Charging fault, charging port locked and won't let go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas! This just happened to me. Discovered this morning. Car charged successfully using the provided
EVSE. Unfortunately, I live near Seattle and the nearest servicing options are about 200 miles away in Portland.
I wish there had been a recall notice issued earlier this year or any time prior to my last visit to the dealer.

Ugh, I feel your pain. Had our 2015 plugged in at home and couldn't detach
next morning. Had to have towed with charger plugged in. Dealership ran tests and got it out
fine. But we tried everything...called 1800 number, etc. locked, unlocked, started, stopped...bright orange only.

My problem today is...not charging at home! Box says it is, but no green light.
I'm driving it in later with range anxiety and we'all see.
It's really fun to drive, but hate these issues!

I just got the issue with no charging in my 2016.
I reset the charger and all was good (unplugged and plugged back in)

OK - read this before you disconnect your charger from your house, or tow your eGolf to the dealer. My cable (home charger - Clipper) was also stuck to the car - wouldn't let go, I tried everything. Car would not go into neutral either, so towing would be a challenge. Solution: go to Home Depot, get a 90 degree pick. Husky makes it, it's in a pack of 4 different picks, cost $6. (Get some WD-40 too, if you don't already have it) I got a chair to sit in, with a flashlight, and you take that 90 degree pick, and turn it on its side, and stick it in above (at the top of) the charging cable. There is a little metal pin, about a quarter inch wide, that is sticking out, preventing the cable from releasing. Take the pick and push IN (toward the car). You might find a tiny amount of resistance - you are pushing that pin in against a solenoid. Voila, the cable releases, and you should be good to go. BUT before you happily motor away, you should spray that pin with WD-40. The issue, I suspect, is that the pin has gotten gummed up with dust/dirt, and gets stuck. So in my case (and maybe yours), it was stuck in the OUT position, preventing that cable from releasing. Might be a good idea to periodically squirt that thing with WD-40, just to be sure.

Good luck.

Dan

2015 eGolf SEL

This is a major flaw - with a relatively simple fix: use a thin metal tool to push the metal pin at the top of the socket in, so you can push the button down to release the plug.

Image credit: Abrasha Staszewski

Charge%20Port%20Solenoid%20Pin_r_zpsgukc26ig.jpg

This has happened to us about 6 times now, and it is getting frustrating. VW needs to work thinks so the plug does NOT lock, except if you want it to. And they need to fix this lock release problem.

NeilBlanchard said:
This is a major flaw - with a relatively simple fix: use a thin metal tool to push the metal pin at the top of the socket in, so you can push the button down to release the plug.

This has happened to us about 6 times now, and it is getting frustrating. VW needs to work thinks so the plug does NOT lock, except if you want it to. And they need to fix this lock release problem.
If it happens repeatedly, I would have VW fix it. They will likely have to change the whole charge port and have to drop the battery to do the job, but it's their problem. I thought I heard that there was an updated part too, so maybe it'll be less likely to happen in the future.

a rule of thumb I follow with any thing that I have to show service is to record it happening with my video camera phone. That way we don't have to keep fighting about it 'not happening'

I've been doing this with my VW ever since my Galaxy S2. It puts an end to the denial by VW service reps and technicians that it indeed did happen and using the excuse of not being able to be duplicated by the service writer or technician.

I have asked the dealer to look at this, but they either couldn't reproduce it, or they couldn't find the cause.

The best solution is to have a switch toggling the lock on/off/on until fully charged like the Nissan Leaf has. We charge more than 99% of the time at home, and the lock is ALWAYS ANNOYING. If only that the charge meter resets to zero because the car tries to start charging again when you unlock it.

If I was charging at a public charger, I would only want it to stay locked until the battery is full. If I had to rush back to unlock it, so someone else can charge, this is also inconvenient.

I cannot think of even ONE REASON why having it permanently locked as it is now. This was designed by someone who has never driven an EV day in and day out.

NeilBlanchard said:
I have asked the dealer to look at this, but they either couldn't reproduce it, or they couldn't find the cause.

The best solution is to have a switch toggling the lock on/off/on until fully charged like the Nissan Leaf has. We charge more than 99% of the time at home, and the lock is ALWAYS ANNOYING. If only that the charge meter resets to zero because the car tries to start charging again when you unlock it.

If I was charging at a public charger, I would only want it to stay locked until the battery is full. If I had to rush back to unlock it, so someone else can charge, this is also inconvenient.

I cannot think of even ONE REASON why having it permanently locked as it is now. This was designed by someone who has never driven an EV day in and day out.

