EVSE "Chargers" with delay of start feature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CarNet delayed charging works for me with a JuiceBox green. As far as I know, you must use the car's delayed charging. You cannot use the charger's delayed charging.

This delayed charging should be a function of the Body Control Module, and the infotainment center, not some App like Car-Net, or on the EVSE manufacturer. The industry needs to create and agree to an industry standard, otherwise, this is pointless to talk about delayed charging. VW, very, very poorly executed on your part, shame on you. It should be no different than going into the infotainment center and setting the time, like on the clock inside the car. Set a departure time, and be done with it. Allow 4 or 6 or 8 different destinations to set the departure time.

Yeah. The folks at JuiceBox said car manufacturers don't follow the J1772 standard, which should allow remote charging to be controlled by the charger, which would allow the "green" feature of the Juice Box Green to work. Luckily I am able to set the delayed charging on the CarNet app and web page. I thought I read the Mercedes B-Class doesn't even have delayed charging, which is ok if the charger can control it. Plus their M-Brace app [also made by Verizon] is so bad, an owner created his own working version.

Obviously, since the chargers are on the car, the ability to control when the car charges should be on the Car, not on some EVSE that sits at home all the time hanging on your garage door wall, not with the car, if you are out on a trip out of town overnight. The overnight charge function belongs with the car, not the EVSE. Pretty much common sense, very disappointed with VW of America.

Someone needs to find a hack into the infotainment center and program in delayed charging feature under the setup "cog" icon for the 2015's. Delayed charging should be almost intuitive in finding in the infotainment center.

VW, you'll never be number one car in sales, when gross mistakes like this are made while trying to penetrate late into the EV market here in the USA. Maybe perhaps have someone at VW actually READ what the J1772 standard is here in the USA, before you bring the car to market here. Not like it's a newsflash, it IS a STANDARD.

And I can almost guarantee that with that locking feature on the 2015's with the charging handle, people on those SAE CCS speed chargers that charge to 80% in 20 minutes, are the same folks that can't get the damn charging handle off of their cars, because it is only charged to 80%, didn't read the owners manual about the keyfob unlock button, and rip the latches off the handles of the SAE CCS charger, thereby making them inoperative. AAB should be sending VW and BMW and whoever else uses that SAE combo handle the bill for all the broken handles, for not following J1772 standards on the lock feature, it needs to be disabled.
Also, there should be mandatory stay with your car for 20 minutes, and at least be present when the charger reaches 80% SOC in 20 mins protocol when level 3 speed charging, no running off leaving it to others to pull the plug on your car when it's done. Use it for 20 mins, and go to a level 2 charger if you really need to top off, it's a waste of others time using a speed charger for the last 10 minute portion of your charging on a level 3 machine in public.

Of course I'm having the same issue with the Siemens Versicharge. Their tech told me it's a known problem with VW and the delay won't work. I never bothered with using CarNet based on all of the horrible things I've read. So yeah until VW issues a patch or some other workaround delayed charging won't work. Buy the cheapest level 2 charger out there with no features and save yourself money and the bother of disappointment.

The Versicharge is already fairly priced for a UL listed unit. So, just use it as a basic unit and ignore its timer function. CarNet works, but it's confusing to set up and sometimes it doesn't work as-is when the car is delivered. Once you get the timer function set up, it just works.

<<<I guess this isn't a big deal since we can program the E-Golf to control when at night charging starts>>

I have experienced the same "going to sleep" problem with my e-Golf, when trying to have the charger start with a two-hour delay. This is of importance because, in Northern CA, my PG&E plan charges 1/3 of the daytime rates starting at 11 pm (after my normal bedtime). I have a smartphone but haven't found any way to have charging start on a delayed basis. If anyone knows how to do this on a smartphone (in my case, Apple 6plus S), I'd appreciate learning how. All inquiries to date to VW have drawn blanks.

bhorwich said:
<<<I guess this isn't a big deal since we can program the E-Golf to control when at night charging starts>>

I have experienced the same "going to sleep" problem with my e-Golf, when trying to have the charger start with a two-hour delay. This is of importance because, in Northern CA, my PG&E plan charges 1/3 of the daytime rates starting at 11 pm (after my normal bedtime). I have a smartphone but haven't found any way to have charging start on a delayed basis. If anyone knows how to do this on a smartphone (in my case, Apple 6plus S), I'd appreciate learning how. All inquiries to date to VW have drawn blanks.
Do you have a 2015 or 2016 e-Golf?

The 2015 e-Golf must use the "Volkswagen Car-Net USA" iOS app or the Car-Net Web Site. This video shows how use the web site to set it up. You must register for Car-Net services, but the EV specific features have no charge for 3 years.

