Would you be interested in a battery upgrade for 1st gen ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristan

1) It seems the 2017 battery can fit in the same space as the first generation eGolf.
2) Kreisel managed to put a 55KW battery with the same dimension and weight as the original battery.
3) A 48KW battery might be in the works ( confirmed, then updated but if you read the update it says it can go both ways ).

I would like to petition or maybe request is a better term, for a battery upgrade being proposed.

I just love my eGolf and want it to do more, but the battery is a bit weak, in particular in winter time here in Norway.

Since battery cost is about 200$ per KW (less for Tesla), minimum cost of such an upgrade if it was to happen now would be 9600 - 11000$.

Would you upgrade your car ? What would be the best way to proceed according to you ? Online petition, going in forums everywhere, contacting VW first ... ?

what about the trade in for the existing battery value ? has to be a secondary market for them - either install as a repair replacement or deconstruct for other purposes ... a credit of ? towards the upgrade ... thinking aloud

Financially, this makes little sense, at least for USA owners. Currently, a 2015 eGolf SEL like mine goes for between US $14k to as much as $20k using AutoTrader.com. Assuming you can trade it in for $10k on a 2018, and assuming you're a Californian like me and can get a $2500 rebate + the Federal $7500 tax credit, that's now $20k towards a brand new one.

SEL Premium is $37k without options (making it closer to the way a 2015 eGolf SEL was equipped), so your net cost is $17k + taxes and government fees. So for US $6k extra you're getting a brand new car with a brand new car's warranty (not sure if VWoA's new 6 year/72k warranty applies to the 2018 eGolf). And that's assuming you're willing to pay full price; VW sales aren't exactly red hot in the US and it's not hard to negotiate significant discounts.

Kosta said:
what about the trade in for the existing battery value ? has to be a secondary market for them - either install as a repair replacement or deconstruct for other purposes ... a credit of ? towards the upgrade ... thinking aloud

Good point. I have no idea about that.
Maybe VW could factor it in the price, maybe there is a second hand market indeed- (but to what end ? Current cars probably still have the warranty, other cars are not compatible ... Maybe for raw materials in recycling ?

RonDawg said:
Financially, this makes little sense, at least for USA owners. Currently, a 2015 eGolf SEL like mine goes for between US $14k to as much as $20k using AutoTrader.com. Assuming you can trade it in for $10k on a 2018, and assuming you're a Californian like me and can get a $2500 rebate + the Federal $7500 tax credit, that's now $20k towards a brand new one.

SEL Premium is $37k without options (making it closer to the way a 2015 eGolf SEL was equipped), so your net cost is $17k + taxes and government fees. So for US $6k extra you're getting a brand new car with a brand new car's warranty (not sure if VWoA's new 6 year/72k warranty applies to the 2018 eGolf). And that's assuming you're willing to pay full price; VW sales aren't exactly red hot in the US and it's not hard to negotiate significant discounts.

I see. It would make sense in Norway though, I'm not sure for other countries. Is this site 100% US owners or ... ?

tristan said:
Kosta said:

Good point. I have no idea about that.
Maybe VW could factor it in the price, maybe there is a second hand market indeed- (but to what end ? Current cars probably still have the warranty, other cars are not compatible ... Maybe for raw materials in recycling ?

RonDawg said:

I see. It would make sense in Norway though, I'm not sure for other countries. Is this site 100% US owners or ... ?

Mostly North American owners.... 90% + USA and some new Canadians that started getting the 35.8 kWh in the past 6 to 8 months that participate.

RonDawg said:

Cut directly from the VW America web site vw.com:
2018_People_First_Warranty_Exclusion.jpg

miimura said:

Which is baffling as it has fewer things to go wrong (no engine or transmission), and what is left besides the propulsion method is pretty much identical to an ICE Golf. The batteries have their own warranty.

RonDawg said:
miimura said:

Which is baffling as it has fewer things to go wrong (no engine or transmission), and what is left besides the propulsion method is pretty much identical to an ICE Golf. The batteries have their own warranty.

Battery has a 8 year 100,000 mile 70% or better range warranty on it. No idea why VW doesn't warranty other parts. I suspect public chargers can be somewhat problematic to the charging.

Back