No, it was designed for the European countries, where everyone carries their own EVSE cords that plug in to the EVSE unit, and is responsible for maintaining and not breaking their own EVSE cord, and to prevent cord theft. VW sells e-Golfs to America as an afterthought. Different standards for charging in Europe.

VW is a German based company, and European nations are it's primary market for all cars, not the USA.

You need to understand that the Germans have very good reasons for what they do, even if you can't think of what they are or might be. Their cars are driven daily by engineers, but the requirements there are obviously different than here.

VW and BMW have jointly funded and put in an Electric highway, on a much smaller scale than Tesla has, on both East and West Coasts. No other car makers, GM, Ford, Fiat, Nissan, etc, has done that. Think about that, and who designed and financed and funded that plan, before commenting on something insignificant such as a locking device you personally can't stand. Look at the bigger picture, in the grand scheme of things, who is more committed in the USA of the short range car makers, to making electric transportation possible.

How wide-spread is this problem? I am seriously considering the 2017 Egolf and this thread is not building my confidence on the vehicle.

I doubt VW will give us the frequency of this problem, but I would imagine if enough people complain about it to NHTSA, there will be an in investigation and a recall, if necessary. Like others have posted, the problem is fixable with the correct long and thin tool to depress the lock solenoid armature (moveable pin) shown in the picture. I have had the car for almost 2 years and charge it about every 2 to three days and I have never experienced an issue with the lock sticking. I hope that VW offers an option like the Leaf to keep the receptacle unlocked or like the BMW i3 where the plug is locked during charging but will then unlock when charging is complete. Maybe the new 124 mile e-Golf will incorporate a change to the current setup. I think the e-Golf is a great EV and for my typical driving, 124 miles would be enough to cover all of my current long distance driving (one way) with no need to quick charge en route.

thanks F1. I've only owned VW's since my 1987 Golf GT and I really want to stay with VW. I appreciate your feedback

f1geek said:
I doubt VW will give us the frequency of this problem, but I would imagine if enough people complain about it to NHTSA, there will be an in investigation and a recall, if necessary. Like others have posted, the problem is fixable with the correct long and thin tool to depress the lock solenoid armature (moveable pin) shown in the picture. I have had the car for almost 2 years and charge it about every 2 to three days and I have never experienced an issue with the lock sticking. I hope that VW offers an option like the Leaf to keep the receptacle unlocked or like the BMW i3 where the plug is locked during charging but will then unlock when charging is complete. Maybe the new 124 mile e-Golf will incorporate a change to the current setup. I think the e-Golf is a great EV and for my typical driving, 124 miles would be enough to cover all of my current long distance driving (one way) with no need to quick charge en route.
I don't think it's reasonable to make a safety complaint about this issue. The car is failing in a safe condition. Sure, it's a huge inconvenience, but the car is disabled while already parked, so you can't get hurt. If it failed in an un-safe condition, then yes, definitely make a complaint. For example, some people have had the car lose power while driving down the freeway. That is a fault that should be reported to NHTSA.

What if you are stuck in a bad neighborhood because your car can't drive away? What if the weather is really bad and you need to get to a safe location? It's not like running out of gas and being in one of these situations because being stranded isn't the e-Golf driver's fault.

f1geek said:
What if you are stuck in a bad neighborhood because your car can't drive away? What if the weather is really bad and you need to get to a safe location? It's not like running out of gas and being in one of these situations because being stranded isn't the e-Golf driver's fault.

I've never, in over a million miles of driving in 40 years, have put myself or my car in the conditions you describe above. I'd suggest you do the same, too. Don't put yourself in such situation.

Yes, well I've never run out of gasoline either, but my wife has a few times. Everyone isn't the same and everyone isn't as fastidious as JoulesThief. The fact is that being stranded due to a locked EV plug is a safety hazard and if it happens to someone, that person should contact NHTSA.

f1geek said:
Yes, well I've never run out of gasoline either, but my wife has a few times. Everyone isn't the same and everyone isn't as fastidious as JoulesThief. The fact is that being stranded due to a locked EV plug is a safety hazard and if it happens to someone, that person should contact NHTSA.
How is it unsafe? It's the other mitigating circumstances you describe putting yourself in, that are unsafe. It's no more unsafe that not being able to travel from whereever you are because you have a flat tire, and no spare tire. You're stranded. Call AAA, get an AAA membership if you're so worried.

I am glad that I found this post.
I just found exactly the same problem in my 2015 eGolf.
I will be calling my VW dealer (the only one here in Eugene OR) and see how they solve this problem.
I'll keep you inform.

Back