The 2016 e-Golf can also delay charge based on settings in the Infotainment system. This video shows how to set the schedule in the car.

Delayed charging with Juicebox Pro 40 Green seems to work fine on my 2016 SE. I turned off departure time on my car and set the JB for a time of use schedule starting at 11pm. I plugged in around 7pm and the car began charging at 11pm. This has worked for two nights now. Maybe the sleep problem happens when the delayed charging occurs after more than 4 hours of inactivity?

Here is a fix for the OpenEVSE firmware https://github.com/lincomatic/open_evse to allow the Delay Timer feature to work with 2015 eGolfs (I haven't tested it with the 2016 eGolf). In J1772EvseController.cpp, the Enable function needs the modification below. This will toggle the pilot pin from -12V to +12V two times, with a 1 second delay between each transition, and this will "wake up" the charging system on the 2015 eGolf. By "wake up", I mean the amber light next to the J1772 plug will illuminate, and when in this state, the charging process can begin. I tested several different delays and toggling sequences, and this particular sequence has worked perfectly for the past 14 months.

Code:
void J1772EVSEController::Enable()
{
  if ((m_EvseState == EVSE_STATE_DISABLED)||
      (m_EvseState == EVSE_STATE_SLEEPING)) {
#ifdef SLEEP_STATUS_REG
    if (m_EvseState == EVSE_STATE_SLEEPING) {
      pinSleepStatus.write(0);
    }
#endif // SLEEP_STATUS_REG

m_PrevEvseState = EVSE_STATE_DISABLED;
    m_EvseState = EVSE_STATE_UNKNOWN;

// 2015 eGolf modification.  Toggling the pilot pin from -12V to +12V twice will
    // wake up the car (the amber light next to the charge port will turn on) and allow
    // charging to begin.
    wdt_disable();
    m_Pilot.SetState(PILOT_STATE_N12);
    delay(1000);
    m_Pilot.SetState(PILOT_STATE_P12);
    delay(1000);
    m_Pilot.SetState(PILOT_STATE_N12);
    delay(1000);
    m_Pilot.SetState(PILOT_STATE_P12);
    WDT_ENABLE();
  }
}

For those that have setup car-net "properly" to get this working, what exactly are you setting up? Leave by time? What about the battery% setting?

Horrible UI on car-net, to be sure.

nwahs1 said:
For those that have setup car-net "properly" to get this working, what exactly are you setting up? Leave by time? What about the battery% setting?

Horrible UI on car-net, to be sure.
min battery 10%
max battery 100%
Leave by 7am
off peak time 11pm - 7am

Doesn't min battery mean that if you plug in with more current capacity % than the min (i.e. you're 1/2 charged, but min is 1/4), it won't charge?

nwahs1 said:
Doesn't min battery mean that if you plug in with more current capacity % than the min (i.e. you're 1/2 charged, but min is 1/4), it won't charge?
min is immediate charge. If below min, ignore all timers and start now.

I think the car has changed from the original 2015 car. My 5-2016 SEL works flawlessly with my OpenEVSE. In fact it works too well. I do not have tiers and I set the car to charge to 80%. At that point I usually unplug the EVSE. If I forget it will be fully charged in the morning with limited regen initially.

forbin404 said:
nwahs1 said:

Well, two nights later, and two failures to "wake up" and charge.

I am really hoping that somebody develops some sort of service that will send commands to your car at midnight to turn on and start charging. Something that replicates what Carnet is doing. My 3 years is up pretty soon here and I'm not sure what will happen after that. But it certainly isn't working well now.

Looks like I will be manually plugging in at 10 or 11 p.m. every night going forward.

nwahs1 said:
forbin404 said:
nwahs1 said:

Well, two nights later, and two failures to "wake up" and charge.

I am really hoping that somebody develops some sort of service that will send commands to your car at midnight to turn on and start charging. Something that replicates what Carnet is doing. My 3 years is up pretty soon here and I'm not sure what will happen after that. But it certainly isn't working well now.

Looks like I will be manually plugging in at 10 or 11 p.m. every night going forward.
BTW you aren't using a Clipper Creek right?

As you know an EVSE delay holds the car in a standby mode.
The spec is that the car should wait forever for the go ahead from the EVSE. Wife's 500e does this just fine.
Problem is egolf goes to sleep and does not wake up.

The fix.......
Juicebox EVSE now drops and reapplies the standby signal when it's time to start charging.
This wakes egolf and charging begins as expected.

Issue was fixed some time ago. Apparently not all EVSE designs have implemented this egolf specific fix.

Barry

As I understand it, the J1772 specifications are optional. If you claim J1772 compliment then you have to adhere to all of it. (unless you are in China out of reach).

Back