Buyers of e-Golf. Did you pay MSRP full price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoulesThief said:
A very important pointer for you:

Your KEYFOB unlocks the charger handle, when you push "unlock" on the keyfob. When PUBLICLY charging up your car, you do not park your car and leave it there overnight. You are at a CHARGING STATION, which is identical to a GAS station in etiquette... fill up and move on, as soon as you are done pumping, be it gas or electrons into your batteries. This is not the time to multitask.

Best practice:

When car is finished charging, Pull out keyfob and press the "unlock" button twice on the keyfob.

Open right rear door.(optional, only when you don't hear the latch on your car plug in port not unlock from the charger handle

Grab charger handle and press the "release" button on the charger handle.

Withdraw charger handle, and close the flap on your car.

coil up cable neatly on the charger and replace charger handle on the EVSE.

This is an anomaly that exists only on the 2015 e-Golf. Make sure you have the dealership show you how to release the charger handle after a partial or a full charge, and the 2015 is a "Locker". This is very important in public charging areas to understand, no one else but you can press the keyfob to release the charger handle, so you need to be present while charging and not dawdle... there are many others at public chargers that need that charge handle that's locked to your car.

You should be able to get a 2015 SEL for $27200 without a Vw owner loyalty discount, or less... $25,200 with the Owner loyalty discount or even better, now. Call them today. Have them email you their best price.

Another anomaly of these electric cars... time saved driving fast in these cars does not offset time spent charging at a Level 2 charger or slower. Level 3 chargers are hard on the battery, so use them as infrequently as possible, and not on "back to back' charges with a level 3 charger. Plan on 3 days to get you home to Nor CA via highway 101, with lodging along the way also. You will be "tethered" on the drive home, I hope you are retired, or on a long vacation for this road trip.

What I am saying above is that you're better off getting 10 or 15 more miles down the road and getting a recharge at 50 to 55 mph, than 10 or 15 miles less between recharges and driving 65 mph. Refilling is not as easy and is time consuming, so getting much over 200 miles in a day would be a tough stretch, and a very long day.
I get the etiquette thing, although I'm sure there's a bunch of inconsiderate aholes out there, I'm not one of them.

Bmwtech said:
miimura said:
Bmwtech said:
I hope I don't sound like a broken record by thanking so much, but I really am appreciative. I used the Cars.com search and found some LE's on the other coast for $24k! Stupid question: Can I still get Cal 2500 and Fed 7500 if I buy out of state?
You can put the car you purchased on your taxes regardless of where you purchase or operate the car. If you lease, you have to make sure they include the $7,500 in the Cap Reduction. The State doesn't care where you get the car either. However, you cannot apply until you have the CA temporary registration. The CA rebate also requires that you have a lease of at least 30 months and you will have to return a pro-rated portion if the car is moved out of state or totalled.
Many thanks! I might just have one shipped here to San Jose!

There is no way in hell I would buy a new car, my first one at that, sight unseen, without testing everything on it before buying. You've no idea what they might ship you, or what problems, or blems, ice or hail or paint damage or acid rain has done to the paint on your new car.
Test drive, hell, test everything, before you buy your new car, in person. Common sense tells you to kick the tires.

I have bought 3 VW's out of state in the past 3 years, every dealership has been more than willing to pick me up at the airport to do the new car deal. Las Vegas, SLC, and Denver. Worth every penny I saved for the flight and the road trip back home... the car is broken in by the time it's parked in the garage.

Good deals on new cars are at the dealerships where you find them, it's up to you to go get them after the deal is made.

Bmwtech said:
Regardless of model, I'm looking for VIN 911xxx or later, and MayJune or later. Check.

