Buyers of e-Golf. Did you pay MSRP full price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx! And I don't know those things yet. My appointment is tomorrow to pick it up. So weird, we negotiated back and forth for nearly two weeks purely by texting. In my view, it took much of the stress out of the equation.

Bmwtech said:
Thx! And I don't know those things yet. My appointment is tomorrow to pick it up. So weird, we negotiated back and forth for nearly two weeks purely by texting. In my view, it took much of the stress out of the equation.
See my post in this thread, dated, Oct 8th 2015, for a smoking deal on a 2015 SEL, with 7.2KWH charger pack and quick charge SAE package, as well as full LED driving and DRL running lights... that's right the driving lights are LED too, and they are sweet! Don't settle for halogens in your 2016 SE.

Wow, that IS a smokin deal!
I don't wanna pay cash though.
I didn't know about the LED lights, will they try to upsell them to me?
I can simply insist on them being a part of the original price?

Bmwtech said:

It matters not to them if you pay cash, or finance outside their organization. Show up with a cashiers check from where ever you choose to get the loan from. The 7.2kwh charger, in my opinion, if you travel, is a must, along with the level 3 speed charger. Time charging is money, if you need to charge, you need it now, not in 7 or 8 hours worth of waiting around.

With a full charge in the morning, driven nicely, and a 30 min level 3 speed charge somewhere near the 90 to 100 miles logged mark, you have up to a 150- 200 mile a day range car, and just get a full charge overnight where ever you stay, either with a 32 amp EVSE you buy with a 14-50 NEMA plug, at an RV park with full hookups, and buy $3 -5 worth, of electricity from them, or at a lodge with a level 2 charger on the premises... go take a look at Plugshare.com , you need to fiddle with the settings to get it to show what you want, and ignore what you don't want, like Tesla and CHAdeMO charger handles. You want J-1772 charger handles and SAE dual charger handles for the e-Golf.

The trick is to drive so that you average 5 to 5.5 Miles per Kwh used. Driving very fast or spirited eats into that fast. Driving conservative makes it easy, or just slowing down a bit to 50 - 60 mph, and taking the 2 lane roads instead of the interstate.

JoulesThief said:
Bmwtech said:

It matters not to them if you pay cash, or finance outside their organization. Show up with a cashiers check from where ever you choose to get the loan from. The 7.2kwh charger, in my opinion, if you travel, is a must, along with the level 3 speed charger. Time charging is money, if you need to charge, you need it now, not in 7 or 8 hours worth of waiting around.

With a full charge in the morning, driven nicely, and a 30 min level 3 speed charge somewhere near the 90 to 100 miles logged mark, you have up to a 150- 200 mile a day range car, and just get a full charge overnight where ever you stay, either with a 32 amp EVSE you buy with a 14-50 NEMA plug, at an RV park with full hookups, and buy $3 -5 worth, of electricity from them, or at a lodge with a level 2 charger on the premises... go take a look at Plugshare.com , you need to fiddle with the settings to get it to show what you want, and ignore what you don't want, like Tesla and CHAdeMO charger handles. You want J-1772 charger handles and SAE dual charger handles for the e-Golf.

The trick is to drive so that you average 5 to 5.5 Miles per Kwh used. Driving very fast or spirited eats into that fast. Driving conservative makes it easy, or just slowing down a bit to 50 - 60 mph, and taking the 2 lane roads instead of the interstate.
Great info, thank you so much! I understand that the 7.2kwh charger is optional with the SE, does that mean something is different with the car? Or is it simply an apparatus that I have hard-wire installed at my house? Also, regarding the LED lights, will they try to up-sell them to me?
Can I simply insist on them being a part of the original price?
They are financing 0% for 72 months, how can I say no to that? ;)

The 7.2 kWh charge option is not available yet and has to be added at the factory. If you don't get it now, you won't realistically be able to put it on in the future (that said, I've read Leaf owners forums where they have upgraded theirs aftermarket). The bottom line is if you want the faster charger capability, and if you are going to own your car I would agree with JoulesThief that it's likely to be a must-have even if simply for resale value, you need to wait for the late year SE or buy an SEL.

