Have to open door before being able to unlock charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More importantly, does anyone know how to manually force the lock to release in case of emergency (without breaking it)?

Recall BMW had some electrical issues in the 90s, and now all their crazy gizmo'd cars usually have a manual override backup in case of emergency.

SpdLmtNA said:
More importantly, does anyone know how to manually force the lock to release in case of emergency (without breaking it)?

Recall BMW had some electrical issues in the 90s, and now all their crazy gizmo'd cars usually have a manual override backup in case of emergency.

My 2015 SEL eGolf is parked in my driveway now, with the charging cable plugged in and locked onto the car. Somehow the car has decided that there is a charging fault and simply will not let go. Tried everything, but charging light goes red and port will not unlock. Per advice from a service dealer in CA that VW roadside assistance put me through to, I've disconnected our Clipper Creek Level 2 charger from our house and called a tow truck. The plan is to take the car, with the charger still attached, to a dealer.

Problem happened last night and it's now almost 10 am the next morning. Not sure what is the hold up on getting a tow truck, other than we can't put the car in neutral (can't move shifter out of park when you have a charging fault).

We had a flat tire in the fall & discovered the emergency kit in the car doesn't work. Luckily, that tow was quick & we were able to take car to our local dealer. This time, we have to go back to the dealer that leased us the car, because the local dealer doesn't have an e-Golf certified technician on staff.

I'm hoping that VW will get more serious about their electric cars and improve their dealer support. We leased a Nissan Leaf for three years before this e-Golf, and had no issues. But if we had, every Nissan dealer is required to have the equipment to service the Leaf.

Very different ownership experience. First week we had the car, no AC. Took it back to get the AC fixed. Then had the recall to fix the issue with the cars losing power while driving. Now the charging port locks and won't let go. My wife wants to get out of the rest of our lease and get back into a Leaf.

What do people think, are the e-Golfs less reliable than the Leafs?

Sometimes, I have to wiggle the plug, and then unlock it again. I think the pin gets wedged and it cannot retract.

VW - this is MOST frustrating!

Back