Really basic climate control question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 30 degrees outside. I have my desired temp set to 72. I hit the "Auto" button. The A/C turns on. Why?

When I'm in the car, this isn't an issue, but this morning I used carnet to turn on climate control before a drive. I hoped to get into a warm car, but when I got in, the AC was on. For some reason, "Auto" seems to mean "A/C."

You can hit the A/C button and turn off the A/C, if you like. The reason it comes on in Auto mode is so that if you have fog on the inside of your windows, the low humidity air, facilitated by the A/C, will keep your windows clear and improve you chances of not crashing. VW is always thinking about safety, as are most other manufacturer's cars which will turn on A/C when you put HVAC into full auto mode.

got it, makes sense. But then when I use carnet to pre-warm, it's going to have both the A/C and the heater on?

I imagine so. I don't believe there is a way to get it out of Auto mode during pre-heating. That way, you have de-fogged windows before you begin driving. I can think of many times I have needed both heat and A/C during really humid, rainy driving conditions.

Back