Not your first choice of color, but Modesto VW has a 9124XX model in white. Seems they made a lot of the cars late in the production runs white. while a dime a dozen, the white ZEV sticker on the bumper sides and back would be less contrast and less obnoxious, unless contrast is something you enjoy... I'd prefer to keep my german cars decal free, but that decal comes with some nice perks around here, Santa Monica allows free charging and free parking for most all ZEV electric vehicles.

miimura said:
2015 LE and SEL both have Park Pilot, that is just the sensors. The Driver Assistance Package that will be available later on the 2016s has Park Assist, which is the thing that actually steers the car into a parking space.

Good catch. The 2015s do have the sensors, although it's called "Park Distance Control (PDC)" as opposed to "Park Pilot" for the 2016s. Both are sensing only, so I'm assuming the only difference is marketing. The VW website doesn't list parking sensors as a feature on the 2015 Limited, but they're definitely there. Steel wheels, cloth seats, halogen headlights, and no heat pump are the only changes.

So we're both wrong..and both right :lol:

Bmwtech said:
I was hoping to get the Night Blue but either of the two blues work for me.

Both the blues are popular, the night blue especially. Most of the available 2015s will be white or silver, but I saw Monterey has an LE in Limestone Gray and Richmond has a SEL in Pacific Blue. The VINs end in 90XXXX though.

Bmwtech said:
I also wasn't aware of a VIN split in some kind of mid-production battery upgrade.

Me neither. My understanding was there was a battery problem identified eariler this year, but it was fixed via software.

Serramonte and Sunnyvale were able to offer the best deals when my wife and I were looking for a lease.
From the messages on the boards it looks like the Northern Californian dealerships were offering the best deals, so it might not pay to come all the way down here. I know both of those dealerships offered to ship an SE to us for around $750 dollars. The last time I remember hail in this part of California was over 30 years ago but even still the way the process was described to me was the paperwork would be in hand with the guy riding up with the car, and we'd sign it upon delivery, which would leave the option of refusing delivery if the car was not acceptable. As far as any issues, it'll be under warranty and can be serviced at any dealership if anything arises.

That said, just make sure you talk this over with your tax person or take a good look at what you are going to owe in a few months. It's not a given that you'll get the $7500. The $2500 is a rebate but the $7500 is a credit. If you don't owe more than $7500 dollars this year you won't get the full credit. If you lease it you will. You'll also pay significantly less taxes. I'm not sure what the incentive of buying over leasing is. I have never leased before, but given that we can buy it for the residual amount (our SE residual is $11K) or possibly even lower after negotiation (worst case scenario is it costs us ~$14K out of pocket including everything we've spent out of pocket from day 1 to last day of the lease) it seems like a no-brainer...especially with the technology in the state it's in now (infancy).

bizzle said:
Serramonte and Sunnyvale were able to offer the best deals when my wife and I were looking for a lease.
From the messages on the boards it looks like the Northern Californian dealerships were offering the best deals, so it might not pay to come all the way down here. I know both of those dealerships offered to ship an SE to us for around $750 dollars. The last time I remember hail in this part of California was over 30 years ago but even still the way the process was described to me was the paperwork would be in hand with the guy riding up with the car, and we'd sign it upon delivery, which would leave the option of refusing delivery if the car was not acceptable. As far as any issues, it'll be under warranty and can be serviced at any dealership if anything arises.

That said, just make sure you talk this over with your tax person or take a good look at what you are going to owe in a few months. It's not a given that you'll get the $7500. The $2500 is a rebate but the $7500 is a credit. If you don't owe more than $7500 dollars this year you won't get the full credit. If you lease it you will. You'll also pay significantly less taxes. I'm not sure what the incentive of buying over leasing is. I have never leased before, but given that we can buy it for the residual amount (our SE residual is $11K) or possibly even lower after negotiation (worst case scenario is it costs us ~$14K out of pocket including everything we've spent out of pocket from day 1 to last day of the lease) it seems like a no-brainer...especially with the technology in the state it's in now (infancy).

As an example, say that in 2015 I had a short term capital gain on some stock that I sold in 2015 and held less than a year of $20,000. Bought $40,000 in Apple stock and sold it for $60,000.

