Turn off Apple CarPlay for a while?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirby

:?:
When I took delivery, they walked me through CarPlay pairing. I would rather not deal with it for now and just rely on Bluetooth. But, I would still like to use the USB port in the bottom of the dash to charge the phone. I cannot figure out how to get the car and the phone to forget about each other. Any help is appreciated.

kirby said:
When I took delivery, they walked me through CarPlay pairing. I would rather not deal with it for now and just rely on Bluetooth. But, I would still like to use the USB port in the bottom of the dash to charge the phone. I cannot figure out how to get the car and the phone to forget about each other. Any help is appreciated.

Suggestion.... familiarize yourself with everything else on the car first, concentrate on driving the first week or so, and come back to the Iphone charging issue later... or just buy a cigarette lighter plug in to iPhone adapter instead, and don't hassle with the automatic connect feature the stock USB cable provides.

Drive first, mess with electrical gadgets later, once you get the basics down on your new car... you will find that with german cars, there is an "adaptation" phase. That phase is you adapting to your new car and what it does and does not do, compared to your last vehicle. Don't get mad at what it doesn't do, adapt to do without.

JoulesThief said:
kirby said:

Suggestion.... familiarize yourself with everything else on the car first, concentrate on driving the first week or so, and come back to the Iphone charging issue later... or just buy a cigarette lighter plug in to iPhone adapter instead, and don't hassle with the automatic connect feature the stock USB cable provides.

Yea, that's what I was trying to do by leaving CarPlay off. I assumed it would be trivial to undo, but even after making my phone "forget" the car, it still auto connects. In my previous vehicle, I had a small 12V charger and a short USB cable that works perfectly from that USB port in the Golf's dash. I'll just use a longer cable and the 12V farther back in the center console.

kirby said:
JoulesThief said:
kirby said:

Yea, that's what I was trying to do by leaving CarPlay off. I assumed it would be trivial to undo, but even after making my phone "forget" the car, it still auto connects. In my previous vehicle, I had a small 12V charger and a short USB cable that works perfectly from that USB port in the Golf's dash. I'll just use a longer cable and the 12V farther back in the center console.

Can you turn off Bluetooth and wifi function on your smartphone, so it's shut off and not broadcasting a ping signal that the car picks up to handshake/pair?

On the 2016, CarPlay is by USB cable only. I took your advice about tackling one thing at a time. For now, I'm just doing everything by bluetooth without charging the phone in the car. For long trips, I'll use the 12V socket in the console.

Back