Charging Door Won't Open

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same situation.

Slam technique worked like a charm.

Would say it was at about 28% fist bump power?

'16 e-Golf SEL

None of the tricks posted here worked for me, but...

Here is the mechanical solution I got the idea for from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN3H43QGZ2k

(1) pop off the door cover from the plastic backer/hinge. Some tabs might break but the door should be possible to pop back on and may need some rubbery glue to stay in place.
I used bike tire tools to pry on lower right side to stick a small screwdriver 2 inches in to push the tab and let the door cover slide to the left.

(2) Force the plastic backer/hinge open with a larger screwdriver prying between the lock and the plastic backer/hinge. I was able to get my hinge to flex and unlock without damage. The goal is to make the plastic backer to flex the right, then pop out of the lock...

Note: it might be possible to skip step (1) and just get step (2) to work but I have not tried it.

My solenoid is dead and the way it failed, I was not able to get this simpler method to work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LMhaAo9jt4

I'm going to try and disable the locking in the simplest way possible that is reversible, TBD. Otherwise replacing the solenoid is not as easy:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...el-Door-Actuator-(fuel-flap-lock)-replacement

A few tabs broke, but it seemed to still hold in place. However I used a bit of polyurethane glue to hold the door...

I dremeled out the locking feature on the door backer plate. So I'm done!

Took my 2015 to Stevens Creek Volkswagen in Santa Clara, CA. $62.73 for the actuator part and $450 for a little over 2 hours of labor. About a year ago the charging cable would not release from the car after charging. Had to have it towed to dealer. They fixed that for free even though warranty had expired. I love driving the car, but this is getting pretty annoying.

Rbiswell said:
Took my 2015 to Stevens Creek Volkswagen in Santa Clara, CA. $62.73 for the actuator part and $450 for a little over 2 hours of labor. About a year ago the charging cable would not release from the car after charging. Had to have it towed to dealer. They fixed that for free even though warranty had expired. I love driving the car, but this is getting pretty annoying.

Wow that's a high labor charge. Anyone know if the mechanism is the same as the gasser version? If so, are they seeing failures too? Or just us because we have to open the flap so much more.

I just fixed this on my 2016, and the solution was different than any of these other answers. One day (not below freezing), the charging door stopped opening, and none of the "Fonzi bump" solutions offered worked. Finally I decided to take my chances and pry the door open, got a chisel in the gap, and it popped right open. One can slide the colored cover off by working it to the rear, so I did this, careful not to break any of the tabs. At that point I could charge the car, and if the door was accidentally closed, I had access to the latch and could pop it open again.
Now I opened up the charging area: first I loosened the rubber gasket enough to get behind it, and then slid off the little assembly with the latch: the "Door Lock Actuator." Although it was tethered into deep inside by an electrical cable, I was able to get it out of the car enough to look at it. I destroyed this piece by prying the lid off, but that turned out to be OK because the actuator was a mass of corrosion. And that was how I learned what happens when you park the car outside 24/7.
This piece is available; I got mine from Car Parts (Part no RB746403) for $41; it arrived in 4 weeks.
Replacing this piece was devilish, as it plugs into the electrical system, so I had to pull out the back trunk cover and the get the side trunk cover out of the way as best I could. Then it took about 2.5 hours of awkward work and cussing to get the piece replaced.
Everything works now, I now park my car in the garage no matter what, I paid $41, and I spent about 4 hours on the project.

Back