The LED lights were described as an option to me when my wife and I leased our SE, and an extra $1000, but I didn't see the sheet and there is some disagreement on the forum whether the sales manager told me accurate information.

If you are going to rely on free charging, it behooves you to get the 7.2kw charger which also comes with the level 3 SAE charger feature. You don't want to be holding up parking in a public place with a 2 hour limit and you being only able to take on 30-33 miles in 2 hours of time. With a 7.2kwh charge pack, you'll take on 60-70 miles in 2 hours charge time. With Level 3 charging, you can take on 90-95 miles in 20 minutes

Some places start billing you at a much higher rate once your 2 hours are over, whether you are charging or not.
The point is this.... it's not a public parking spot, it's a public charging spot you are occupying, just like when fueling up, you have an obligation to get in, and get out, once your have refueled, or recharged. When you are done, someone else may be waiting for that recharge spot.

If you are going to own, find a 2015 SEL quickly, and work a good deal on it.

e-golfnight_zps6rtysbyr.jpg

Dang! So glad I checked with you. I thought the 7.2 was an add-on. Didn't know it was factory built-in and not abailable on SE.

Bmwtech said:
Dang! So glad I checked with you. I thought the 7.2 was an add-on. Didn't know it was factory built-in and not abailable on SE.

It's not available YET on the SE in 2016, as an option.

I'd find a 2015 SEL and see if you can get a better price than I did. Look for one with a high 911XXX or low 912XXX build from April or May of 2015, for fresh batteries. SEL has leather steering wheel with full functions on the steering wheel too.

FYI the 2015 models don't have App-Connect or Park Pilot. These may not matter, but something to consider if the car's technology is important. They are for and me. that's why I decided to wait for a 2016.

I agree with the other comments that if you're planning to use the e-Golf for purposes outside of regular commuting, the 7.2 kw charger is a must-do and looking for a 2015 would make a lot of sense. They're getting very hard to find though - they seem to be totally sold out in Silicon Valley and Santa Cruz but still there's some in East Bay and Monterey.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?PMmt=1-1-0&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId&feedSegId=28705&isDealerGrouping=false&mdId=56107&mkId=20089&requestorTrackingInfo=RTB_SEARCH&rpp=50&sf1Dir=ASC&sf1Nm=location&sf2Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=price&stkTypId=28880&yrId=56007&zc=93940&rd=100000&searchSource=UTILITY

You will have to travel, if you are picky about color in a 2015 SEL. You should be able to get a smoking good price, for less than that 2016 SE. I drive, I'm not interested in screwing around with smart phones, or something that backs up for me automatically. That's a chicky poo feature, Real Men steer.

Don't worry about the MSRP, ask for their internet guy, and ask for their best price, out the door, and with all line items above the bottom line, like sales tax, registration, and any other nonsense they use to line their pockets. Ask them to email it to you, and that you want to do the deal within 2 or 3 days. Have your finances, and a potential source of another loan already set up, before you approach them for best price.

Have you figured out what color you want? While it won't help you much, the selection in and around Los Angeles is much, much better. Or check out Berkeley. I wouldn't think these are good sellers at Central Valley VW, they might make a smoking deal to get these off their lots. This 912XXX VIN is at least a May, possibly a June 2015 build, located in Modesto, fresh battery. http://www.centralvalleyvw.com/new/Volkswagen/2015-Volkswagen-e-Golf-dbbc019f0a0e0adf4686ae8dd7ea9371.htm

What color is your first choice, and your second choice? White seems to be selling very good down here in So Cal.

johnnylingo said:
FYI the 2015 models don't have App-Connect or Park Pilot. These may not matter, but something to consider if the car's technology is important. They are for and me. that's why I decided to wait for a 2016.

