timh18

Rolling the dice on floor mats

Fri May 18, 2018 7:22 am

2017 e-Golf, and I needed to upgrade the crappy stock floor mats. I've always had tremendous success with Weathertech, but, as noted in other posts on this forum, they don't make a set specific to our e-Golf. After doing some reading it sounded like the 2017 e-Golf was identical to the 2018 "regular" Golf.

So here's what I did, all Weathertech:
- Cargo mat - this one was actually designed for our e-Golf, I'm assuming because the trunk is identical to a regular Golf
- Rear mats - these are just an okay fit. Under the seat, towards the front of the vehicle, you can definitely tell they aren't designed for the e-Golf (don't really care though, as this part is hidden). Also towards the back of the vehicle, where your feet would go, there's a little bit of bubbling on the edge. Not bad enough to deal with returning though.
- Front mats - these arrive today or tomorrow, but now I'm nervous, given the only okay fit in the rear seats. Wish me luck!
2017 e-Golf SEL, purchased. Black with beige/black interior.

RonDawg

Re: Rolling the dice on floor mats

Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 am

Having a Golf Alltrack myself, I can tell you that the floorpan area around the seats is different on the eGolf. There is a pronounced hump for the batteries that sticks out from beneath the front seats that isn't there on the petroleum-powered versions. That's why the mats of a "regular" Golf don't fit an eGolf; they're too big. You could put eGolf mats in a regular Golf but they will be too small, and the inboard post to secure the mat will be in the wrong place. The regular Golf's rear mats mostly fit, but not quite as you found out.

(I put the "Monster Mats" from my Alltrack into my eGolf to verify this.)

If you need a winter-type mat, VW sells a specific version for the eGolf. They come from Europe and have a different pattern to them than the "Monster Mats" sold at US VW dealers: http://a.co/9FSx8FF
2015 eGolf SEL (originally leased, bought out lease)
former EV: 2012 Nissan Leaf SV (lease returned)
Range Extender: 2017 VW Golf Alltrack S 4Motion

Amadeus

Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 am

Just for future reference, TuxMat has a set specifically made for the eGolf.
I like them more than the WeatherTech mats I had for my A3 TDI.

msvphoto

Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 am

VW offers rubber front mats made for the eGolf that have worked well for us. Not cheap, but I managed to get a free set from the dealer I have been working with. I like them better than the WeatherTech mats we had in our Audi allroad.

You might be able to cut down the WeatherTech to fit but you would loose the spill catching lip in the back.
2015 e-Golf SEL my wife's daily, shared on weekends
2000 BMW 540iT my daily and our range extender
1986 Audi 4000 quattro "the cockroach" my alternate daily
1983 Audi Ur Quattro "the garage queen" looks pretty and appreciates daily

Turbinator

Fri May 18, 2018 2:03 pm

I went with the factory rubber mats for the e-Golf, I managed to negotiate them for free with my vehicle purchase. So far, happy with how they work. I like how the front mats attach to the floor. The rear mats don't, so I have to keep repositioning them from time to time to ensure coverage, but otherwise, so far so good.
2017 e-Golf SE
5.1kWh Solar System

haysman

Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Any update on if the 2018 golf mats work in an e-golf?

timh18

Tue May 29, 2018 3:25 pm

The 2018 Golf mats did NOT work. It was super frustrating because they are very, very close, but the e-Golf battery takes up just enough space that they don't fit.

Instead, I got the VW rubber mats. I'm very happy with them so far.
2017 e-Golf SEL, purchased. Black with beige/black interior.

dephan

Wed May 30, 2018 6:19 pm

I bought the TUXMAT at January. Very good though the winter.
Still use as 4 season.
Feel & look nice. I can fit them in even with the stock summer mat below.

flyboy320

Wed May 30, 2018 6:50 pm

dephan wrote:I bought the TUXMAT at January. Very good though the winter.
Still use as 4 season.
Feel & look nice. I can fit them in even with the stock summer mat below.
+1

Mine have been very easy to clean, even easier than Weathertech's, and fit right.

Return to “General / Main e-Golf Owners Forum”