Federal income tax rate on short term capital gains is 25%, or a federal income tax of $5,000 owed on that $20,000 profit of sale. That $5,000 owed, for me, will be wiped out by my $7,500 credit for buying an EV. :mrgreen:

And I love not having to give the government one more cent. With enough free time to sit around and recharge on someone else's nickle, I've probably saved $140 on gas for the past 1100 miles in the last 5 weeks. Do I really believe I am keeping the air cleaner? Maybe in my backyard, but at the expense of firing up a nuclear or coal plant to make electricity in a neighboring state... nothing like being a dog and polluting in someone else's back yard. It's when you pollute on their front lawn that it becomes noticeable and a visible inconvenience. Really wish I had the money for enough land to plant a solar farm to be self sufficient in my electrical needs and go off the grid completely. A 2 to 3kwh capable spread might just be overkill.

JoulesThief said:
As an example, say that in 2015 I had a short term capital gain on some stock that I sold in 2015 and held less than a year of $20,000. Bought $40,000 in Apple stock and sold it for $60,000.

Nice work. Did this with tesla options a few times :)

JoulesThief said:
Federal income tax rate on short term capital gains is 25%, or a federal income tax of $5,000 owed on that $20,000 profit of sale. That $5,000 owed, for me, will be wiped out by my $7,500 credit for buying an EV. :mrgreen:

And I love not having to give the government one more cent. With enough free time to sit around and recharge on someone else's nickle, I've probably saved $140 on gas for the past 1100 miles in the last 5 weeks. Do I really believe I am keeping the air cleaner? Maybe in my backyard, but at the expense of firing up a nuclear or coal plant to make electricity in a neighboring state... nothing like being a dog and polluting in someone else's back yard. It's when you pollute on their front lawn that it becomes noticeable and a visible inconvenience. Really wish I had the money for enough land to plant a solar farm to be self sufficient in my electrical needs and go off the grid completely. A 2 to 3kwh capable spread might just be overkill.

Your chance is still that the electricity comes to a certain degree from renewable energy, so you may not be that polluting compared to a gas car either way. Best way to make sure however is to put a few solar panels on your garage or house roof, if you are owning your residence and have control over that. I got tired of paying PG&E $250/month in the summer, and instead bought 40 solar panels for a 10kW system, overproducing significantly so that I won't have to pay them and contribute enough clean energy so I can drive as sporty as I want and still feel good about it.

It's also not just about the immediate pollution, its about setting the cash flow direction towards the right things. It may take 7 years for me to amortize on the solar panels but I don't care, because at least my cash flows into the right hands over it. Same with buying an EV instead of a TDI.

Skryll said:
JoulesThief said:

Nice work. Did this with tesla options a few times :)

JoulesThief said:

Your chance is still that the electricity comes to a certain degree from renewable energy, so you may not be that polluting compared to a gas car either way. Best way to make sure however is to put a few solar panels on your garage or house roof, if you are owning your residence and have control over that. I got tired of paying PG&E $250/month in the summer, and instead bought 40 solar panels for a 10kW system, overproducing significantly so that I won't have to pay them and contribute enough clean energy so I can drive as sporty as I want and still feel good about it.

It's also not just about the immediate pollution, its about setting the cash flow direction towards the right things. It may take 7 years for me to amortize on the solar panels but I don't care, because at least my cash flows into the right hands over it. Same with buying an EV instead of a TDI.

You've no idea how close I came to plunking 40k down on a use 2014 Audi A6 Quattro TDI... In the end, when I put it side by side with my 2014 Passat TDI SE, I saw that the added value was lacking far beyond the increase in the price tag, for 4 Union Rings on the hood and rear deck lid, with no increase in serviceablility in getting me from point A to point B. When Volkswagen did their programming on TDI's to get incredible fuel mileage, at the expense of NOX emissions, the used prices for my 3 TDI's took a dump, due to the uncertainty of it all, how VW is going to fix them all.