I agree with the other comments that if you're planning to use the e-Golf for purposes outside of regular commuting, the 7.2 kw charger is a must-do and looking for a 2015 would make a lot of sense. They're getting very hard to find though - they seem to be totally sold out in Silicon Valley and Santa Cruz but still there's some in East Bay and Monterey.
2015 LE and SEL have Park Pilot, that is just the sensors. The Driver Assistance Package that will be available later on the 2016s has Park Assist, which is the thing that actually steers the car into a parking space. App-Connect (CarPlay and Android Auto) is definitely a 2016-only thing and not retro-fittable. There are more 2015's available in SoCal. It may be worth shipping the car if you get a good deal. I noticed that a dealer out in the desert even has a couple LE's. Those could potentially be the best deal of all.

johnnylingo said:

2015 LE and SEL both have Park Pilot, that is just the sensors. The Driver Assistance Package that will be available later on the 2016s has Park Assist, which is the thing that actually steers the car into a parking space. App-Connect (CarPlay and Android Auto) is definitely a 2016-only thing and not retro-fittable. There are more 2015's available in SoCal. It may be worth shipping the car if you get a good deal. I noticed that a dealer out in the desert even has a couple LE's. Those could potentially be the best deal of all.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
I went into this thinking I wanted an SE and was supposed to go buy it today!! Now with your guidance, it is clear to me that an SEL (or LE?) would be more appropriate for me. I don't care so much about the software and navi, but the 7.2 is pretty significant and I was misinformed by a sales guy that it was something I could add on later.
I was hoping to get the Night Blue but either of the two blues work for me.
I also wasn't aware of a VIN split in some kind of mid-production battery upgrade.
Does this apply to SE, LE, and SEL?
I don't mind going to SoCal for this car, I'm 51 and never had a new car so I'm pretty excited. But I don't wanna rush into it and regret something either. Plus, my wife and I could go see Mickey ;)
Again, thank you all so much for your input!

Bmwtech said:
THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
I went into this thinking I wanted an SE and was supposed to go buy it today!! Now with your guidance, it is clear to me that an SEL (or LE?) would be more appropriate for me. I don't care so much about the software and navi, but the 7.2 is pretty significant and I was misinformed by a sales guy that it was something I could add on later.
I was hoping to get the Night Blue but either of the two blues work for me.
I also wasn't aware of a VIN split in some kind of mid-production battery upgrade.
Does this apply to SE, LE, and SEL?
I don't mind going to SoCal for this car, I'm 51 and never had a new car so I'm pretty excited. But I don't wanna rush into it and regret something either. Plus, my wife and I could go see Mickey ;)
Again, thank you all so much for your input!

I'd do a search at McKenna or Capistrano VW to see what they have in blue, then. What you want is a new manufacture car with the battery as new as possible, which is determined by production date.

My suggestion is that if you want to drive it home, and not spend all your time recharging, plan on 150 to 180 miles a day.

Load up the PlugShare.com App on your smart phone, set it up for "J-1772" chargers for overnight charging at wherever it is you are staying at, and "SAE Combo" chargers, which is level 3 chargers and try to pull in to the area with your needle near the red if using the level 3 charger.
I would hit the LA Zoo level 3 charger, then try to get to Ventura, take a 1 hour break at a free level 2 charger, maybe at Barber VW, then make a run for the Costco Level 3 charger in Goleta up 101. Make sure they have a level 2 charger where ever you stay overnight and give your car a full charge. It might only be Santa Barbara that you make the first night.

http://www.mckennavwcerritos.com/new-inventory/index.htm?year=2015&model=e-Golf&bodyStyle=&internetPrice=&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-model-2

http://www.capovw.com/new-volkswagen-e-golf-san-juan-capistrano-ca

I hope I don't sound like a broken record by thanking so much, but I really am appreciative. I used the Cars.com search and found some LE's on the other coast for $24k! Stupid question: Can I still get Cal 2500 and Fed 7500 if I buy out of state?

