How's this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoulesThief said:
Sphinx said:
That does sound too good to be true. I wonder if this is bait and switch.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Price jumped up for no good reason. Good thing I don't need a car at all and glad I found out before I left my house.

miimura said:
The more efficiently you drive, the larger the number will be. So, if you stretch to get more miles out of the battery on one day, it will display more miles the next day. However, fully draining the battery will shorten its life and its actual energy storage capacity. Whether you notice the degradation or if it even matters to you is another story.

At what point do you consider the battery fully drained on an e-Golf? No one has defined on the e-Golf how much buffer VW left close to a full charge, and close to empty, on that 24.2kwh battery pack. But we all seem to agree that about 21kwh or a touch more is the useful amount allowed to be used, with safe buffers on the top and bottom.

This summer, I am showing pretty consistently 5.9 to 6.2 or 6.3 miles per kwh, on the infotainment center. 100 miles on a charge is no problem, 15 to 20 miles left most times... 10 miles left if I run it to 110 miles on a recharge. I try to keep it out of the "18 miles left" warning, as much as is possible.

I ran mine down to about 5 miles left, or maybe a little less.

I tried to make it to SD and got to Golden Acorn with about 20 miles left. Didn't have enough to make it to Alpine so wife and I had to turn around and try to make it 60 miles back home. We got within a few miles of the house before I pulled over at a rest stop and called roadside assistance. I wanted to leave the guy with a few miles left to get it up and off the trailer. Called a friend to pick us up in the TDI, left the keys in the car, locked it with my phone, and told the dispatcher to have the driver call me when he got there.

I believe that's the lowest we've taken it. I'll try again in the winter. If I can't make it then I'll just have them tow it in for the recalls.

How far is VW of Coachella Valley from you? Are there RV parks you could recharge at along the way, if you brought your own level 2 EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug? I show 90 miles on Google maps and you don't have any mountain ranges to go up and over. 90 miles is easily doable if you turn the AC off and do 55 mph the whole way. I can do 110 to 115 miles at that rate. Just set the cruise control at 55 if you have one, and you'll make it. You might sweat a little due to heat, but you should make it.

As I've said before, driving faster, if you have a max range trip, doesn't save you any time, it costs you time. At level 2 charging with 3.6kwh, you can disharge 6x as fast as you can recharge, with a standard SE model Golf. So slow down, and make the distance on one charge.

https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/60319

It's 100 miles away but driving without A/C is not an option because the temperatures are over 110-120F. Once we get there it has to charge overnight to go anywhere else. But if you're just talking about getting it serviced my wife can follow behind in one of the TDIs. But if it's just for service the tow truck is free anyway.

We were going to SD for a picnic and wanted to test it out. We would have made it but I burned about 5 miles going in to town for snacks before the trip. The mountain range between SD and Imperial is nearly symmetrical so once we get to the top we can drop down on regen. I might have to do 40mph at the base of the mountains, though. Not sure if 55 can make it. There's a lot of wind along that Salton Sea, too, which could really hammer the range.

bizzle said:
It's 100 miles away but driving without A/C is not an option because the temperatures are over 110-120F. Once we get there it has to charge overnight to go anywhere else. But if you're just talking about getting it serviced my wife can follow behind in one of the TDIs. But if it's just for service the tow truck is free anyway.

We were going to SD for a picnic and wanted to test it out. We would have made it but I burned about 5 miles going in to town for snacks before the trip. The mountain range between SD and Imperial is nearly symmetrical so once we get to the top we can drop down on regen. I might have to do 40mph at the base of the mountains, though. Not sure if 55 can make it. There's a lot of wind along that Salton Sea, too, which could really hammer the range.
This is why I demand, at a minimum, the 7.2kwh charger on board, if not standard, as an option. The charging locations i suggested will cut that 100 miles down enough to give you battery to spare. You're possibly going to wait a long, long time for VW to provide you a tow truck, just so you know, in advance. They hire the cheapest available, service usually suffers severely as a result.

On 240V at 7.2kwh, with the way I drive, I add very close to 40 miles of travel per hour of recharging. It pays to drive an e-Golf slow, it extends the range. How were you going to recharge at the picnic in time?

If you have a hitch on the TDI, I'd find a way to tow the e-golf 20 or 30 miles on the flats in neutral on a full charge, then drive the rest of the way in. Same way on the way home.

We've had this conversation before. I don't understand why you insist on rehashing it multiple times over. You're retired so you can afford to wait on the side of the road charging your car for an hour or more.

I'm not going to tow my eGolf behind my TDI. I have free roadside assistance from VW. Last time I needed VW roadside assistance they were at the car in 20 minutes and I didn't even need to be there. As I wrote earlier, I left the keys in the car and unlocked it remotely. They can tow it to whichever dealership they want and then they can tow it back.

I don't understand why you are trying to convince me to drive a hundred miles up the eastern side of the state anyway as if there's some reason I need to get to Coachella and sit around for hours while the car recharges. I already drove it from Murrieta to San Diego to home so I'm well aware of how to complete a journey of that length if I need to. I don't see any reason to double my travel time for no reason whatsoever or to buy a faster charger that is practically useless since it wouldn't help me get anywhere I want to go.

bizzle said:
We've had this conversation before. I don't understand why you insist on rehashing it multiple times over. You're retired so you can afford to wait on the side of the road charging your car for an hour or more.

I'm not going to tow my eGolf behind my TDI. I have free roadside assistance from VW. Last time I needed VW roadside assistance they were at the car in 20 minutes and I didn't even need to be there. As I wrote earlier, I left the keys in the car and unlocked it remotely. They can tow it to whichever dealership they want and then they can tow it back.

I don't understand why you are trying to convince me to drive a hundred miles up the eastern side of the state anyway as if there's some reason I need to get to Coachella and sit around for hours while the car recharges. I already drove it from Murrieta to San Diego to home so I'm well aware of how to complete a journey of that length if I need to. I don't see any reason to double my travel time for no reason whatsoever or to buy a faster charger that is practically useless since it wouldn't help me get anywhere I want to go.

That's a sorry excuse for a tow. I'd be embarrassed to even make the call, such poor planning on your part.

Back