Talk me out of buying a new 2017 SE e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a 2017 e-golf for 500 under invoice, and additional $4000 off from VW credit, qualify for the $7500 from the feds and no sales tax for Bev in NJ. An SE would cost under $20k after all that. Totally worth it.

Despite the many good points re: leasing, I did end up purchasing also, just like audiphile in the previous post. With the $4000 rebate from VW for the 0% financing, the $30,000 price I paid for the SE w/ fast charge, and the $10,000 in rebates ($2500 in CA state rebate, and $7500 fed. tax credit), that brought the full price to $19,200 w/ tax and license (once all rebates are considered). Seems like a good price to pay for a new, electric vehicle with a range decent enough for the driving I do. Without the $4000 VW incentive, though, I wouldn't have gone with the VW e-Golf, whether leasing or buying. I would have waited to see what the Nissan Leaf is like or paid a bit more for the Bolt, and probably leased one of them.

ckdavis said:
Despite the many good points re: leasing, I did end up purchasing also, just like audiphile in the previous post. With the $4000 rebate from VW for the 0% financing, the $30,000 price I paid for the SE w/ fast charge, and the $10,000 in rebates ($2500 in CA state rebate, and $7500 fed. tax credit), that brought the full price to $19,200 w/ tax and license (once all rebates are considered). Seems like a good price to pay for a new, electric vehicle with a range decent enough for the driving I do. Without the $4000 VW incentive, though, I wouldn't have gone with the VW e-Golf, whether leasing or buying. I would have waited to see what the Nissan Leaf is like or paid a bit more for the Bolt, and probably leased one of them.

I did buy my 2015 SEL e-Golf too. Back in Oct of 2015. MSRP was $36,300. i paid $25,200. Then there was the $7500 Federal Tax Credit and the $2500 State rebate here in CA. That brought my total cost down to $15,200 before sale tax. For that price I can sit on my 2015 SEL for a long, long time. The TDI passat handles anything that requires more mileage. I regularly get 100 -105+ miles from a charge, with 10 to 15 miles left. Pretty standard driving routine, recharge every 3 or 4 normal trips. It's getting cooler now during the day, my trips are down to at or under 6.0 miles per kWh. During the summer here in Southern California, pretty regular to get 6.2 to 6.3 miles per kWh. I anticipate it down to 5.5 miles per kWh by December through February.

JoulesThief said:
I did buy my 2015 SEL e-Golf too. Back in Oct of 2015. MSRP was $36,300. i paid $25,200. Then there was the $7500 Federal Tax Credit and the $2500 State rebate here in CA. That brought my total cost down to $15,200 before sale tax. For that price I can sit on my 2015 SEL for a long, long time.

How long had the 2015 SEL e-Golf been out when you managed to get it for a little over $10k below MSRP (before incentives)? Sounds like you got a really great deal! I'm looking at the 2017 version of what you have, but I'm led to believe your kind of deal is probably only likely way into next year. I'm also looking for the Driver's Assistance Package (which annoyingly isn't out yet).

MickM said:
JoulesThief said:
I did buy my 2015 SEL e-Golf too. Back in Oct of 2015. MSRP was $36,300. i paid $25,200. Then there was the $7500 Federal Tax Credit and the $2500 State rebate here in CA. That brought my total cost down to $15,200 before sale tax. For that price I can sit on my 2015 SEL for a long, long time.

How long had the 2015 SEL e-Golf been out when you managed to get it for a little over $10k below MSRP (before incentives)? Sounds like you got a really great deal! I'm looking at the 2017 version of what you have, but I'm led to believe your kind of deal is probably only likely way into next year. I'm also looking for the Driver's Assistance Package (which annoyingly isn't out yet).

It had been out about a year.

ckdavis said:
full price to $19,200 w/ Seems like a good price to pay for a new, electric vehicle with a range decent enough for the driving I do. Without the $4000 VW incentive,
Similar deal in Santa Rosa, CA, plus $2000 rebate from Sonoma Clean power, $500 for wrong color (so the dealer could avoid a dealer trade) and $3000 rebate from NoSoCoAir.org. Total of about $35K MSRP+Tax, less $19.5K in rebates and tax incentive=$16k cost. The lease was something like $400 for a 36 month lease cost of about $14.7K. Residual at that time was 13K. So the way I figure it, buying gives me the same deal as if the residual was $1.3K. Or if I can sell it at the end of 36 months for more than $1.3K I will be money ahead.

Back