Climatronic modes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading the 2016 e-Golf manual, I see that the Climatronic system has three modes linked to the driving mode:
  • Normal: Climatronic in normal mode.
  • Eco: Climatronic in consumption-optimized Eco mode.
  • Eco+: Climatronic heating and cooling function switched off.
What I'd like to see is a way to specify the Climatronic mode separately from the driving mode, so that I can select higher driving performance and minimize the impact of Climatronic.

Perhaps there's a way to do it, but I've missed the place in the manual where it is described?

Thanks!

DepletedZPM said:
Reading the 2016 e-Golf manual, I see that the Climatronic system has three modes linked to the driving mode:
What I'd like to see is a way to specify the Climatronic mode separately from the driving mode, so that I can select higher driving performance and minimize the impact of Climatronic.

Perhaps there's a way to do it, but I've missed the place in the manual where it is described?

Thanks!

Stop and thing about conserving electrons... and you'll see that the modes just preserve or limit consumption rates of electrons, to increase range. Anything that consumes electrons in the vehicle, is limited, or cut off/deleted with each advanced Eco mode.

Do an accounting of amps consumed, and you'll have your answer. You can do it manually, or VW will block you from doing it, it Eco mode, for those that are weak and have no control or will power to do it themselves.

You can't have both, it's either higher performance, and you shut off fan and heater or AC, or you get lower performance in exchange for extended range driven. It's all a compromise, you can't have it all. An e-Golf teaches you conservation, or performance with short range from battery... take your pick, which is more important to you.

If you wanted performance, you should have bought an R32, or a Golf TDI. 2 gallons of diesel fuel in a Golf TDi stores way more useable energy than a 700# li Ion battery with 21 kw of usable electricity. That's a really, really small tank of fuel in the e-Golf. Accept it for what it is, a short range electric inner city commuter, with 80 miles of range, 60 if you use a bunch of electrical consumers like AC or heater, or drive in a manner the german engineers never intended it to be driven in.

DepletedZPM said:

Thanks!
Eco+ mode just makes it so you can't turn it on, but Normal mode does not mean you can't turn it off.
The confusing part could be what Eco mode does since "consumption-optimized" is neither on nor off, which seems to be where you'd like to set it from your question.

If we knew those specific settings then we could drive in Normal and manually configure the climatronic controls to whatever "consumption-optimized" means. I don't think it's changing functionality of the system, but rather automatically limiting what you can or can not do with the dials. The best advice, I think, is to set the car in Eco mode and see what the climate control system can and can not do and then reproduce that in Normal mode.

JoulesThief said:
If you wanted performance, you should have bought an R32, or a Golf TDI.
I see your point, though you've placed much heavier emphasis on "performance" than I intended.

If I may rephrase, I'd just like some fresh air without turning on either heat or AC. The owner's manual apparently doesn't describe such a primitive option. But maybe the folks with longer experience with Climatronic know how to get the desired effect.

Cheers

DepletedZPM said:
JoulesThief said:
I see your point, though you've placed much heavier emphasis on "performance" than I intended.

If I may rephrase, I'd just like some fresh air without turning on either heat or AC. The owner's manual apparently doesn't describe such a primitive option. But maybe the folks with longer experience with Climatronic know how to get the desired effect.

Cheers
Don't worry, that's typical sarcasm from JoulesThief. Others will probably have more informative replies for you.

DepletedZPM said:
JoulesThief said:

Cheers

Thusly: Look at the ambient temperature outside, in the MFI in your dashboard. Set your Climatronic to the same temperature as the ambient temp showing , and turn the fan on what ever flow level you need. A 1 or 2 lights on setting on the fan switch will probably take off 2 or 3 miles from a full charge.

Monitor and change/ modify setting as necessary.

DepletedZPM said:
[If I may rephrase, I'd just like some fresh air without turning on either heat or AC. The owner's manual apparently doesn't describe such a primitive option. But maybe the folks with longer experience with Climatronic know how to get the desired effect.

If you turn the temp control until it reads "LO" and leave the A/C off, that should get you unheated and uncooled outside air.

GadgetGav said:
Don't worry, that's typical sarcasm from JoulesThief. Others will probably have more informative replies for you.
No worries. I suspect JoulesThief has fun crafting his responses, and I had a good chuckle from it myself.

RonDawg said:
DepletedZPM said:

If you turn the temp control until it reads "LO" and leave the A/C off, that should get you unheated and uncooled outside air.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I had suspected there might be an unfussy way to do it.

Personally, I am not fond of any of the Climatronics in any of my VW's. They do tend to fail, whereas the simple unit in my 2014 Passat TDI SE, as well as my 2002 Jetta GLS TDI, work forever, basic manual controls.

I suppose I'm in the "if it works, don't mess with it" camp of Luddites, having owned VW's exclusively since buying a '67 Beetle in 1977.

Back