A very important pointer for you:

Your KEYFOB unlocks the charger handle, when you push "unlock" on the keyfob. When PUBLICLY charging up your car, you do not park your car and leave it there overnight. You are at a CHARGING STATION, which is identical to a GAS station in etiquette... fill up and move on, as soon as you are done pumping, be it gas or electrons into your batteries. This is not the time to multitask.

Best practice:

When car is finished charging, Pull out keyfob and press the "unlock" button twice on the keyfob.

Open right rear door.(optional, only when you don't hear the latch on your car plug in port not unlock from the charger handle

Grab charger handle and press the "release" button on the charger handle.

Withdraw charger handle, and close the flap on your car.

coil up cable neatly on the charger and replace charger handle on the EVSE.

This is an anomaly that exists only on the 2015 e-Golf. Make sure you have the dealership show you how to release the charger handle after a partial or a full charge, and the 2015 is a "Locker". This is very important in public charging areas to understand, no one else but you can press the keyfob to release the charger handle, so you need to be present while charging and not dawdle... there are many others at public chargers that need that charge handle that's locked to your car.

You should be able to get a 2015 SEL for $27200 without a Vw owner loyalty discount, or less... $25,200 with the Owner loyalty discount or even better, now. Call them today. Have them email you their best price.

Another anomaly of these electric cars... time saved driving fast in these cars does not offset time spent charging at a Level 2 charger or slower. Level 3 chargers are hard on the battery, so use them as infrequently as possible, and not on "back to back' charges with a level 3 charger. Plan on 3 days to get you home to Nor CA via highway 101, with lodging along the way also. You will be "tethered" on the drive home, I hope you are retired, or on a long vacation for this road trip.

What I am saying above is that you're better off getting 10 or 15 more miles down the road and getting a recharge at 50 to 55 mph, than 10 or 15 miles less between recharges and driving 65 mph. Refilling is not as easy and is time consuming, so getting much over 200 miles in a day would be a tough stretch, and a very long day.

Some Apps to add to your smart phone, before you buy your car. You can always call the number on the charger to get someone on the line to manually get the charger started for you, since you won't have an RFID credit card yet.

PlugShare

ChargePoint

GreenLots

EVchargehub

A lot of Whole Foods stores have free 2 hour charges, as do a lot of municipality buildings, like county Sheriff Stations, court houses, universities, etc. Know how to work the system, and accept that level 2 charging, even with 7.2kwh, is a 2.5 to3.5 or 4 hour stop over. Your car can't live on a diet of Level 3 high speed DC charging, it's hard on the battery, read your owners manual... I would only use level 3 charging every other cycle, just for your trip to get home.

Bmwtech said:
I hope I don't sound like a broken record by thanking so much, but I really am appreciative. I used the Cars.com search and found some LE's on the other coast for $24k! Stupid question: Can I still get Cal 2500 and Fed 7500 if I buy out of state?
You can put the car you purchased on your taxes regardless of where you purchase or operate the car. If you lease, you have to make sure they include the $7,500 in the Cap Reduction. The State doesn't care where you get the car either. However, you cannot apply until you have the CA temporary registration. The CA rebate also requires that you have a lease of at least 30 months and you will have to return a pro-rated portion if the car is moved out of state or totalled.

miimura said:
Bmwtech said:
You can put the car you purchased on your taxes regardless of where you purchase or operate the car. If you lease, you have to make sure they include the $7,500 in the Cap Reduction. The State doesn't care where you get the car either. However, you cannot apply until you have the CA temporary registration. The CA rebate also requires that you have a lease of at least 30 months and you will have to return a pro-rated portion if the car is moved out of state or totalled.
Many thanks! I might just have one shipped here to San Jose!

Back