Most You Have Paid To Charge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GLX

Okay, other than installing an EVSE at your house, what is the most you have paid to charge? I have been researching chargers in my area and I see a few that state up to $8 hour/$5 minimum for a DCFC station. This is in the Virginia Beach-Norfolk area of Virginia.

For fast charging, NRG EVgo has the biggest network in America. Occasional use is expensive. The Flex Plan which has no monthly fee is $4.95 to start a session plus $0.20/minute. The chargers automatically stop after 30 minutes. That is $10.95 for a 30 minute session. If you need more energy after that, you have to pay the session fee again. If you will consistently use it twice a month, you're better off paying the $15/month fee for the On-the-go Plan. That eliminates the session fee and reduces the usage fee to $0.10/minute. There is an early termination fee of $29 if you don't keep it 12 months. However, even for a road trip that will use more than 6 sessions, you could pay the ETF and still come out ahead. Some of their locations allow Pay With Plugshare which is $9.95 for 30 minutes, slightly cheaper than the Flex plan fee, but I haven't tried it.

On the other hand, there is a ChargePoint location with 4 fast chargers on a route that I regularly travel that only charges $0.25/kWh and no per minute fee for the first hour. Stopping for 10-15 minutes and paying less than $2 is a no-brainer even if only to build up a little cushion so I don't let the SOC get so low. Even as a passenger, my wife gets range anxiety, so I just stop so she feels more comfortable and so that during this time of year we have no reservations about running the cabin heater. I never used paid ChargePoint locations of any kind until this one opened. If you're making an airport run to SFO from the South Bay, this the THE place to stop for a quick charge.

miimura said:
For fast charging, NRG EVgo has the biggest network in America. Occasional use is expensive. The Flex Plan which has no monthly fee is $4.95 to start a session plus $0.20/minute. The chargers automatically stop after 30 minutes. That is $10.95 for a 30 minute session.

Holly cow, $10.95 just for 30 minutes. Well, at least that will get my e-Golf to over 90% on most occasions but $11 for one charge is outrageous. I guess that is where you pay to save greenhouse gases and fossil fuels but not your wallet. I mainly purchased to save my wallet. I will be driving 25K miles annually just in commuting to work with $1 day to charge.

We have Chargepoint+ and Greenlots mostly around here. The places that charge are normally gas stations with the DCFC and the more private locations. Some of the Greenlots locations were $5/hour-$8/hour but the ones I will use regularly are free other than being in a public parking garage. The fee for the garage is only $1 for up to 3 hours though, so that is minimal. I will only be subject to the higher rate stations if I choose to be. I have to look for some NRG EVgo's now out of curiosity.

I tried to avoid EVgo L3s on my roadtrip when possible. But I am pretty sure that I charged for more than 30 minutes on couple of EVgo sessions, as they didn't automatically shut off. Calling customer service for authorization in the first place may have had something to do with it. Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised to see $13-$14 bills for those sessions next month.

For a Level 2 the Blink network charges 45c / kwh. Considering I currently pay 13kwh that's expensive.

Chargepoints around the SoCal are $1.00 per hour. That comes to 33c / kwh on a SE and 17c / kwh on a SEL if no other car is plugged in.

My office has SEMA Connect chargers that are $2/hr for L2 charging that goes up to $5/hr after the first two hours. The first two hours come out to about $0.40/kWh which is PG&E's peak rate so I guess it makes sense??? That being said, I only charge there when I absolutely need to.

I considered the On-The-Go plan from EvGo, but ended up signing up for the Flex plan since I would only use DCFC on occasion (definitely less than once a month).

95GLX said:
Okay, other than installing an EVSE at your house, what is the most you have paid to charge? I have been researching chargers in my area and I see a few that state up to $8 hour/$5 minimum for a DCFC station. This is in the Virginia Beach-Norfolk area of Virginia.

I'm assuming by research that you've already tried the smartphone apps out there? Here in the Midwest a number of the local malls and anchor stores (i.e., Kohls, Walgreens) have either L2 or QC stations; some are totally free. Best bet is to try PlugShare and look under the details for each station close by you:

https://www.plugshare.com

No question that the DC QC stations aren't cheap to use! When Nissan offered free 90-day access as part of the whole diminished battery capacity settlement for the LEAF we owned, we took advantage of it and afterwards once we saw how much it would cost if we paid for it --- the convenience aspect didn't outweigh charging it at home --- plus our 'new' e-Golf can charge at L2 at home in less than half the time (3.3kW for '12 LEAF; 7.2kW for e-Golf) it took for the LEAF. I have used a free L2 nearby where I work a few times to just give it a try (run by a company called Volta) and theirs works great; the QC stations that seemed to work best were run by NRG (at least the ones out this way).

I now charge almost exclusively at home. LADWP, in a usage rate of $.17 per kwh. I use $15 to $20 a month in electricity in the e-Golf. The 2015 SEL is usually fully charged in 2.5 to 3 hours. I get 5.6 to 6.3 miles per kwh, all the time.

JoulesThief said:
I now charge almost exclusively at home. LADWP, in a usage rate of $.17 per kwh. I use $15 to $20 a month in electricity in the e-Golf. The 2015 SEL is usually fully charged in 2.5 to 3 hours. I get 5.6 to 6.3 miles per kwh, all the time.

Still a NEWBEE, what is LADWP?

$.17 per KWH, ouch California. I pay $.10 flat rate in NC.

I need to know your tricks for 5.6 to 6.3 miles/KWH. I have stretched to 4.9/5.1 at best, average 4.3 over the extended period of 2200 miles since I started driving the car daily 30 days ago. I am mostly highway and country roads though and in flat country. Regular commute is 31.69 miles each way with 4 stop signs, 7 traffic lights, and a security gate to get on base in the morning (can add 12-20 mins of stop and go) I average 36 MPH at 4.23 m/KWH and 52 minutes coming in and 47 MPH, 4.4 m/KWH at 40 minutes going home . Almost always in ECO+ and B regenerative, only thing that runs constant other than the motor is the radio. I assume you have more regen opportunities then I do?

95GLX said:
JoulesThief said:

Still a NEWBEE, what is LADWP?
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

Back