With as much use as I plan to get out of the e-Golf, VW will not be seeing me in their shop for services or repairs on my TDI's any time soon... When and if VW comes out with an e-Passat made in Chattanooga... I will look long and hard at getting one, if the price is reasonable enough.

Joules Thief and No2Gas,

Thanks for posting your great deals here on the forum. I thought 31,200 for a 2015 SEL was a good deal and almost signed on the bottom line this weekend. Indecision saved me a few thousand, when I got home, I found this forum and it's been fantastic because you guys all posted your fabulous deals, which lets me know what to expect. The dealer said he would be willing to beat or match any written offers I got, would you guys be so kind as to tell me which dealers you used, or provide a copy of the sales agreement?

Thanks from Los Angeles

Fantastic! That's the closest dealer to my house. I tried emailing them but had no luck. Maybe I'll have better luck with your contact.

bmwtech is the proud new owner of a silver/black 2015 SEL e-Golf. Flew in from San Jose, got on the Flyaway bus, I picked him up, and we ran him over to the nearby dealership. He did very good on price, considering it's now November, and not October, without Owner Loyalty. He also ended up with a May build 122XX VIN number, so his battery pack is good and fresh.

We left Valencia around 2:30 pm, and he's headed for San Luis Obispo. Got his first expensive Level 3 charge at Costco in Goleta, CA on highway 101. I guess the view of the ocean at sunset must have been really nice, with the view from highway 101.

It's been a very, very stressful 3 days negotiating this deal for bmwtech... in the end, neither roonie nor bmwtech ended up using the Long Beach Dealership I used, too much games going on with pricing, so we both walked. I think the Long Beach Dealership tried to play both of us against each other, pricing wise, and in the end, lost a sale.

So one more silver 2015 SEL will be now running around the San Jose area, and another 2015 silver SEL, hopefully around the south bay area... am I right, roonie? :!:

There were some incredibly good deals in October, when VW was under the microscope and in the nightly news daily, for weeks. That's a once in a lifetime type of occurrence. November pricing is not appearing to be as aggressive or frugal as October. There are still 2015's out there, looking for new homes, here in So Cal. They aren't exactly flying off of dealers lots. Bid accordingly.

For those looking for the going rate on e-Golfs: Last weekend (11/8) I purchased a 2016 e-Golf SEL (white) for $33,000. That's the price before sales tax, state & federal rebates/credits, and DMV fees, and after subtracting a $1000 conquest incentive (for owners of non-VW vehicles). And 0% financing too. This was from Niello VW in Sacramento, CA. The price was somewhat higher than I was hoping for, after seeing the 2015s go so low at the end of the model year, but it seemed to be the best available in the area.

Picked up a 2015 urano gray SEL for $28,000 before taxes and title from Boston VW today.

With conquest cash, got marked down to $26,500.

After federal/state incentives looking at $16,500.

Almost as good as Joulesthief, but really couldn't get them any lower. Not a lot of E-Golfs left in Boston either.

rwill said:
Picked up a 2015 urano gray SEL for $28,000 before taxes and title from Boston VW today.

With conquest cash, got marked down to $26,500.

After federal/state incentives looking at $16,500.

Almost as good as Joulesthief, but really couldn't get them any lower. Not a lot of E-Golfs left in Boston either.

No worries, you did great... VW ownership loyalty was $2000 for me in early October. Enjoy your new e-Golf, don't get mad or hate what it doesn't have, instead, go through regular german car owner adaptation period... you adapt to your new german electric car. You spent the money, you got what you got, it is what it is.

Plan on a lot less range if you run the heater aggressively, instead of the drivers seat heater. Bundle up in clothing according if you need to extend range per charge. You are about to learn how wasteful American drivers are, all about driving slower to drive efficiently to increase range, and how much electricity it costs to heat air around you instead of your butt. Every little mistake you make compounds shortening your already limited drivers range between recharging.

Back