they hit the lots. MSRP.
We came back during a Memorial Day weekend sale. MSRP - $500.
Then dieselgate and loyalty bonus. MSRP - $4k - $2K.

You combine that $6K savings with the nearly $5k drop from an SEL to SE and we ended up saving $10k from the previous year before rebates. Add in the nearly $10K in fed+state rebates and we got a car that works for us for almost half the price we were considering paying a year before.

The changes in these models are going to be analogous to consumer electronics, which measure lifespans in months rather than years.
I'm not a proponent of the throw-away society but that seems to be the trend the EV market is moving toward.

Bottom line is the worst they can do is make you walk out on something that isn't the right deal for you with the likely consequence being you getting a better price and/or better technology down the road. You really have nothing to lose unless you are without a car and need to buy now.

Don't fall into the "next year should see a range increase" trap. You'll never wind up buying a car with this outlook.

My opinion is that this forum is VERY optimistic on battery tech. Whereas, in reality, battery tech is incremental, not revolutionary. As consumers, we can probably expect a small bump (maybe 5% to 10%) in range for every year.

I know someone is going to bring up The Bolt, but it took Chevy a while to get there. And until we have an actual analysis on the range of their battery, it's all Chevy PR talking. From what I understand, they are using the same technology as everyone else.

Today is the 28th, I'd go hit every dealership today, as the month ends on a weekend, which does not help you, the buyer, at all. Try to negotiate a deal today, before the herd arrives. Of course, the dealership knows this too, the weekend month end plays in their favor. February won't be any better, same situation with a month with only 28 days in it, ending on a weekend.

bizzle said:
VW has already announced a 30% increased range. Whether it is implemented in 6 months or another year is anyone's guess but it's not pie in the sky.

Also, if that's all you took from my previous post that's an incredibly truncated way of interpreting what I wrote.

The absence of a response to anything else you suggested is merely agreement. Will make sure I nod my hat to you next time.

For the record, I agree with everything else Bizzle said in his previous post.

However, they just announced the 30% increase, so if the extra (unconfirmed) 25mi are that important, I'd suggest just buying a Bolt later this year and getting 200mi range.

bizzle said:
VW recently announced a 30% increased range.
VW didn't formally announce anything. An executive said something to someone at a car show and EV media ran with it. This is not the same thing as an announcement. I put the chances of a US model e-Golf getting a battery capacity increase for the 2017 model year at about 50-50. Of course, I would like to be surprised with a 30kWh+ battery this fall. Certainly by 2018 model year they will do it.

Anyway, if you really need a car, negotiate the best you can and enjoy the car now. If you don't live in CA, maybe a 2 year lease is better. Getting the rebate for 3 year lease is more prudent in CA.

miimura said:
bizzle said:
VW recently announced a 30% increased range.
VW didn't formally announce anything. An executive said something to someone at a car show and EV media ran with it. This is not the same thing as an announcement. I put the chances of a US model e-Golf getting a battery capacity increase for the 2017 model year at about 50-50. Of course, I would like to be surprised with a 30kWh+ battery this fall. Certainly by 2018 model year they will do it.

Anyway, if you really need a car, negotiate the best you can and enjoy the car now. If you don't live in CA, maybe a 2 year lease is better. Getting the rebate for 3 year lease is more prudent in CA.

This.

miimura said:
bizzle said:

Agreed! My 2002 Subaru was on its last legs and I needed a car. I know electric car tech will improve, but the 2016 SE suits my current needs perfectly, and the government incentives won't last forever. 10-15 years from now I'm sure I'll be ready for another new car; I'm excited to think about what will be available then!

MLS said:
miimura said:
bizzle said:

Agreed! My 2002 Subaru was on its last legs and I needed a car. I know electric car tech will improve, but the 2016 SE suits my current needs perfectly, and the government incentives won't last forever. 10-15 years from now I'm sure I'll be ready for another new car; I'm excited to think about what will be available then!

Get off the keyboard if work is over and hustle on down to 3 VW dealerships tonight with pen in hand, and see if you can sign, then drive, with no down payment, with terms you can live with. Go for it!

Back