Charging in New York City

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV4NYC

Hey Guys,

I am looking to purchase an eGolf, but I am not sure about charging infrastructure in New York City.
It seems as though it is all in private parking garages which will require me to pay those garage rates to get access to a charger. If New York City is serious about being a lead city for sustainability they need charging infrastructure that the public can access, not just those that can afford expensive garage parking. I am curious to understand the plight of others in the greater New York City area, how does it work for you.

Please let me know,

Thank you,
-Jason

Hi Jason

I am not aware of any charging stations in NYC that can be accessed without a parking fee. The only exception may be at dealerships. In New Jersey you can pull into most Nissan/Chevy/BMW dealers and plug in for free also park for free - have not tried this in New York though. These stations are provided as a courtesy to customers and those that have relied on them for regular charging have encountered resistance from dealers.

I live in NJ and drive to NYC. All of my charging is done at my house overnight. Several years ago there was talk of setting up public, street side charging stations in Manhattan but have not heard any news on that of late.:

http://www.plugincars.com/new-york-requires-lots-and-garages-be-built-ev-ready-129063.html

Hi Klusters,

Thank you for your reply. That is very sad to say the least, I am sure that there are many people that are willing to deal with the issues inherent with owning an electric vehicle without this hindrance. If New York City is serious, there should be street side charging, progress should not be held back by the fact that these parking price gougers are trying to take advantage of a situation.

Thanks

I think the city is doing a great job with charging stations in parking garages. It would be a major financial investment to wire stations to curbside parking spots, serve as an added burden on non-EV drivers looking for spaces and be inefficient if there are not enough spots or too many.

Back